From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Shaun Everiss
Sent: Sunday, February 16, 2020 4:34 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] my configuration is almost complete with 2019.3

Hi all.

Well except for the interactive fiction interpreters addon from n stockton which I have given up on ever getting updated, nvda is in of itself working.

I have made a portable version of nvda 2019.2.1 which has, just the addons I need, no win10 apps, no extras just the configurations I want and such.

I suggest for those that need older addons they just use nvda with the addons that don't update or are not updated or will never update from now on.

All I will use this version for is to play text games, its not ever going to update itself at all.

Rui Fontes

Yes, of course...

If you have an installed version of NVDA, even running a portable version of NVDA, pressing enter in a *.nvda-addon file, the add-on will be installed in the portable version.

If you do not have any NVDA version installed, to install a add-on, go to add-on manager, go to install button and choose the add-on you want to install...

Rui Fontes

Às 18:26 de 16/02/2020, molly the blind tech lover escreveu:

Hi.
I made two portable versions of NVDA . . . Is there a way to install some of my add-ons on to the portable versions?

Well except for the interactive fiction interpreters addon from n stockton which I have given up on ever getting updated, nvda is in of itself working.

I have made a portable version of nvda 2019.2.1 which has, just the addons I need, no win10 apps, no extras just the configurations I want and such.

I suggest for those that need older addons they just use nvda with the addons that don't update or are not updated or will never update from now on.

All I will use this version for is to play text games, its not ever going to update itself at all.

Yes, run one of the versions, install the addons, then do whatever.

I have done this with my interactive fiction interpreters and it works as expected.

I think till things become accessible we will have to jump back and forth between 2019.2 and the latest nvda version.

On 17/02/2020 7:26 am, molly the blind tech lover wrote:
Hi.
I made two portable versions of NVDA . . . Is there a way to install some of my add-ons on to the portable versions?

Well except for the interactive fiction interpreters addon from n stockton which I have given up on ever getting updated, nvda is in of itself working.

I have made a portable version of nvda 2019.2.1 which has, just the addons I need, no win10 apps, no extras just the configurations I want and such.

I suggest for those that need older addons they just use nvda with the addons that don't update or are not updated or will never update from now on.

All I will use this version for is to play text games, its not ever going to update itself at all.

.

Cordelia Scharpf

Prdon me, I am a new user here. "Do whatever" sounds a bit too brief a tip in response to the query how to ensure that the add-ons in questions get saved with the portable version. I am looking for an option within the menu for the portable NVDA that lets me select individual add-ons, not just the whole package of add-ons. Is there such an option?

Well except for the interactive fiction interpreters addon from n stockton which I have given up on ever getting updated, nvda is in of itself working.

I have made a portable version of nvda 2019.2.1 which has, just the addons I need, no win10 apps, no extras just the configurations I want and such.

I suggest for those that need older addons they just use nvda with the addons that don't update or are not updated or will never update from now on.

All I will use this version for is to play text games, its not ever going to update itself at all.

.

Hi,
Not yet, although at least two code contributors are thinking about adding this option and friends in the future.
Cheers,
Joseph

[...]

hurrikennyandopo ...

Hi

if you are a new user and unaware of how to get into the menus it is the nvda key + N then arrow down to tools then there will be a submenu so when you hear it you might have to right arrow then down to arrow to manage add ons menu then press the enter key. When the next screen comes up tab a few times until you hear you hear get add ons then press the enter key. Now it will launch your browser and on that page will give you a list of add ons you can use. You can jump down by the letter H to see which ones might suit your needs. Then there will be a link off that page to another where you can down load that add on from.

 When it has been down loaded it will usually go to a downloads folder on your pc locate it then the add on and press the enter key on it just say yes to it a couple of times then it will be installed.

documentation can be found under the add on manager locate the add on by arrow down to it then tab once or twice to hear the keys etc that you use with it.

By the way if you are interested and a new user to nvda I have put together a website called http://www.accessibilitycentral.net where you can find written and audio tutorials on how to use nvda. They are for a desk top user and cover a wide variety of tutorials on using nvda Plus there are other pages to do with blindness for people who are new to be visually impaired or blind and getting used to it if you get what I mean.

If you chose one of the nvda pages it will link to the nvda website inside of this one and there is a table on each page to other nvda tutorials.

hope it helps.

Gene nz

On 17/02/2020 8:47 am, Cordelia Scharpf wrote:
[...]

