Topics

Mouse navigation and Chrome

Tyler Spivey

I'm trying to route the mouse in Chrome and am running into issues.

I'm playing incremental games that need mouse hovers to work reliably. NVDA's mouse navigation doesn't work very well.

As a very basic example which requires not too much setup, I can demonstrate this easily enough on Google.

I should be able to search Google, using mouse navigation to click the button. I'm doing the following:
1. Restart NVDA with add-ons disabled.
2. Start Chrome, navigate to google.com.
3. Type test into the search field.
4. Hit f in browse mode until I find the Google Search button.
5. NVDA+numpad / to route the mouse, and click with numpad /.

When I do this, my page doesn't change. NVDA doesn't seem to be clicking the button.

What can I do to make things work better?

Gene

I am not aware of anything. The mouse, in this instance, is in the right place but for some reason, the left click command isn't clicking the button. You can verify that by using numpad insert numpad enter instead of left click. The button is activated.

I'm trying to route the mouse in Chrome and am running into issues.

I'm playing incremental games that need mouse hovers to work reliably.
NVDA's mouse navigation doesn't work very well.

As a very basic example which requires not too much setup, I can
demonstrate this easily enough on Google.

I should be able to search Google, using mouse navigation to click the
button. I'm doing the following:
1. Restart NVDA with add-ons disabled.
2. Start Chrome, navigate to google.com.
3. Type test into the search field.
4. Hit f in browse mode until I find the Google Search button.
5. NVDA+numpad / to route the mouse, and click with numpad /.

When I do this, my page doesn't change. NVDA doesn't seem to be clicking
the button.

What can I do to make things work better?

Tyler Spivey

NVDA numpad enter will activate the button because the navigator is on it. That has nothing to do with the mouse.

-----Original Message----- From: Tyler Spivey
Sent: Tuesday, November 17, 2020 10:32 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
I'm trying to route the mouse in Chrome and am running into issues.
I'm playing incremental games that need mouse hovers to work reliably.
NVDA's mouse navigation doesn't work very well.
As a very basic example which requires not too much setup, I can
demonstrate this easily enough on Google.
I should be able to search Google, using mouse navigation to click the
button. I'm doing the following:
1. Restart NVDA with add-ons disabled.
2. Start Chrome, navigate to google.com.
3. Type test into the search field.
4. Hit f in browse mode until I find the Google Search button.
5. NVDA+numpad / to route the mouse, and click with numpad /.
When I do this, my page doesn't change. NVDA doesn't seem to be clicking
the button.
What can I do to make things work better?

Gene

It is likely the case that the mouse isn't in the right place. That hasn't been verified, however.

Sent: Tuesday, November 17, 2020 10:32 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

I'm trying to route the mouse in Chrome and am running into issues.

I'm playing incremental games that need mouse hovers to work reliably.
NVDA's mouse navigation doesn't work very well.

As a very basic example which requires not too much setup, I can
demonstrate this easily enough on Google.

I should be able to search Google, using mouse navigation to click the
button. I'm doing the following:
1. Restart NVDA with add-ons disabled.
2. Start Chrome, navigate to google.com.
3. Type test into the search field.
4. Hit f in browse mode until I find the Google Search button.
5. NVDA+numpad / to route the mouse, and click with numpad /.

When I do this, my page doesn't change. NVDA doesn't seem to be clicking
the button.

What can I do to make things work better?

Gene

I should say I think its very likely the mouse isn't in the right place.

Sent: Tuesday, November 17, 2020 10:32 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

I'm trying to route the mouse in Chrome and am running into issues.

I'm playing incremental games that need mouse hovers to work reliably.
NVDA's mouse navigation doesn't work very well.

As a very basic example which requires not too much setup, I can
demonstrate this easily enough on Google.

I should be able to search Google, using mouse navigation to click the
button. I'm doing the following:
1. Restart NVDA with add-ons disabled.
2. Start Chrome, navigate to google.com.
3. Type test into the search field.
4. Hit f in browse mode until I find the Google Search button.
5. NVDA+numpad / to route the mouse, and click with numpad /.

When I do this, my page doesn't change. NVDA doesn't seem to be clicking
the button.

What can I do to make things work better?

Gene

On playing with the page further, I'll add that it may well be that the mouse is not in the right place but that needs to be verified. Some other things around that button can be activated and sme can't. OIs that because the mouse doesn't move to those things or because there is something about those things that they aren't activated?

Sent: Tuesday, November 17, 2020 10:32 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

I'm trying to route the mouse in Chrome and am running into issues.

I'm playing incremental games that need mouse hovers to work reliably.
NVDA's mouse navigation doesn't work very well.

As a very basic example which requires not too much setup, I can
demonstrate this easily enough on Google.

I should be able to search Google, using mouse navigation to click the
button. I'm doing the following:
1. Restart NVDA with add-ons disabled.
2. Start Chrome, navigate to google.com.
3. Type test into the search field.
4. Hit f in browse mode until I find the Google Search button.
5. NVDA+numpad / to route the mouse, and click with numpad /.

When I do this, my page doesn't change. NVDA doesn't seem to be clicking
the button.

What can I do to make things work better?

Gene

I said that this needs to be verified. I'm not sure if it does. Your procedure works in Firefox so what is occurring in Chrome? I suspect the mouse is moving to the right place, but the left click command doesn't activate the control, for some reason.

Sent: Tuesday, November 17, 2020 10:32 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

I'm trying to route the mouse in Chrome and am running into issues.

I'm playing incremental games that need mouse hovers to work reliably.
NVDA's mouse navigation doesn't work very well.

As a very basic example which requires not too much setup, I can
demonstrate this easily enough on Google.

I should be able to search Google, using mouse navigation to click the
button. I'm doing the following:
1. Restart NVDA with add-ons disabled.
2. Start Chrome, navigate to google.com.
3. Type test into the search field.
4. Hit f in browse mode until I find the Google Search button.
5. NVDA+numpad / to route the mouse, and click with numpad /.

When I do this, my page doesn't change. NVDA doesn't seem to be clicking
the button.

What can I do to make things work better?

Ralf Kefferpuetz

I can confirm this behavior in Chrome and Firefox. From a visual standpoint the mouse is routed to the top left corner of the search button, but it seems it is about 1mm to far left of the button. The mouse pointer doesn't change to a hand with its pointing finger. Moving the mouse a tick to the right gives me the pointing finger hand and numpad-slash works.

I'm trying to route the mouse in Chrome and am running into issues.

I'm playing incremental games that need mouse hovers to work reliably.
NVDA's mouse navigation doesn't work very well.

As a very basic example which requires not too much setup, I can demonstrate this easily enough on Google.

I should be able to search Google, using mouse navigation to click the button. I'm doing the following:
1. Restart NVDA with add-ons disabled.
2. Start Chrome, navigate to google.com.
3. Type test into the search field.
4. Hit f in browse mode until I find the Google Search button.
5. NVDA+numpad / to route the mouse, and click with numpad /.

When I do this, my page doesn't change. NVDA doesn't seem to be clicking the button.

What can I do to make things work better?

Gene

It will be interesting to see if this problem is investigated and what is concluded.  I suspect that this isn't an NVDA problem but one that results from some sort of Chromium programming.  It may be of some importance.  There may be sites where controls can't be activated from the keyboard and require a mouse, only to have the mouse not move to them.

Gene

On 11/18/2020 1:44 AM, Ralf Kefferpuetz wrote:
[...]

Rowen Cary

Please press Win + I to open the settings, and open the first item "System" and then find "Display", adjust the zoom to 100%

Tyler Spivey

It's already there.