Topics

Navigating to a specific link when there are many on a webpage

Andy Jobben

Hi there NVDA users

I'm a WordPress user and i got a queation if there is a quicker way to help me work.

Let's say you have a website with many links. All those links are a navigation and have sub link aswell. Well the thing is that i need one of the links that are almost in the middle. I can tab till my finters breaks or use the element list NVDA plus F7, But i'm curious if there is a way that i can jump to that specific link/button by making a short key or with a addon.

Hope someone can help in this.

I presume this is a fixed link that is the same every time you land on the page.  And if that presumption is correct, why not just use your screen reader find or the web browser find to go straight to it by name?  There would have to be something in the name that is distinctive to it, so use that as your search criteria.

          ~ Oscar Wilde

Gene

The find command is one of the most underused and most powerful ways of web page navigation.  Often, four letters is adequate to allow you to find something on the first search or on repeating the search.

Be at the top of the page and search for what you are looking for.  For example, if the link says opinion, search for opin.  It doesn't have to be the first word or part of it.  If it is common and you will have to search many times, use a different word or part of it in the link.

If that link is the first link you have gone to in the navigation links and remains the first, you can also go to the top of the page and type v for move by visited links.

Gene

On 9/17/2020 2:50 AM, Andy Jobben wrote:
Hi there NVDA users

I'm a WordPress user and i got a queation if there is a quicker way to help me work.

Let's say you have a website with many links. All those links are a navigation and have sub link aswell. Well the thing is that i need one of the links that are almost in the middle. I can tab till my finters breaks or use the element list NVDA plus F7, But i'm curious if there is a way that i can jump to that specific link/button by making a short key or with a addon.

Hope someone can help in this.

Luke Robinett

You mentioned the NVDA object browser and I would say that’s your best bet. It has a search filter that allows you to decide what object type – form fields, links, headings etc. you want and you can type in a specific search term. I can’t think of anything much faster than this, myself. I use this tool frequently

Luke Robinett

Oh, another suggestion. If that is the only link you visit on that page, or if it’s one of only a small number of links you visit, you can press the V key on your keyboard while in browse mode to cycle through previously visited links. That might be worth a shot as well.

On Sep 17, 2020, at 9:26 AM, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:

[...]

Thank you all for the anwers.

I cant use the V because i sometimes use the other aswell.

but i will try using the search function like you have mentioned.

On Fri, Sep 18, 2020 at 10:02 AM, Andy Jobben wrote:
I cant use the V because i sometimes use the other as well.
-
Unless you are actually visiting many links on this page, even doing a brute force traversal only of the links you've visited is faster than tabbing.  If you've only visited a few links on the page, and generally only visit a few, using a couple of hits of the V visited link command can be even faster than using screen reader find for pages you revisit on a frequent basis.

But for any page that you're new to, or newish to, using either regular browser find, screen reader find, or both is far more efficient.

          ~ Oscar Wilde

Luke Robinett

Well, it turns out I’ve been studying python and have wanted to get started authoring my first NVDA add-on. Maybe this would be a candidate for a good first project. Basically I’m thinking you could bind a custom hotkey to a link or control on a page that you want to be able to jump directly to. Thoughts on something like this?

On Sep 18, 2020, at 8:24 AM, Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:

On Fri, Sep 18, 2020 at 10:02 AM, Andy Jobben wrote:
I cant use the V because i sometimes use the other as well.
-
Unless you are actually visiting many links on this page, even doing a brute force traversal only of the links you've visited is faster than tabbing.  If you've only visited a few links on the page, and generally only visit a few, using a couple of hits of the V visited link command can be even faster than using screen reader find for pages you revisit on a frequent basis.

But for any page that you're new to, or newish to, using either regular browser find, screen reader find, or both is far more efficient.

          ~ Oscar Wilde

Tony Malykh

With my BrowserNav add-on, you can set your link to be a "browser mark" - and then you can press letter J to jump to that mark. This would be essentially finding your link by its title, except you won't have to type the search term every time. If you do this often - it'll save you a lot of time.

--Tony

On 9/17/2020 12:50 AM, Andy Jobben wrote:
Hi there NVDA users

I'm a WordPress user and i got a queation if there is a quicker way to help me work.

Let's say you have a website with many links. All those links are a navigation and have sub link aswell. Well the thing is that i need one of the links that are almost in the middle. I can tab till my finters breaks or use the element list NVDA plus F7, But i'm curious if there is a way that i can jump to that specific link/button by making a short key or with a addon.

Hope someone can help in this.

Andy Jobben

That would be a good one :)

Andy Jobben

On Sat, Sep 19, 2020 at 03:13 PM, Tony Malykh wrote:
BrowserNav add-on
I found that add-on, but the description is talking about paragraphs. How can i do this wit links?

Ralf Kefferpuetz

Go into its settings, the last entry is where you can add your regex strings you can jump to with hotkey J

On Sat, Sep 19, 2020 at 03:13 PM, Tony Malykh wrote:

BrowserNav add-on

I found that add-on, but the description is talking about paragraphs. How can i do this wit links?

Tony Malykh

Paragraph is a technical term within NVDA. Most likely your link is a paragraph. So just put the full text of your link in BrowserNav settings in browser marks field. Then you'd be able to jump there directly with J and Shift+J keystrokes.

On 9/20/2020 11:18 AM, Andy Jobben wrote:
On Sat, Sep 19, 2020 at 03:13 PM, Tony Malykh wrote:
BrowserNav add-on
I found that add-on, but the description is talking about paragraphs. How can i do this wit links?

Andy Jobben

When i go to options > browser nav

I get a small popup and there are a few checkboxes but no form field where i can write the words of the link. Where do i need to do that?

Andy Jobben

I cant find that field to put in that word phrase.

Ralf Kefferpuetz

There is only 1 edit field in this window and it is the last field before you tab to the OK button

I cant find that field to put in that word phrase.