Topics

my friend's problem is solved for now

Rosemarie Chavarria

Hi, everyone,

I had my friend go into narrator to see if she had NVDA in her downloads folder. She has NVDA 2019.2 but now she can't update it. For some strange reason she's not able to go into the NVDA menu by hitting insert N. I tried the caps lock and the other key but nothing worked. I think the man who fixed her computer didn't configure it correctly.

Any suggestions as to how she can get into the NVDA menu?

Thanks again for your help.

Rosemarie

Gene

She can try the system tray. If she can find the NVDA icon there, she can open the menu by pressing the context menu key when she is on the icon or using shift f10 command.

Gene

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, October 16, 2020 3:23 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] my friend's problem is solved for now

Hi, everyone,

I had my friend go into narrator to see if she had NVDA in her downloads
folder. She has NVDA 2019.2 but now she can't update it. For some
strange reason she's not able to go into the NVDA menu by hitting insert
N. I tried the caps lock and the other key but nothing worked. I think
the man who fixed her computer didn't configure it correctly.

Rosemarie

Chris

I think the first thing to try is to restart the computer, see if that fixes  the issue

Sent: 16 October 2020 21:23

H

Rosemarie Chavarria

She wasn't able to find the system tray.

On 10/16/2020 1:32 PM, Gene wrote:
She can try the system tray.  If she can find the NVDA icon there, she can open the menu by pressing the context menu key when she is on the icon or using shift f10 command.

Gene
-----Original Message----- From: Rosemarie Chavarria

Hi, everyone,

Rosemarie

Rosemarie Chavarria

We tried a restart and that

didn't work either.

On 10/16/2020 1:38 PM, Chris via groups.io wrote:

I think the first thing to try is to restart the computer, see if that fixes  the issue

H

hurrikennyandopo ...

Hi

Even though he downloaded it did he actually install it to the computer?

If there is a installed copy you can also check under the windows menus that tell you what is on your computer if not there then he did not install it.

If it is then there the alt + ctrl + letter N key should start nvda.

if this is the case it will depend if he chose the insert key or the caps lock key as the modifier key.

if he ticked the caps lock key then the letter N will do the trick.

if that one was not checked  then they will need to locate the insert keey.

Other wise you can do it through the notification area to get to nvda then preferences etc to get to keyboard settings and check those modifier keys.

Gene nz

On 17/10/2020 9:23 am, Rosemarie Chavarria wrote:
Hi, everyone,

I had my friend go into narrator to see if she had NVDA in her downloads folder. She has NVDA 2019.2 but now she can't update it. For some strange reason she's not able to go into the NVDA menu by hitting insert N. I tried the caps lock and the other key but nothing worked. I think the man who fixed her computer didn't configure it correctly.

Rosemarie

Gene

Windows key b will move you to the system tray.

Gene

Sent: Friday, October 16, 2020 3:39 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] my friend's problem is solved for now

She can try the system tray. If she can find the NVDA icon there, she can open the menu by pressing the context menu key when she is on the icon or using shift f10 command.

Gene

Hi, everyone,

Rosemarie

Well and you can see how much issue I have with computer shops and some others.

Its not been like this for a while because I managed to get a trusted supplier.

But here is what used to happen a few years back.

1.  computer has an issue.

2.  get it fixed.

3.  reformat and reinstall because the shop left or installed extra junk on the computer, didn't clean it up and so windows is a mess.

On 17/10/2020 9:41 am, Rosemarie Chavarria wrote:

didn't work either.

H

Rosemarie Chavarria

I know that but there's supposed to be a notification overflow thing and that's what she couldn't find. We dideverything we could think of but to no avail.

On 10/16/2020 2:45 PM, Gene wrote:

Gene

She can try the system tray.  If she can find the NVDA icon there, she can open the menu by pressing the context menu key when she is on the icon or using shift f10 command.

Gene

Hi, everyone,

Rosemarie

Rosemarie Chavarria

Hi, Sean,

The techie had my friend's computer for over a year. She tried to get a hold of him but he never returned her calls. I kept trying to tell her that she might have to pay for good tech service but she put her trust in the guy. I think he messed her computer up royally!

On 10/16/2020 3:29 PM, Shaun Everiss wrote:

Well and you can see how much issue I have with computer shops and some others.

Its not been like this for a while because I managed to get a trusted supplier.

But here is what used to happen a few years back.

1.  computer has an issue.

2.  get it fixed.

3.  reformat and reinstall because the shop left or installed extra junk on the computer, didn't clean it up and so windows is a mess.

On 17/10/2020 9:41 am, Rosemarie Chavarria wrote:

didn't work either.

H

Leslie

One time I took my computer to Geek Squad and they messed one of my computers up royally too.  My computer went through two other parties before it was fixed.  That computer spent its entire life with me and I got another computer and some left over voices were loaded onto a brand new computer.  I just removed them recently.  Repair places can really mess up computers when they don’t understand screen reader software.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Friday, October 16, 2020 3:30 PM

I

Well when I get a system to fix, I always ask if this is, a get it working no matter what, or is this, get it, test it, give me a deadline and maybe a contract and I'll get it done.

