Topics

multiple instances of NVDA

Don H

It seems that if you close NVDA or restart it you will get multiple instances of NVDA in the system tray.  Right now I have four NVDA listings in my system tray.

Gene

That happens if it crashes and if other programs crash, my guess is that the same thing will happen. It doesn't matter, but if you want to get rid of the fantom instances, just perform an action on one of the fantoms, such as double click it in the system tray. It will disappear and I think all the other fantoms will as well. Of dcourse, clicking on the real instance will do whatever it is supposed to do. But since they do no harm, I don't worry about them and they just sit there.

If you close the program, run it again, and see a fantom, that suggests to me that the program isn't closing properly, that its crashing instead of closing, or that part of it is. This doesn't matter. its when you are working with a program or it is doing something that a crash matters. It doesn't matter if it is closing.

Gene

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, August 20, 2020 4:21 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] multiple instances of NVDA

It seems that if you close NVDA or restart it you will get multiple
instances of NVDA in the system tray. Right now I have four NVDA
listings in my system tray.

Sarah k Alawami

I've ben able to reproduce this off and on, more off than on on both my base pc running windows 2004 and my shadow running 1909. They do clear themselves up sometimes though.

--

Sarah Alawami, owner of TFFP. . For more info go to our website.

Check out my adventures with a shadow machine.

to subscribe to the feed click here and you can also follow us on twitter

Our discord is where you will know when we go live on twitch. Feel free to give the channel a follow and see what is up there.

For stream archives, products you can buy and more visit my main lbry page and my tffp lbry page You will also be able to buy some of my products and eBooks there.

Finally, to become a patron and help support the podcast go here

On 20 Aug 2020, at 14:21, Don H wrote:

It seems that if you close NVDA or restart it you will get multiple instances of NVDA in the system tray.  Right now I have four NVDA listings in my system tray.

These will happen on nvda exit and restart.

on nvda crash.

on nvda addon update.

These are not a general issue usually unless you need to heavily rely on the tray.

I don't usually need the tray or the shell or anything for normal computer tasks in fact for where I need I have found ways around various system issues I have had.

On 21/08/2020 10:08 am, Sarah k Alawami wrote:

I've ben able to reproduce this off and on, more off than on on both my base pc running windows 2004 and my shadow running 1909. They do clear themselves up sometimes though.

--

Sarah Alawami, owner of TFFP. . For more info go to our website.

Check out my adventures with a shadow machine.

to subscribe to the feed click here and you can also follow us on twitter

Our discord is where you will know when we go live on twitch. Feel free to give the channel a follow and see what is up there.

For stream archives, products you can buy and more visit my main lbry page and my tffp lbry page You will also be able to buy some of my products and eBooks there.

Finally, to become a patron and help support the podcast go here

On 20 Aug 2020, at 14:21, Don H wrote:

I get this behavior not infrequently.  They usually clean themselves up over time, but if you try to activate any of the ones that are "ghost icons" they disappear and do nothing.  There's only ever been one actual running instance of NVDA.
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 2004, Build 19041  

A gentleman is one who never hurts anyone's feelings unintentionally.

~ Oscar Wilde

Jim Pipczak

Hi,

Try using tskill to remove NVDA out of memory to see if it works.

Press Windows r to get the run dialogue box and then type, tskill NVDA and press the enter key.

Thanks,
Jim

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Don H
Sent: Friday, 21 August 2020 7:22 AM

It seems that if you close NVDA or restart it you will get multiple instances of NVDA in the system tray. Right now I have four NVDA listings in my system tray.

Jim Pipczak
Access Technology Service Development Lead
Client Services
Vision Australia
14 & 17 Barrett Street Kensington VIC 3031

M: +614 3375 7598 T: +613 8378 1243 (I: 344243)
E: Jim.Pipczak@...
www.visionaustralia.org

Vision Australia is committed to supporting the blind and low vision community through COVID-19. Find out about our response and free support resources online at www.visionaustralia.org/COVID19.

[Vision Australia. Blindness. Low Vision. Opportunity. - logo]

[Vision Australia. Winner of the Australian HR Award for Best Workplace Diversity and Inclusion Program. - logo]

Vision Australia acknowledges Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people as the traditional custodians of the land on which we operate. We have an inclusive culture and value diversity and all abilities.

