locked Mostly used words in My text

Marco Oros

Hello.

I would like to know, which words are mostly used in My text. Is there something to know It, for example some addons?

Thank You.

Marco

Rui Fontes

WordCount.

You can get it from the oficial repository...

Best regards,

Rui Fontes
NVDA portuguese team

Às 10:36 de 14/12/2021, Marco Oros escreveu:

Hello.

I would like to know, which words are mostly used in My text. Is there something to know It, for example some addons?

Thank You.

Marco

Gene

What are you asking?  Are you asking for a word count?  If so, what word processor are you using?  Some word processors can tell you the number of words in a document.

I would like to know, which words are mostly used in My text. Is there
something to know It, for example some addons?

Thank You.

Marco

Hi Marco,

Are you talking about word frequency?

Cheers,

Joseph

On Tue, Dec 14, 2021 at 09:38 AM, Joseph Lee wrote:
Are you talking about word frequency?
-
That's what it sounds like from the description to me, too.  MS-Word does not have this function by default, but the gentleman who runs the site wordribbon.tips.net has an excellent article with two pre-built macros that you can insert into a single document, or into your Normal.dotm if you want every document you create to have the capability.  One counts the frequency of a single word you specify, the other generates a word frequency list, ignoring a subset of words such as, "a," "the," etc., that the user can add to if they wish in the macro itself.  See the article:  Generating a Count of Word Occurrences

Another VBA macro that may (or may not, as I have not assessed either the above or this one for accessibility) be preferable due to its user interface was written by Greg Moxey, and can be found for download at the end of this article: Word Usage & Frequency Report

On Tue, Dec 14, 2021 at 11:12 AM, Brian Vogel wrote:
Another VBA macro that may (or may not, as I have not assessed either the above or this one for accessibility) be preferable due to its user interface was written by Greg Moxey, and can be found for download at the end of this article: Word Usage & Frequency Report
-
By the way, I decided to test this solution out, if a frequency list is what you're looking for, and I have to say it is spectacular and spectacularly accessible with one small exception, which I'll get to.

The ZIP file he gives for download includes two different MS-Word macro-enabled templates, one for older versions of word that use the DOT file format and one for the newer, that use the DOTX file format.  I only played with the latter which, if you activate it, opens a blank document with the macro add-in, but with macros disabled.  You have to enable them in order for the add-in to be functional.  If you intend to use this DOTX file repeatedly, it might make sense to open the DOTX file directly, then resave it under another name, as I believe that macro-enabled files you have created and saved will not give you the macro content disabled warning each time you activate them to create a file.  I could be wrong about that.

The Add-In actually is accessible from the Add-In tab in word, which appears when a document is generated using this template.  You get to that by hitting ALT + X.  If there is only one add-in, and that's the case here, you can then hit Y after having hit ALT + X and the macro is invoked with its dialog.  I am not going to explain the dialog, as it is reasonably self-explanatory, and you need to play with the options.  I will say that unless the radio buttons are activated for word exclusion and/or limiting words actually frequency indexed, the text boxes that allow you to enter your pipe-separated lists of same will not be accessible.  You are only allowed in the edit box if the option is chosen.

After hitting the OK button at the bottom, and I'll presume you elected to use the option to create a separate document that will contain your frequency count for the document you're actually working on, the processing will occur and then the frequency count document will open.  Here is where the accessibility issue comes in.  When that document opens, so does a dialog box telling you that processing is complete, but that dialog box is, for some reason, never given focus.  Unless you dismiss it, you cannot begin reading your word frequency table.  I have had the best luck just by hitting ALT + F4 to close it.  There may be other better techniques to gain focus on it and hit the OK button, and I leave that to others to share what they've found.

I have reported this accessibility issue to the original developer, and there might be a fix eventually, but even as it stands it really doesn't prevent the use of what he's created so long as you know that "invisible dialog" is there and that you need to dismiss it prior to having access to your word frequency table in the generated document.  If I do hear back from the developer, I will share what he's said here.

Received from Greg Maxey less than two hours after my initial report:

Thanks for the feedback.  Not sure if I can do anything about that or not but I will try to take a look at it ASAP.  I am getting ready for a short trip this week so it could be a week or more.  If you don’t hear back and think to, you can shoot me a reminder in a week or so.

I'll keep the cohort posted as events do, or do not, progress.

By the way, I am going to lock this topic now, as it's really not about NVDA.

I have created the topic, Word Frequency Count Generation in MS-Word, in the Chat Subgroup for continuation of this discussion.  It gives a direct link back to this topic for anyone who may need to "get up to speed" on what has already been said.

Additional information regarding a template that will generate a word usage and frequency report for any document created using that template is in the previously noted Chat Subgroup topic, specifically message

This topic remains locked.

        ~ Dorothy Nevill