If the forma, then I will do what I need to do to get it working ignoring everything else.

For most people that I handle their system, I ask what they want, whats it doing, how have they done it and note it down.

When I get a new system to fix, the first thing I do is reformat.

A reformat fixes everything and means I don't have to handle all the stuff I don't know and gets me control.

It also makes me put things together without stuff getting in the way.

I also make note of hardware, devices, the system specs etc.

I then install everything needed and any extras people want, do research on the system and optimise it.

Its up to them weather they keep it that way however.

And 90% of all my customers keep it like that.

Excluding the one guy that clicked all the boxes on websites saying his system was infected because he was scared about the icons on the system tray, that actually got a chuckle outa me.

The same guy then coppied his user account over without following all the safety procedures to do that requiring me to make another account and reinstall a bunch of extra stuff, and to be sure I gave him the 6 page document and told him that thats not the way you do it.

The only other one I had was a person that I got everything working that continuously did the same things to break it, ie loaded cracked software, used dodgy sites, clicked the links.

This person also didn't give me their list of what they wanted and just said it was slow.

So I got the system, reformatted it again, tested it, loaded and said it was fine.

2 weeks later, its broken, so I got the system, reformattted it, tested it and it was fine.

This happened 6 times before I decided the easiest way was to reformat the system, load xp which what it originally had, load it to factory defaults, and hand it back with a disk of all the stuff I put on it, and end the contract because it was becoming a total hellish bore.

Now I am at some point facing a person that has a system that was never configured but these guys are security nuts, which believe that updates of any kind break things.

So I am going to have to take the system, clear it and see what is what if they agree.

Probably won't happen.

I also have a guy on my list that keeps his system going on 1 win7 install and if it breaks even though he has worked it to almost death refuses to replace it till its sort of in a semi broken state.

He's my brother and well.

I have also had people that instead of asking me load a load of stuff for something I allready have.

This means the system gets full of spyware and other junk.

The stupid thing is I have access to the stuff they need and all they need to do is ask me for it, give me the cash and I send the thing.

But no.

So here is a system totally screwed because no one listens to little me, so another reformat but I actually feel like I was wasting my time.

My top one is the person that had a virus.

Her responce, load 30 firewalls 30 antimalware and virus scanners and a load of other things to find out what the best is.

Result, 95% of the hard drive is full of junk files.

Removed all the programs and put it down to just a couple.

The system needed to be back the next day.

So its on all night long clearing out junk files and happily it worked after that but still.

Then there are the people that read half the screen, try to do a simple task and end up in the middle of another galaxy, loading spyware, extra software and the like without knowing what it is.

They don't know how they got there maybe they got distracted.

So I clear the system and just in case I am a total retarded dumbo which is possible because I remember so many command sets its impossible to remember everything at any 1 time, and I can get there and it works and I can't find where the problem actually was.

I don't think its possible though for the blind to halfscreen anything in fact unless I am really that tired that I am falling asleep at my terminal which doesn't happen these days because I make sure to go away before that happens.

In fact if  I start to read something, or search for stupid things online or sit for a minute or so, only to find myself pushing my eyes then I pritty much know I need to hit the sack because the next time and thing I know I will be off my chair.

On 17/10/2020 4:45 pm, Leslie wrote:

One time I took my computer to Geek Squad and they messed one of my computers up royally too.  My computer went through two other parties before it was fixed.  That computer spent its entire life with me and I got another computer and some left over voices were loaded onto a brand new computer.  I just removed them recently.  Repair places can really mess up computers when they don’t understand screen reader software.

I

Gene

And repair places often update programs that shouldn't be updated because the new versions aren't accessible. If a machine is taken into a repair place, perhaps an agreement, perhaps in writing, should be made that no changes, except those necessary to repair, including disinfect, a computer will be made without the approval of the owner.

I have no idea if repair places will accept such agreements but I pose the topic for discussion.

Gene

Sent: Friday, October 16, 2020 10:45 PM

One time I took my computer to Geek Squad and they messed one of my computers up royally too. My computer went through two other parties before it was fixed. That computer spent its entire life with me and I got another computer and some left over voices were loaded onto a brand new computer. I just removed them recently. Repair places can really mess up computers when they don’t understand screen reader software.

I

Rosemarie Chavarria

Hi, Gene,

The techie that took my friend's computer to supposedly fix it did it out of his ownhome. He kept it for over a year and when my friend tried to call him to ask about the computer, he never returned her calls. I've heard of dishonesty but this takes the cake! Now she's having trouble with it again. She has to redownload NVDA so I think there's something wrong with the computer itself.

Rosemarie

On 10/17/2020 6:26 AM, Gene wrote:
And repair places often update programs that shouldn't be updated because the new versions aren't accessible.  If a machine is taken into a repair place, perhaps an agreement, perhaps in writing, should be made that no changes, except those necessary to repair, including disinfect, a computer will be made without the approval of the owner.

I have no idea if repair places will accept such agreements but I pose the topic for discussion.

