mouse hover

Monte Single

Hi List,

Lately I have come across online pages where I am supposed to let the mouse hover  on a link or message for “moreoptions”.

Can I do the equivilant   of a mouse hover  with nvda and not tare my hair out?

Thanks,

Mont

Gene

I often find that on web pages, using NVDA, the mouse can't be moved to your current position.  I don't know if other screen-readers allow that.  But even if you could, it would be very cumbersome to use such a way of working in NVDA.

In JAWS, when you are on such a link, you hear mouse over announced. There is a JAWS command to do the equivalent of hovering the mouse over the link.  You are told something like, page changes at line 11.  You can then use a jump to line command to jump to that line and see what has changed.  You can, as I recall, use a return to your previous position command when you want to go back to where you were.

With NVDA, you would have to hover the mouse, and with no feed back about where the page changed, look through the page to see if you could find where the new material is.

I almost never miss information I want by not using this feature.  I can't say I don't miss any information but I have never missed the ability.  And in JAWS, I often find that mouse over links add nothing useful, maybe changing the page visually in some way in some place.

Others who use the Internet in different ways may have different opinions but I suspect that this is one of the most unneeded possible features and I suspect that that is why JAWS is the only screen-reader to have it.

Gene

On 5/1/2022 5:40 PM, Monte Single wrote:

Hi List,

Lately I have come across online pages where I am supposed to let the mouse hover  on a link or message for “moreoptions”.

Can I do the equivilant   of a mouse hover  with nvda and not tare my hair out?

Thanks,

Mont

Steve Nutt

Hi Jean,

In certain applications like Quickbooks, the Mouse Over thing expands a menu, so you have to use it.

NVDA isn’t good at coping with Mouse Overs, JAWS takes you directly to it, with Control Insert Enter, but you may be able to achieve the same with NVDA Key and Enter.

All the best

Steve

[...]

NVDA key enter isn't described in input help.  All NVDA says is NVDA enter.  What does it do that just enter doesn't?

Gene

On 5/3/2022 9:50 AM, Steve Nutt wrote:

[...]

I believe that NVDA Enter performs an actual mouse click on the item.

And yes, it does work in Quickbooks, but unlike JAWS, it doesn’t take you to the expanded menu.

So it’s implemented, but not quite so well.

All the best

Steve

[...]

Jason Bratcher

NVDA+Enter is supposed to act on the object at the NVDA's current focus location.
Perhaps a description like "act on the current object in focus."
Jason Bratcher

Gene

I don't know what the laptop command is but the desktop command is NVDA key numpad enter.  I didn't recognize the command when described as NVDA enter because I thought the main enter key on the keyboard was being referenced.  That is not a mouse over command.  Links do not have as their main action what they do when the mouse hovers over them.  NVDA key numpad enter performs the default action, in other words, the link will be followed.

Gene

On 5/3/2022 11:13 PM, Jason Bratcher wrote:
NVDA+Enter is supposed to act on the object at the NVDA's current focus location.
Perhaps a description like "act on the current object in focus."
Jason Bratcher

Jason Bratcher

A slight O.T. on this one:
Windows used to be able to let you choose whether you'd double-click or single-click to activate things
(found formerly in Folder Options, say, WinXP and earlier).
With single-click active, you'd hover/point to select things and single-click to tap on it.
I don't know how well NVDA would handle the Click to Open, Point to select option,
considering NVDA at that time didn't read the pop-up bubble of information that appeared as a tool tip.
NVDA getting newer along with Windows obviously changed things.
And before getting cooked like the egg in the Say No to Drugs ad in 1987,
I've mostly been able to force the mouse to the object navigator
(NVDA?NumPadSlash)
and click a link that way (that becomes the modern mouse over).
As per hovering over it, it's up to the software to decide what happens when a link/other control is pointed at.
Jason Bratcher

Gene

That isn't working with mouse over.  You don't click a link with the mouse.  If you do click the link, you follow the link.  If you can do a mouse over with NVDA, that would be done by moving the mouse over the link and leaving it there.  Then you would move around the screen and see where the new information is, if any.