Quentin Christensen

This is generally caused by something closing NVDA unexpectedly, such as it crashing, or if you go to task manager and "End task" it.  I haven't seen it when restarting or updating add-ons.  I wonder if it is a particular add-on which is not letting NVDA shut down cleanly?

If anyone replicates this, ideally with the log set to debug level, I'd be interested in your nvda-old.log file (the one from when NVDA didn't shut down properly).

If it's something in NVDA itself, then we definitely want to address it.  If it's something in an add-on then we can let the author know as well.

Quentin.

On Fri, Aug 21, 2020 at 8:47 AM Jim Pipczak <jim.pipczak@...> wrote:
Hi,

Try using tskill to remove NVDA out of memory to see if it works.

Press Windows r to get the run dialogue box and then type, tskill NVDA and press the enter key.

Thanks,
Jim

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Don H
Sent: Friday, 21 August 2020 7:22 AM

Jim Pipczak
Access Technology Service Development Lead
Client Services
Vision Australia
14 & 17 Barrett Street Kensington VIC 3031

M: +614 3375 7598 T: +613 8378 1243 (I: 344243)
E: Jim.Pipczak@...
www.visionaustralia.org

Vision Australia is committed to supporting the blind and low vision community through COVID-19. Find out about our response and free support resources online at www.visionaustralia.org/COVID19.

[Vision Australia. Blindness. Low Vision.  Opportunity. - logo]

[Vision Australia. Winner of the Australian HR Award for Best Workplace Diversity and Inclusion Program. - logo]

Vision Australia acknowledges Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people as the traditional custodians of the land on which we operate. We have an inclusive culture and value diversity and all abilities.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Luke Davis

On Fri, 21 Aug 2020, Quentin Christensen wrote:

This is generally caused by something closing NVDA unexpectedly, such as it crashing, or if you go to task manager and "End task" it.  I haven't seen it
when restarting or updating add-ons.  I wonder if it is a particular add-on which is not letting NVDA shut down cleanly?
If anyone replicates this, ideally with the log set to debug level, I'd be interested in your nvda-old.log file (the one from when NVDA didn't shut down
properly).
I'll get you one, but I must say that I have rarely NOT had this happen when doing an NVDA restart.
It is just the way of things.
Since it happens on all of my systems, I assumed it was an error with slave or helper, and couldn't be avoided.

Luke

Quentin Christensen

Interesting, I regularly restart NVDA and I don't recall ever seeing it from that.  Do you have any add-ons?

On Fri, Aug 21, 2020 at 4:35 PM Luke Davis <luke@...> wrote:

> This is generally caused by something closing NVDA unexpectedly, such as it crashing, or if you go to task manager and "End task" it.  I haven't seen it
> when restarting or updating add-ons.  I wonder if it is a particular add-on which is not letting NVDA shut down cleanly?
> If anyone replicates this, ideally with the log set to debug level, I'd be interested in your nvda-old.log file (the one from when NVDA didn't shut down
> properly).

I'll get you one, but I must say that I have rarely NOT had this happen when
doing an NVDA restart.
Since it happens on all of my systems, I assumed it was an error with slave or
helper, and couldn't be avoided.

Luke

--
Quentin Christensen

Luke Davis

Interesting, I regularly restart NVDA and I don't recall ever seeing it from that.  Do you have any add-ons?
Several. Nothing particularly unusual though.
W10 App Essentials, Add-on Updater, Speech History, Bluetooth Audio, Add-on Documentation, Remote, Classic Selection, debugHelper, Dropbox, Easy Table Nav, Mozilla Apps Enhancements, Notepad++, Outlook Extended, Object Detection, Synth Ring Settings Selector, Virtual Review.

Also, while I run into this literally a few times per week, I have been unable to repro it on latest alpha yet. Of course, now that I said it happens all the time, it isn't happening today.

Hopefully someone else will come up with a log.

Luke

Quentin Christensen

Haha, that's always the way :)

I was going to say, if you had a way of reliably reproducing it, you could try disabling add-ons, then do that and see if it happens again - but if it doesn't happen all the time that makes it harder to track down.

On Fri, Aug 21, 2020 at 6:32 PM Luke Davis <luke@...> wrote:

> Interesting, I regularly restart NVDA and I don't recall ever seeing it from that.  Do you have any add-ons?

Several.  Nothing particularly unusual though.
W10 App Essentials, Add-on Updater, Speech History, Bluetooth Audio, Add-on
Documentation, Remote, Classic Selection, debugHelper, Dropbox, Easy Table Nav,
Mozilla Apps Enhancements, Notepad++, Outlook Extended, Object Detection, Synth
Ring Settings Selector, Virtual Review.