Hi, Gene:

Thanks fort he info and the link to your web site. I actually know how to locate and install add-ons. Joseph, however, has answered my query, and I hope that this option--if or when it gets implemented one day--will let us select the add-on(s) to be included in whatever portable version of NVDA we generate.

Once again, many thanks for your helpful note.

Cordelia

Well except for the interactive fiction interpreters addon from n stockton which I have given up on ever getting updated, nvda is in of itself working.

I have made a portable version of nvda 2019.2.1 which has, just the addons I need, no win10 apps, no extras just the configurations I want and such.

I suggest for those that need older addons they just use nvda with the addons that don't update or are not updated or will never update from now on.

All I will use this version for is to play text games, its not ever going to update itself at all.

molly the blind tech lover

Thanks . . . But I think one of my portable versions is broken. I tried to load it and I got an error message saying the specified module could not be found . . . I updated the copy from 2019.2.1 to 2019.3 a few days ago, and it worked. I honestly don't know what happened to suddenly cause that error message. Good thing I made two copies.

Well except for the interactive fiction interpreters addon from n stockton which I have given up on ever getting updated, nvda is in of itself working.

I have made a portable version of nvda 2019.2.1 which has, just the addons I need, no win10 apps, no extras just the configurations I want and such.

I suggest for those that need older addons they just use nvda with the addons that don't update or are not updated or will never update from now on.

All I will use this version for is to play text games, its not ever going to update itself at all.

.

Gene

This message is a long answer but it may contain information that will be very useful in future, depending on what you do or don't do now.

You can make portable versions using your installed version to do so.  You can have all your settings and add-ons copied to the portable version as it is being created.  Look in the menu under tools and you will see where it can be done.  When people get a program, or at some point, it would be very worthwhile to go through the menus to see what is there.  You may find all sorts of useful things you wouldn't even have known to ask about.  You may or may not know how to use them, but at least you will know about them.

You can install add-ons to the portable versions you have made just as you did with the installed version.  You may have to download them again but if you don't keep a copy of every installer of any program you have installed until you no longer intend to use it ever again, you should. Programs may become corrupted or for some other reason, you may have to install them again.  And the installers should be backed up as anything you don't want to lose should be.

Sent: Sunday, February 16, 2020 12:26 PM

Hi.
I made two portable versions of NVDA . . . Is there a way to install some of my add-ons on to the portable versions?

Well except for the interactive fiction interpreters addon from n stockton which I have given up on ever getting updated, nvda is in of itself working.

I have made a portable version of nvda 2019.2.1 which has, just the addons I need, no win10 apps, no extras just the configurations I want and such.

I suggest for those that need older addons they just use nvda with the addons that don't update or are not updated or will never update from now on.

All I will use this version for is to play text games, its not ever going to update itself at all.

Gene

As far as I know, to install an add-on in a portable version, you can't just press enter on it.  The whole point of a portable program is to run and not make any changes to the system it is running on.  If it told Windows to install add-ons with the extension used, that would be making a change in the registry.
I'm quite sure that you must use Manage Add-ons in the tools submenu of NVDA when installing to a portable version.

If you have an installed version of NVDA, even running a portable
version of NVDA, pressing enter in a *.nvda-addon file, the add-on will
be installed in the portable version.

If you do not have any NVDA version installed, to install a add-on, go
to add-on manager, go to install button and choose the add-on you want
to install...

Rui Fontes

Às 18:26 de 16/02/2020, molly the blind tech lover escreveu:
> Hi.
> I made two portable versions of NVDA . . . Is there a way to install some of my add-ons on to the portable versions?

Actually, one can install add-ons into portable NVDA version provided that an installed copy already exists.

Cheers,

Joseph

As far as I know, to install an add-on in a portable version, you can't just press enter on it.  The whole point of a portable program is to run and not make any changes to the system it is running on.  If it told Windows to install add-ons with the extension used, that would be making a change in the registry.

I'm quite sure that you must use Manage Add-ons in the tools submenu of NVDA when installing to a portable version.

If you have an installed version of NVDA, even running a portable
version of NVDA, pressing enter in a *.nvda-addon file, the add-on will
be installed in the portable version.

If you do not have any NVDA version installed, to install a add-on, go
to add-on manager, go to install button and choose the add-on you want
to install...

Rui Fontes

Às 18:26 de 16/02/2020, molly the blind tech lover escreveu:
> Hi.
> I made two portable versions of NVDA . . . Is there a way to install some of my add-ons on to the portable versions?