Gene

On 5/4/2022 12:03 AM, Jason Bratcher wrote:
[...]

harshad solanki

have you tried nvda + numpad devide and nvda + num pad multiply? you
may try document review mode using nvda + num pad 1 and 7, then
navigate with num pad 7 and 9. many times i found new options after
performing these actions and these option can be activated with enter
or nvda + num pad enter key and i am using nvda desktop mode.

On 04/05/2022, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
[...]

NVDA +divide moves the mouse to the current position if NVDA can do so.  That is evidently the same as hovering the mouse.  Imagine however, how inefficient it would be to move a mouse over a link on a web page and then review the entire page, hoping you will recognize where the page changes as a result of hovering the mouse.  You may be able to do so but its so inefficient that it would only make sense to do so if it is necessary to get some information or do something.  I almost never find that mouse over links do anything necessary when you hover the mouse.  Also, it appears they often do something visual which a screen-reader isn't aware of.

My guess is that if mouse over links did anything other than be marginally useful, that is, show necessary information more than very rarely, NVDA would have incorporated a mouse over function.  JAWS has one, Window-eyes didn't.  I think if it were considered at all important, more than just one screen[-reader would have it.

Gene

On 5/8/2022 12:33 AM, harshad solanki wrote:
[...]

I should add that JAWS tells you at what line the page changes when you issue a mouse over command and it has a jump to line function so you can move to that line and see if there is useful information.  It then has a return to previous position command so you can resume where you were before you moved.

Without those features, hovering the mouse and looking through a page, hoping to find new information is so inefficient that it is only worth doing if you find you can't do what you want by the usual means of working with the page.

Gene

On 5/8/2022 1:13 AM, Gene wrote:
[...]

Luke Davis

Gene wrote:

My guess is that if mouse over links did anything other than be marginally useful, that is, show necessary information more than very rarely, NVDA would
have incorporated a mouse over function.  JAWS has one, Window-eyes didn't.  I think if it were considered at all important, more than just one
screen[-reader would have it.
Gene, I must disagree with you.

I have been in several situations where a website's functions were completely unusable without mouseover capability, or some way to simulate it. I present, again, GetResponse as one example.

Now, that bad design is not NVDA's fault, but I think that the real reason here is that it is simply very difficult to do given the way NVDA presents information.

Apparently, in Jaws, it is not unusual to hear that new options have appeared on line such-and-such of the virtual buffer. But users jumping to specific lines, is not an NVDA paradigm.

So the question becomes: if new options do appear, how should NVDA get you to them, or tell you about them?

I suspect if there was a reasonable answer to that, more progress might be made on mouseover support.

Luke

Gene

You only hear the line on which the screen changed when you use a specific JAWS mouse over command.  I'm writing mouse over as two words so screen-readers speak it properly.

I don't know if there is something about JAWS that makes such information easier to get.

I'm not saying a mouse over function shouldn't be available but I have either never or almost never seen a case where a blind person has asked on the lists I'm on about an accessibility problem where the solution has involved mouse over.

Gene

On 5/8/2022 1:27 AM, Luke Davis wrote:
Gene wrote:

[...]

Sarah k Alawami

Yep. That can work as well. http://qrz.com is the best place for that. Click your name then scan down in document review and you see options for editing your profile, bio and picture, which I need to do btw. OH fun.

[...]

Is there a gh ticket for this? I have not looked, I'm just waking up over here, If not, the OP might be able to create one.

[...]

You shouldn't have to use document review in NVDA.  If you hover the mouse, that is move it to the desired location, the page changes.  The mouse doesn't move when you move in browse mode.  While I haven't tried this, you should be able to move in the page as you always do and see what is being displayed.

Gene

On 5/8/2022 9:42 AM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:
[...]

No in this case you cannot.  The text is invisible to nvda’s browse mode unless you are in document review.  Basically a mini menu appears  you cannot see unless you explore in document view. I have had to deal with this particular site for years now and it has not changed.  I mean it has changed but not for the better.

[...]

I also disagree with Jean on this one, Quickbooks makes some use of Mouse Overs, and JAWS works well with it.

All the best

Steve

[...]

I didn't say anything beyond Internet pages.  I amnot saying that hovering the mouse isn't important or useful in any programs.

Gene