From: Don H
Sent: Thursday, August 20, 2020 4:21 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] multiple instances of NVDA

It seems that if you close NVDA or restart it you will get multiple
instances of NVDA in the system tray. Right now I have four NVDA
listings in my system tray.

Sarah k Alawami

I've ben able to reproduce this off and on, more off than on on both my base pc running windows 2004 and my shadow running 1909. They do clear themselves up sometimes though.

On 20 Aug 2020, at 14:21, Don H wrote:

It seems that if you close NVDA or restart it you will get multiple instances of NVDA in the system tray.  Right now I have four NVDA listings in my system tray.

These will happen on nvda exit and restart.

on nvda crash.

on nvda addon update.

These are not a general issue usually unless you need to heavily rely on the tray.

I don't usually need the tray or the shell or anything for normal computer tasks in fact for where I need I have found ways around various system issues I have had.

On 21/08/2020 10:08 am, Sarah k Alawami wrote:

I've ben able to reproduce this off and on, more off than on on both my base pc running windows 2004 and my shadow running 1909. They do clear themselves up sometimes though.

On 20 Aug 2020, at 14:21, Don H wrote:

It seems that if you close NVDA or restart it you will get multiple instances of NVDA in the system tray.  Right now I have four NVDA listings in my system tray.

I get this behavior not infrequently.  They usually clean themselves up over time, but if you try to activate any of the ones that are "ghost icons" they disappear and do nothing.  There's only ever been one actual running instance of NVDA.

          ~ Oscar Wilde

Jim Pipczak

Hi,

Try using tskill to remove NVDA out of memory to see if it works.

Press Windows r to get the run dialogue box and then type, tskill NVDA and press the enter key.

Thanks,
Jim