Topics

Need help with a local TV website with NVDA

Lino Morales

I'm about to pull out what's left of my hair out. Could anyone help me? I can't figure out what our local ABC affiliate in Charlotte NC did to their flash settings. the website is:
www.wsoctv.com
Find the heading link labeled watch live. It used to play straight away, but as of yesterday it doesn't.There is a clickable imbeded object. I went into focus mode and hit numbpad enter and nothing happens. Thanks.

Lino Morales

BTW, I'm using Firefox 45.1.

On 3/19/2016 12:09 PM, Lino Morales wrote:
I'm about to pull out what's left of my hair out. Could anyone help me? I can't figure out what our local ABC affiliate in Charlotte NC did to their flash settings. the website is:
www.wsoctv.com
Find the heading link labeled watch live. It used to play straight away, but as of yesterday it doesn't.There is a clickable imbeded object. I went into focus mode and hit numbpad enter and nothing happens. Thanks.

Gene

Your local station is using an inaccessible Flash control or Flash player, I'm not sure just what.  I think they switched to an inaccessible Flash player.  You might be able to get the site to play using a physical mouse and the NVDA feature that announces what is under the mouse as you move it but I don't know if you can or not.  I don't recall ever being able to get Flash to play from the keyboard when I've come across this kind of inaccessible control.  However, you might want to play with other browsers and screen-readers to see if any of them provide access.  Someone else may experiment and figure out a way to get access.  Or perhaps I'll find something but it doesn't look promising.

Sent: Saturday, March 19, 2016 11:09 AM
Subject: [nvda] Need help with a local TV website with NVDA

I'm about to pull out what's left of my hair out. Could anyone help me?
I can't figure out what our local ABC affiliate in Charlotte NC did to
their flash settings. the website is:
www.wsoctv.com
Find the heading link labeled watch live. It used to play straight away,
but as of yesterday it doesn't.There is a clickable imbeded object. I
went into focus mode and hit numbpad enter and nothing happens. Thanks.

Armando <braille.bt4753@...>

Try contacting the local website by email. They should have a contact page. Tell them what screen-reader you use.

----
Sent from a BrailleNote Apex BT32, Running KeySoft 9.5, Build 1280

Note: The Technology For The Blind List requires new subscribers to be approved and email messages being approved or rejected.

You can also subscribe to the blind-chat group I had created. This group is for general chat, which means that
if you are blind, you can join this group!
--------------------------------

[...]

Kevin Chao

I tried the liev stream and interacting with the Flash player, but browser crashed.
The web dev will have to revert to previous player or move away from Flash to HTML5 <video>.

On Sat, Mar 19, 2016 at 10:30 AM Armando <braille.bt4753@...> wrote:
Try contacting the local website by email.  They should have a
contact page.  Tell them what screen-reader you use.

----
Sent from a BrailleNote Apex BT32, Running KeySoft 9.5, Build
1280

Note: The Technology For The Blind List requires new subscribers
to be approved and email messages being approved or rejected.

You can also subscribe to the blind-chat group I had created.
This group is for general chat, which means that
if you are blind, you can join this group!
To subscribe, send a blank email to
blind-chat+subscribe@groups.io
--------------------------------

I'm about to pull out what's left of my hair out.  Could anyone
help me?
I can't figure out what our local ABC affiliate in Charlotte NC
did to
their flash settings.  the website is:
www.wsoctv.com
Find the heading link labeled watch live.  It used to play
straight away,
but as of yesterday it doesn't.There is a clickable imbeded
object.  I
went into focus mode and hit numbpad enter and nothing happens.
Thanks.

David Moore

Hi,
The browser Google Chrome will work much better. I have found this out for myself on three computers. Chrome uses HTML 5 to the greatest extent, and streaming works much better. That is my thought. Have a great one.

mailto:blind-chat%2Bsubscribe@groups.io
--------------------------------

I'm about to pull out what's left of my hair out.  Could anyone
help me?
I can't figure out what our local ABC affiliate in Charlotte NC
did to
their flash settings.  the website is:
www.wsoctv.com
Find the heading link labeled watch live.  It used to play
straight away,
but as of yesterday it doesn't.There is a clickable imbeded
object.  I
went into focus mode and hit numbpad enter and nothing happens.
Thanks.

Kevin Chao

This link/live stream crashed in Chrome.

On Sat, Mar 19, 2016 at 11:46 AM David Moore <jesusloves1966@...> wrote:
Hi,
The browser Google Chrome will work much better. I have found this out for myself on three computers. Chrome uses HTML 5 to the greatest extent, and streaming works much better. That is my thought. Have a great one.

I'm about to pull out what's left of my hair out.  Could anyone
help me?
I can't figure out what our local ABC affiliate in Charlotte NC
did to
their flash settings.  the website is:
www.wsoctv.com
Find the heading link labeled watch live.  It used to play
straight away,
but as of yesterday it doesn't.There is a clickable imbeded
object.  I
went into focus mode and hit numbpad enter and nothing happens.
Thanks.