Gene

-----Original Message----- From: Leslie

One time I took my computer to Geek Squad and they messed one of my computers up royally too.  My computer went through two other parties before it was fixed.  That computer spent its entire life with me and I got another computer and some left over voices were loaded onto a brand new computer.  I just removed them recently. Repair places can really mess up computers when they don’t understand screen reader software.

I

Chris Smart

I hate to say you sometimes get what you pay for...

That said, good help is hard to find.

I'm lucky in that I found a local independent computer repairer and recycler who have been in business for a long time. So far, they've been friendly, knowledgeable, and quite fair on pricing.

Chris

On 2020-10-17 12:10 p.m., Rosemarie Chavarria wrote:
Hi, Gene,

The techie that took my friend's computer to supposedly fix it did it out of his ownhome. He kept it for over a year and when my friend tried to call him to ask about the computer, he never returned her calls. I've heard of dishonesty but this takes the cake! Now she's having trouble with it again. She has to redownload NVDA so I think there's something wrong with the computer itself.

Rosemarie

And repair places often update programs that shouldn't be updated because the new versions aren't accessible.  If a machine is taken into a repair place, perhaps an agreement, perhaps in writing, should be made that no changes, except those necessary to repair, including disinfect, a computer will be made without the approval of the owner.

Gene

One time I took my computer to Geek Squad and they messed one of my computers up royally too.  My computer went through two other parties before it was fixed.  That computer spent its entire life with me and I got another computer and some left over voices were loaded onto a brand new computer.  I just removed them recently. Repair places can really mess up computers when they don’t understand screen reader software.

I

Rosemarie Chavarria

You're right. I guess my friend thought this guy would do a great job fixing her computer. She and her husband don't live close to a place like Best Buys. They have to drive clear out of town to a place like that. She knows one other person who might be able to fix her computer but he doesn't want to go to her house because of the Corona virus.

On 10/17/2020 9:15 AM, Chris Smart wrote:

I'm lucky in that I found a local independent computer repairer and recycler who have been in business for a long time. So far, they've been friendly, knowledgeable, and quite fair on pricing.

Chris

Hi, Gene,

Rosemarie

Gene

I

Gene

And that's not a computer virus so at least the computer doesn't have that. (grin)

Gene

Sent: Saturday, October 17, 2020 11:19 AM

You're right. I guess my friend thought this guy would do a great job
fixing her computer. She and her husband don't live close to a place
like Best Buys. They have to drive clear out of town to a place like
that. She knows one other person who might be able to fix her computer
but he doesn't want to go to her house because of the Corona virus.

On 10/17/2020 9:15 AM, Chris Smart wrote:

Chris

Hi, Gene,

Rosemarie

And repair places often update programs that shouldn't be updated because the new versions aren't accessible. If a machine is taken into a repair place, perhaps an agreement, perhaps in writing, should be made that no changes, except those necessary to repair, including disinfect, a computer will be made without the approval of the owner.

Gene

One time I took my computer to Geek Squad and they messed one of my computers up royally too. My computer went through two other parties before it was fixed. That computer spent its entire life with me and I got another computer and some left over voices were loaded onto a brand new computer. I just removed them recently. Repair places can really mess up computers when they don’t understand screen reader software.

I

tim

For the over flow to show. After minimizing to desktop, tab to Navigation button and hit the space bar. That will make all in the list show there icons.
Without doing that you only get the short list of main devices.

On 10/16/2020 6:30 PM, Rosemarie Chavarria wrote:
I know that but there's supposed to be a notification overflow thing and that's what she couldn't find. We dideverything we could think of but to no avail.
On 10/16/2020 2:45 PM, Gene wrote:

Gene

Gene

Hi, everyone,

Rosemarie

Sarah k Alawami

Can she check for hard drive damage? I'm thinking this might be the case based on what you are saying.

Take care

--

Sarah Alawami, owner of TFFP. . For more info go to our website.

Check out my adventures with a shadow machine.

to subscribe to the feed click here and you can also follow us on twitter

Our discord is where you will know when we go live on twitch. Feel free to give the channel a follow and see what is up there.

For stream archives, products you can buy and more visit my main lbry page and my tffp lbry page You will also be able to buy some of my products and eBooks there.

Finally, to become a patron and help support the podcast go here

On 17 Oct 2020, at 9:10, Rosemarie Chavarria wrote:

Hi, Gene,

Rosemarie

Gene

I

Rosemarie Chavarria

She'll have to use narrator but she doesn't know how to check for drive damage.

On 10/17/2020 10:40 AM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:

Can she check for hard drive damage? I'm thinking this might be the case based on what you are saying.

Take care

--

Sarah Alawami, owner of TFFP. . For more info go to our website.

Check out my adventures with a shadow machine.

to subscribe to the feed click here and you can also follow us on twitter

Our discord is where you will know when we go live on twitch. Feel free to give the channel a follow and see what is up there.

For stream archives, products you can buy and more visit my main lbry page and my tffp lbry page You will also be able to buy some of my products and eBooks there.

Finally, to become a patron and help support the podcast go here

On 17 Oct 2020, at 9:10, Rosemarie Chavarria wrote:

Hi, Gene,

Rosemarie

Gene

I