Ms Russian Voices and NVDA


Mary Otten
 

This might be on the border of inappropriate, but here goes:


I have a Russian voice that I purchased some time ago from a 3rd party vendor, and it works with NVDA. However, there is one really serious problem with it. If you are on a page with mixed English and Cyrillic, the Russian voice really falls apart. Rather than just reading the English in a Russian accent, which is what happens on an iPhone, for instance, my speech synthesizer from the Ivona company pronounces the English in some way that is really quite impossible to understand. So I'm wondering if there is anybody on here who speaks Russian and has had occasion to download and use either of the MS voices for Windows 10. If these voices act like the one I already have, then there is no point in going there. But if they don't mangle the English because they use pronunciation rules, perhaps because the synth is from Poland, where they use the Latin alphabet and have their own phonetic rules, then I'm going to go through the process of installing the voices and hope for decent results.


Mary


 

Ivona voices are not sold anymore to indeviduals which is a pitty same with acapella unless you buy the nvda versions.

However if your russion voice is really shitting itself that bad then maybe it needs updating or you should use a more updated one.

Its dictionaries may be incomplete or bugged.

So code factory voices have russian as a language.

But have you tried to install the onecore voices which will have slavic and russion languages of different types?

You can add more voices from the accessibility in settings in narator and add more voices.

On 18/01/2022 1:43 pm, Mary Otten wrote:
This might be on the border of inappropriate, but here goes:


I have a Russian voice that I purchased some time ago from a 3rd party vendor, and it works with NVDA. However, there is one really serious problem with it. If you are on a page with mixed English and Cyrillic, the Russian voice really falls apart. Rather than just reading the English in a Russian accent, which is what happens on an iPhone, for instance, my speech synthesizer from the Ivona company pronounces the English in some way that is really quite impossible to understand. So I'm wondering if there is anybody on here who speaks Russian and has had occasion to download and use either of the MS voices for Windows 10. If these voices act like the one I already have, then there is no point in going there. But if they don't mangle the English because they use pronunciation rules, perhaps because the synth is from Poland, where they use the Latin alphabet and have their own phonetic rules, then I'm going to go through the process of installing the voices and hope for decent results.


Mary






Mary Otten
 

I was going to try the one core voices, but not if somebody else has already tried and found them wanting when it comes to not badly mangling text in the Latin alphabet. Ivona voices are not updatable, so far as I am aware. I was just asking if anybody had actual experience before going through the process of finding out how to d/l etc and then doing it and possibly having to uninstall if they bomb out. I was not therilled with code factory English, and am not aware of what they have in Russian and don't want to pay for it unless I can try it first to see how it goes.

On 1/17/2022 5:32 PM, Shaun Everiss wrote:
Ivona voices are not sold anymore to indeviduals which is a pitty same with acapella unless you buy the nvda versions.

However if your russion voice is really shitting itself that bad then maybe it needs updating or you should use a more updated one.

Its dictionaries may be incomplete or bugged.

So code factory voices have russian as a language.

But have you tried to install the onecore voices which will have slavic and russion languages of different types?

You can add more voices from the accessibility in settings in narator and add more voices.



On 18/01/2022 1:43 pm, Mary Otten wrote:
This might be on the border of inappropriate, but here goes:


I have a Russian voice that I purchased some time ago from a 3rd party vendor, and it works with NVDA. However, there is one really serious problem with it. If you are on a page with mixed English and Cyrillic, the Russian voice really falls apart. Rather than just reading the English in a Russian accent, which is what happens on an iPhone, for instance, my speech synthesizer from the Ivona company pronounces the English in some way that is really quite impossible to understand. So I'm wondering if there is anybody on here who speaks Russian and has had occasion to download and use either of the MS voices for Windows 10. If these voices act like the one I already have, then there is no point in going there. But if they don't mangle the English because they use pronunciation rules, perhaps because the synth is from Poland, where they use the Latin alphabet and have their own phonetic rules, then I'm going to go through the process of installing the voices and hope for decent results.


Mary









darkmad88@...
 

Russian MS voices are very similar to Ivona voices where handling a latin text. You can use DualVoice addon for automatic language switching, but the best choice, IMHO, will be using Vocalizer Expressive addon from Tiflotecnia. You can try it for free and check how this addon suit your needs.


 

Well I wander how the code factory voices stack.

Sadly this is the only voice pack in sapi which is well rellitively priced instead of indeviduals.

Now I know maxiaids is previding the original neospeech voices before they became readspeaker but who knows if I will get those later on.

The sereproc stuff looked nice but its still a lot for those.

One thing with russian voices, would nuphon or rh voice handle that.

What is standard espeak ng like in this instance.



On 19/01/2022 8:21 am, darkmad88@... wrote:
Russian MS voices are very similar to Ivona voices where handling a latin text. You can use DualVoice addon for automatic language switching, but the best choice, IMHO, will be using Vocalizer Expressive addon from Tiflotecnia. You can try it for free and check how this addon suit your needs.


Mary Otten
 

In my view, keeping in mind that I truly loathe e-speak in English, I did listen to it a long time ago in Russian and concluded that it was truly awful. The expressive vocalizer voice should do the job, as it is the same one that is on the iPhone, where it does not render English unintelligible, if you're willing to live with Russian accented English. I'm now trying to figure out if the sapi5 offers the same as the nvda add on. This is probably getting off topic and maybe needs to go to chat.


Mary


On 1/18/2022 12:24 PM, Shaun Everiss wrote:

Well I wander how the code factory voices stack.

Sadly this is the only voice pack in sapi which is well rellitively priced instead of indeviduals.

Now I know maxiaids is previding the original neospeech voices before they became readspeaker but who knows if I will get those later on.

The sereproc stuff looked nice but its still a lot for those.

One thing with russian voices, would nuphon or rh voice handle that.

What is standard espeak ng like in this instance.



On 19/01/2022 8:21 am, darkmad88@... wrote:
Russian MS voices are very similar to Ivona voices where handling a latin text. You can use DualVoice addon for automatic language switching, but the best choice, IMHO, will be using Vocalizer Expressive addon from Tiflotecnia. You can try it for free and check how this addon suit your needs.


Tony Malykh
 

I wrote an add-on exactly for this case:

https://github.com/mltony/nvda-tonys-enhancements

One of its functions is language map, which by default includes English and Russian IIRC. So it will force your synthesizer to switch languages whenever it sees text writte in Latin/Cyrillic. In theory it should work with any synth, but some synthesizers, or rather their NVDA drivers don't support some functionality.

I can confirm that it works well in Microsoft Speech API, Windows OneCore Voices and espeak. Used to work with RHVoice a couple of years ago but I haven't tested since then. And yeah, I tested specifically on Russian/English pair.

HTH

--Tony

On 1/17/2022 4:43 PM, Mary Otten wrote:
This might be on the border of inappropriate, but here goes:


I have a Russian voice that I purchased some time ago from a 3rd party vendor, and it works with NVDA. However, there is one really serious problem with it. If you are on a page with mixed English and Cyrillic, the Russian voice really falls apart. Rather than just reading the English in a Russian accent, which is what happens on an iPhone, for instance, my speech synthesizer from the Ivona company pronounces the English in some way that is really quite impossible to understand. So I'm wondering if there is anybody on here who speaks Russian and has had occasion to download and use either of the MS voices for Windows 10. If these voices act like the one I already have, then there is no point in going there. But if they don't mangle the English because they use pronunciation rules, perhaps because the synth is from Poland, where they use the Latin alphabet and have their own phonetic rules, then I'm going to go through the process of installing the voices and hope for decent results.


Mary