Also, while I run into this literally a few times per week, I have been unable
to repro it on latest alpha yet.  Of course, now that I said it happens all the
time, it isn't happening today.

Luke

--
Quentin Christensen

Ralf Kefferpuetz

I’m experiencing the same since ages and since I can reproduce it I did following test scenario today.

These are the facts I discover all the time:

1. After rebooting the PC, NVDA 2020.2 (and all earlier versions), starts up automatically, I have 1 NVDA icon in the systray
  2. Restarting NVDA, either by NVDA-Q – restart or by control-alt-N restarts NVDA
  3. Now I have 2 NVDA icons in the systray (always)
  4. Repeating step 2) doesn’t brin me more NVDA icons into the systray, it will stay with 2 NVDA icons
  5. Removing the shadow NVDA icon by pressing Windows-B, then hitting N until I come to the first NVDA icon, hitting enter on it, leaves me with just 1 NVDA icon in the systray
  6. Repeating step 2) doesn’t bring a second NVDA icon anymore, either with or without addons enabled
  7. Rebooting the PC brings me to the beginning where I can get a second NVDA icon in the systray by performing step 2)

Again, it is always the same, with or without addons enabled.

Regards,

Ralf

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Quentin Christensen
Sent: Freitag, 21. August 2020 10:40
Subject: Re: [nvda] multiple instances of NVDA

Haha, that's always the way :)

I was going to say, if you had a way of reliably reproducing it, you could try disabling add-ons, then do that and see if it happens again - but if it doesn't happen all the time that makes it harder to track down.

On Fri, Aug 21, 2020 at 6:32 PM Luke Davis <luke@...> wrote:

> Interesting, I regularly restart NVDA and I don't recall ever seeing it from that.  Do you have any add-ons?

Several.  Nothing particularly unusual though.
W10 App Essentials, Add-on Updater, Speech History, Bluetooth Audio, Add-on
Documentation, Remote, Classic Selection, debugHelper, Dropbox, Easy Table Nav,
Mozilla Apps Enhancements, Notepad++, Outlook Extended, Object Detection, Synth
Ring Settings Selector, Virtual Review.

Also, while I run into this literally a few times per week, I have been unable
to repro it on latest alpha yet.  Of course, now that I said it happens all the
time, it isn't happening today.

Luke

--

Quentin Christensen

Gene

I've never had it happen when I unload NVDA, then restart it. I'm not talking about using the control alt n command when NVDA hangs or crashes. I'm talking about using NVDA key q, then restarting.

KI've only seen this happen when NV
DA crashes and I restart it.

Gene

Sent: Friday, August 21, 2020 3:11 AM

Interesting, I regularly restart NVDA and I don't recall ever seeing it from that. Do you have any add-ons?

This is generally caused by something closing NVDA unexpectedly, such as it crashing, or if you go to task manager and "End task" it. I haven't seen it
when restarting or updating add-ons. I wonder if it is a particular add-on which is not letting NVDA shut down cleanly?
If anyone replicates this, ideally with the log set to debug level, I'd be interested in your nvda-old.log file (the one from when NVDA didn't shut down
properly).
doing an NVDA restart.
Since it happens on all of my systems, I assumed it was an error with slave or

Luke

--

Quentin Christensen

Web: www.nvaccess.org
Training: https://www.nvaccess.org/shop/
Certification: https://certification.nvaccess.org/
User group: https://nvda.groups.io/g/nvda
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess
Twitter: @NVAccess

Gene

I should have added that I am using Windows 7 and using NVDA as a portable program, and that may or may not make a difference.

Gene

Sent: Friday, August 21, 2020 5:56 AM

I've never had it happen when I unload NVDA, then restart it. I'm not
talking about using the control alt n command when NVDA hangs or crashes.
I'm talking about using NVDA key q, then restarting.

Gene

Interesting, I regularly restart NVDA and I don't recall ever seeing it from
that. Do you have any add-ons?