Rosemarie Chavarria

Hi, Lino,

I'll play with it right now and see if I can figure it out. I'll let you all know what happens.

Rosemarie

On 3/19/2016 9:09 AM, Lino Morales wrote:
I'm about to pull out what's left of my hair out. Could anyone help me? I can't figure out what our local ABC affiliate in Charlotte NC did to their flash settings. the website is:
www.wsoctv.com
Find the heading link labeled watch live. It used to play straight away, but as of yesterday it doesn't.There is a clickable imbeded object. I went into focus mode and hit numbpad enter and nothing happens. Thanks.

Rosemarie Chavarria

Hi, Lino,

I couldn't get the site to work either. I hit o for imbedded object and did a left click but that didn't work. Maybe someone else might be better able to figure out what's going on.

Rosemarie

Hi, Lino,

I'll play with it right now and see if I can figure it out. I'll let you all know what happens.

Rosemarie

On 3/19/2016 9:09 AM, Lino Morales wrote:
I'm about to pull out what's left of my hair out. Could anyone help me? I can't figure out what our local ABC affiliate in Charlotte NC did to their flash settings. the website is:
www.wsoctv.com
Find the heading link labeled watch live. It used to play straight away, but as of yesterday it doesn't.There is a clickable imbeded object. I went into focus mode and hit numbpad enter and nothing happens. Thanks.

Stephen

Hi there.
Unfortunately, you'll have to update your version of adobe flash
Go here to do this and click on the Flash Player for Firefox - NPAPI link
https://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/installation-problems-flash-player-windows.html
Let me know if it helps, if not, we will try something else.

At 06:17 AM 3/20/2016, you wrote:
Hi, Lino,

I'll play with it right now and see if I can figure it out. I'll let you all know what happens.

Rosemarie

On 3/19/2016 9:09 AM, Lino Morales wrote:
I'm about to pull out what's left of my hair out. Could anyone help me? I can't figure out what our local ABC affiliate in Charlotte NC did to their flash settings. the website is:
www.wsoctv.com
Find the heading link labeled watch live. It used to play straight away, but as of yesterday it doesn't.There is a clickable imbeded object. I went into focus mode and hit numbpad enter and nothing happens. Thanks.

Lino Morales

Yeah that would be nice if they did. I guess I'll stick to their IOS app for now to watch thier news casts.

On 3/19/2016 2:20 PM, Kevin Chao wrote:
[...]

I'm already running Flash non IE version 21.

At 06:17 AM 3/20/2016, you wrote:
Hi, Lino,

I'll play with it right now and see if I can figure it out. I'll let you all know what happens.

Rosemarie

On 3/19/2016 9:09 AM, Lino Morales wrote:
I'm about to pull out what's left of my hair out. Could anyone help me? I can't figure out what our local ABC affiliate in Charlotte NC did to their flash settings. the website is:
www.wsoctv.com
Find the heading link labeled watch live. It used to play straight away, but as of yesterday it doesn't.There is a clickable imbeded object. I went into focus mode and hit numbpad enter and nothing happens. Thanks.

Stephen

Ok, that's good.
Next, you need to install a mozilla addon called Grease monkey.
www.greasespot.net
After that, you must install an addon called "kill windowless flash"
http://userscripts-mirror.org/scripts/show/120211
Tell me when you have completed those steps and I'll instruct you on what to do next.
Cheers.

At 06:17 AM 3/20/2016, you wrote:
Hi, Lino,

I'll play with it right now and see if I can figure it out. I'll let you all know what happens.

Rosemarie

On 3/19/2016 9:09 AM, Lino Morales wrote:
I'm about to pull out what's left of my hair out. Could anyone help me? I can't figure out what our local ABC affiliate in Charlotte NC did to their flash settings. the website is:
www.wsoctv.com
Find the heading link labeled watch live. It used to play straight away, but as of yesterday it doesn't.There is a clickable imbeded object. I went into focus mode and hit numbpad enter and nothing happens. Thanks.

Gene

Have you tried the site?  I have tried Grease Monkey and Kill Windowless Flash now and then.  I seem to recall that it doesn't work on this kind of player.  Some things are just plain inaccessible.  As I said, it's a vague memory and I may be wrong but my recollection of this kind of player is that it is just not accessible.

gene

At 09:53 AM 3/20/2016, you wrote:
>I'm already running Flash non IE version 21.
>
>On 3/19/2016 5:16 PM, Stephen wrote:
>>Hi there.
>>Unfortunately, you'll have to update your version of adobe flash
>>Go here to do this and click on the Flash Player for Firefox - NPAPI link
>>https://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/installation-problems-flash-player-windows.html
>>
>>Let me know if it helps, if not, we will try something else.
>>At 06:17 AM 3/20/2016, you wrote:
>>>Hi, Lino,
>>>
>>>I'll play with it right now and see if I can figure it out. I'll
>>>let you all know what happens.
>>>
>>>Rosemarie

Stephen

Yes I have tried the site, it is workable with grease monkey and kill windowless flash installed, but you have to use object navigation with the flash portion.