Richard Wells

Well, I guess I didn't know better, but I install add-ons to a portable version in the same way as with an installed version. I just press ENTER on the .nvda-addon and it installs to the running version. Updating add-ons works the same way for me.

On 2/16/2020 8:10 PM, Gene wrote:
As far as I know, to install an add-on in a portable version, you can't just press enter on it.  The whole point of a portable program is to run and not make any changes to the system it is running on.  If it told Windows to install add-ons with the extension used, that would be making a change in the registry.
I'm quite sure that you must use Manage Add-ons in the tools submenu of NVDA when installing to a portable version.

If you have an installed version of NVDA, even running a portable
version of NVDA, pressing enter in a *.nvda-addon file, the add-on will
be installed in the portable version.

If you do not have any NVDA version installed, to install a add-on, go
to add-on manager, go to install button and choose the add-on you want
to install...

Rui Fontes

Às 18:26 de 16/02/2020, molly the blind tech lover escreveu:
> Hi.
> I made two portable versions of NVDA . . . Is there a way to install some of my add-ons on to the portable versions?

But how does Windows know which program to install the add-on in if you press enter on it the portable or installed version?

Actually, one can install add-ons into portable NVDA version provided that an installed copy already exists.

Cheers,

Joseph

As far as I know, to install an add-on in a portable version, you can't just press enter on it.  The whole point of a portable program is to run and not make any changes to the system it is running on.  If it told Windows to install add-ons with the extension used, that would be making a change in the registry.

I'm quite sure that you must use Manage Add-ons in the tools submenu of NVDA when installing to a portable version.

If you have an installed version of NVDA, even running a portable
version of NVDA, pressing enter in a *.nvda-addon file, the add-on will
be installed in the portable version.

If you do not have any NVDA version installed, to install a add-on, go
to add-on manager, go to install button and choose the add-on you want
to install...

Rui Fontes

Às 18:26 de 16/02/2020, molly the blind tech lover escreveu:
> Hi.
> I made two portable versions of NVDA . . . Is there a way to install some of my add-ons on to the portable versions?

I don't have an installed version so I have to use the Manage add-ons option in NVDA.  I'm very curious about what I asked before, how Windows knows what version to install to, the portable or installed version if you press enter.

Sent: Sunday, February 16, 2020 8:55 PM

On 2/16/2020 8:10 PM, Gene wrote:
As far as I know, to install an add-on in a portable version, you can't just press enter on it.  The whole point of a portable program is to run and not make any changes to the system it is running on.  If it told Windows to install add-ons with the extension used, that would be making a change in the registry.
I'm quite sure that you must use Manage Add-ons in the tools submenu of NVDA when installing to a portable version.

If you have an installed version of NVDA, even running a portable
version of NVDA, pressing enter in a *.nvda-addon file, the add-on will
be installed in the portable version.

If you do not have any NVDA version installed, to install a add-on, go
to add-on manager, go to install button and choose the add-on you want
to install...

Rui Fontes

Às 18:26 de 16/02/2020, molly the blind tech lover escreveu:
> Hi.
> I made two portable versions of NVDA . . . Is there a way to install some of my add-ons on to the portable versions?

This is controlled by file type associations and handler.

Cheers,

Joseph

But how does Windows know which program to install the add-on in if you press enter on it the portable or installed version?

Actually, one can install add-ons into portable NVDA version provided that an installed copy already exists.

Cheers,

Joseph

As far as I know, to install an add-on in a portable version, you can't just press enter on it.  The whole point of a portable program is to run and not make any changes to the system it is running on.  If it told Windows to install add-ons with the extension used, that would be making a change in the registry.

I'm quite sure that you must use Manage Add-ons in the tools submenu of NVDA when installing to a portable version.

If you have an installed version of NVDA, even running a portable
version of NVDA, pressing enter in a *.nvda-addon file, the add-on will
be installed in the portable version.

If you do not have any NVDA version installed, to install a add-on, go
to add-on manager, go to install button and choose the add-on you want
to install...

Rui Fontes

Às 18:26 de 16/02/2020, molly the blind tech lover escreveu:
> Hi.
> I made two portable versions of NVDA . . . Is there a way to install some of my add-ons on to the portable versions?

Is not Windows that install...

It is NVDA that installs...

The Windows association tells Windows that is NVDA that handles NVDA-ADDON files...

NVDA will install the add-on in the running copy...

Regards,

Rui Fontes

Sent: Sunday, February 16, 2020 8:55 PM