This is generally caused by something closing NVDA unexpectedly, such as it crashing, or if you go to task manager and "End task" it. I haven't seen it
when restarting or updating add-ons. I wonder if it is a particular add-on which is not letting NVDA shut down cleanly?
properly).
doing an NVDA restart.
Since it happens on all of my systems, I assumed it was an error with slave
or

Luke

--

Quentin Christensen

Quentin Christensen

Ralf,

I just tried and when I press CONTROL+ALT+N, the copy of NVDA which started automatically on login exits cleanly and the new copy starts.  What version of NVDA and Windows are you using though?

I am using Windows 10 (64-bit) Version: 1903 Build 18362 
Running NVDA version: alpha-20763,1ef4dfb0 

That's probably not the most usual combination though (My Windows 10 keeps hitting an error updating and I haven't taken the time to reformat it).  So if you're using a different version of Windows and / or NVDA your mileage might vary.  If anyone else tries this, please do share your version of Windows and NVDA and whether NVDA restarts cleanly or leaves an icon in the notification area.

Quentin.

On Fri, Aug 21, 2020 at 9:09 PM Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
I should have added that I am using Windows 7 and using NVDA as a portable
program, and that may or may not make a difference.

Gene

I've never had it happen when I unload NVDA, then restart it.  I'm not

Gene

that.  Do you have any add-ons?

> This is generally caused by something closing NVDA unexpectedly, such as
> it crashing, or if you go to task manager and "End task" it.  I haven't
> seen it
> when restarting or updating add-ons.  I wonder if it is a particular
> add-on which is not letting NVDA shut down cleanly?
> If anyone replicates this, ideally with the log set to debug level, I'd be
> interested in your nvda-old.log file (the one from when NVDA didn't shut
> down
> properly).

doing an NVDA restart.
or

Luke

--

Quentin Christensen

--
Quentin Christensen

Ralf Kefferpuetz

Quentin,

I currently use latest Win10, Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.450) together with NVDA 2020.2. But again, I have that kind of behavior since years independently of the version of Win10 or NVDA.

I can’t reproduce it on my virtual machines running Win10. Until last week I had the same issue on my Dell company laptop but since last week our corporate IT policy updated our OS from 1803 to 1809 I can’t reproduce it anymore.

It doesn’t bother me at all, I just brought it up since another user of NVDA mentioned the same behaviour. It must be something special on my PC. I will create  / test a new user to see if it is something with my profile….

Regards,

Ralf

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Quentin Christensen
Sent: Montag, 24. August 2020 07:04

Ralf,

I just tried and when I press CONTROL+ALT+N, the copy of NVDA which started automatically on login exits cleanly and the new copy starts.  What version of NVDA and Windows are you using though?

I am using Windows 10 (64-bit) Version: 1903 Build 18362 

Running NVDA version: alpha-20763,1ef4dfb0 

That's probably not the most usual combination though (My Windows 10 keeps hitting an error updating and I haven't taken the time to reformat it).  So if you're using a different version of Windows and / or NVDA your mileage might vary.  If anyone else tries this, please do share your version of Windows and NVDA and whether NVDA restarts cleanly or leaves an icon in the notification area.

Quentin.

On Fri, Aug 21, 2020 at 9:09 PM Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:

I should have added that I am using Windows 7 and using NVDA as a portable
program, and that may or may not make a difference.

Gene

I've never had it happen when I unload NVDA, then restart it.  I'm not

Gene

that.  Do you have any add-ons?

> This is generally caused by something closing NVDA unexpectedly, such as
> it crashing, or if you go to task manager and "End task" it.  I haven't
> seen it
> when restarting or updating add-ons.  I wonder if it is a particular
> add-on which is not letting NVDA shut down cleanly?
> If anyone replicates this, ideally with the log set to debug level, I'd be
> interested in your nvda-old.log file (the one from when NVDA didn't shut
> down
> properly).

doing an NVDA restart.
or

Luke

--

Quentin Christensen

--

Quentin Christensen

Luke Davis

As a followup for the archive: I have created an issue for this, with attached logs as Quentin requested.

https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues/11553

Luke

On Fri, 21 Aug 2020, Luke Davis wrote:

Several. Nothing particularly unusual though.
W10 App Essentials, Add-on Updater, Speech History, Bluetooth Audio, Add-on Documentation, Remote, Classic Selection, debugHelper, Dropbox, Easy Table Nav, Mozilla Apps Enhancements, Notepad++, Outlook Extended, Object Detection, Synth Ring Settings Selector, Virtual Review.

Also, while I run into this literally a few times per week, I have been unable to repro it on latest alpha yet. Of course, now that I said it happens all the time, it isn't happening today.