From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Louise Pfau
Sent: Tuesday, April 6, 2021 5:51 PM
To: NVDA Group <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Subject: [nvda] Navigating dates in the Windows 10 calendar using NVDA 2020.4 and the Windows 10 app essentials 21.03 add-on

Hi.  I was trying to navigate through the dates in the Windows 10 calendar, which is set up in a tabular structure like an Excel spreadsheet.  When I was navigating by week (the row equivalent), NVDA wouldn’t speak the new date that had the focus.  It did speak the date when I moved by day though.  I’m using Windows 10 pro Version 20H2 (OS Build 19042.867), NVDA 2020.4, and the Windows 10 app essentials 21.03 add-on.  Has anyone else come across this?

Thanks,

Louise

Louise Pfau

On Tuesday, April 6, 2021 at 7:19 pm, Joseph Lee wrote:
Can you retry after restarting NVDA while focused on Calendar app? NVDA does announce dates as I move between weeks (up or down arrow in month view).
--
I tried that, and NVDA announced dates occasionally as I moved between weeks in month view, since I kept the default.  The rest of the time, there’s no spoken feedback.

Thanks,

Louise

Hi,

I see. Can you try the following:

  1. While focused on Calendar app, restart NVDA with debug logging enabled (NVDA+Q, then select “restart with debug logging”).
  2. Use Calendar app to move between dates and weeks.
  3. Press NVDA+F1 to open log viewer.
  4. Copy everything in the log viewer and paste it as a private email to me. I will do my best to analyze and report back to the list on what might be happening.

Note that if there is indeed an error with Windows 10 App Essentials, I may need to investigate a possible solution for June release (April 2021 release was just finalized).

Also, just for reference, can you try with Narrator and see if that makes a difference?

Cheers,

Joseph

On Tuesday, April 6, 2021 at 7:19 pm, Joseph Lee wrote:

Can you retry after restarting NVDA while focused on Calendar app? NVDA does announce dates as I move between weeks (up or down arrow in month view).

--

I tried that, and NVDA announced dates occasionally as I moved between weeks in month view, since I kept the default.  The rest of the time, there’s no spoken feedback.

Thanks,

Louise

Hi all,

Based on the debug log I have received and testing it with Narrator, it appears Microsoft should be made aware of this issue. Specifically, when you move between weeks in Calendar app, a lot of UIA events are raised, none of which relates to focus movement (a lot of name property change events are raised, which are not related to focus movement).

Cheers,

Joseph

On Tuesday, April 6, 2021 at 7:19 pm, Joseph Lee wrote:

Can you retry after restarting NVDA while focused on Calendar app? NVDA does announce dates as I move between weeks (up or down arrow in month view).

--

I tried that, and NVDA announced dates occasionally as I moved between weeks in month view, since I kept the default.  The rest of the time, there’s no spoken feedback.

Thanks,

Louise

Louise Pfau

I appologize.  I thought it was an issue with NVDA.

Louise