At 09:53 AM 3/20/2016, you wrote:
>I'm already running Flash non IE version 21.
>
>On 3/19/2016 5:16 PM, Stephen wrote:
>>Hi there.
>>Unfortunately, you'll have to update your version of adobe flash
>>Go here to do this and click on the Flash Player for Firefox - NPAPI link
>> https://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/installation-problems-flash-player-windows.html
>>
>>Let me know if it helps, if not, we will try something else.
>>At 06:17 AM 3/20/2016, you wrote:
>>>Hi, Lino,
>>>
>>>I'll play with it right now and see if I can figure it out. I'll
>>>let you all know what happens.
>>>
>>>Rosemarie

Gene

That's good.  I may try that method.  It may be the only way to use the site with a browser.

At 09:53 AM 3/20/2016, you wrote:
>I'm already running Flash non IE version 21.
>
>On 3/19/2016 5:16 PM, Stephen wrote:
>>Hi there.
>>Unfortunately, you'll have to update your version of adobe flash
>>Go here to do this and click on the Flash Player for Firefox - NPAPI link
>> https://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/installation-problems-flash-player-windows.html
>>
>>Let me know if it helps, if not, we will try something else.
>>At 06:17 AM 3/20/2016, you wrote:
>>>Hi, Lino,
>>>
>>>I'll play with it right now and see if I can figure it out. I'll
>>>let you all know what happens.
>>>
>>>Rosemarie

Gene

There may be some technical reason I can't get the site to play using Grease Monkey and Kill Windowless Flash.  I never use these add ons and they are installed in an old version of Firefox Portable.  But I was unsuccessful and I believe this player is the same player I was unsuccessful with years ago.  What is your procedure?  Are you using the NVDA activate command or the mouse command?

At 09:53 AM 3/20/2016, you wrote:
>I'm already running Flash non IE version 21.
>
>On 3/19/2016 5:16 PM, Stephen wrote:
>>Hi there.
>>Unfortunately, you'll have to update your version of adobe flash
>>Go here to do this and click on the Flash Player for Firefox - NPAPI link
>>https://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/installation-problems-flash-player-windows.html
>>
>>Let me know if it helps, if not, we will try something else.
>>At 06:17 AM 3/20/2016, you wrote:
>>>Hi, Lino,
>>>
>>>I'll play with it right now and see if I can figure it out. I'll
>>>let you all know what happens.
>>>
>>>Rosemarie

Stephen

It uses the flash app by brightcove.

At 09:53 AM 3/20/2016, you wrote:
>I'm already running Flash non IE version 21.
>
>On 3/19/2016 5:16 PM, Stephen wrote:
>>Hi there.
>>Unfortunately, you'll have to update your version of adobe flash
>>Go here to do this and click on the Flash Player for Firefox - NPAPI link
>> https://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/installation-problems-flash-player-windows.html
>>
>>Let me know if it helps, if not, we will try something else.
>>At 06:17 AM 3/20/2016, you wrote:
>>>Hi, Lino,
>>>
>>>I'll play with it right now and see if I can figure it out. I'll
>>>let you all know what happens.
>>>
>>>Rosemarie

Gene

That's what I thought.  it looked exactly like the Bright co app I've seen on some other sites.  You may have gotten it to work but as I recall, I never have with any screen-reader or any browser.

At 09:53 AM 3/20/2016, you wrote:
>I'm already running Flash non IE version 21.
>
>On 3/19/2016 5:16 PM, Stephen wrote:
>>Hi there.
>>Unfortunately, you'll have to update your version of adobe flash
>>Go here to do this and click on the Flash Player for Firefox - NPAPI link
>> https://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/installation-problems-flash-player-windows.html
>>
>>Let me know if it helps, if not, we will try something else.
>>At 06:17 AM 3/20/2016, you wrote:
>>>Hi, Lino,
>>>
>>>I'll play with it right now and see if I can figure it out. I'll
>>>let you all know what happens.
>>>
>>>Rosemarie

Stephen

You must use grease monkey and kill windowless flash or else the brightcove flash portion will be inaccessible
After they have been installed, go to http://www.wsoctv.com/live-stream
click on where it says embedded object, then use object navigation mode and navigate the area with insert-2 4 and 6, You'll hear it say graphic graphic graphic, but amongst all the graphics is a series of numbers 0:00, route the mouse to the graphic beside the numbers then left click it. I know it's a little fiddly, but I have it cut down to a fine art.

At 01:05 AM 3/21/2016, you wrote:
There may be some technical reason I can't get the site to play using Grease Monkey and Kill Windowless Flash. I never use these add ons and they are installed in an old version of Firefox Portable. But I was unsuccessful and I believe this player is the same player I was unsuccessful with years ago. What is your procedure? Are you using the NVDA activate command or the mouse command?

Have you tried the site? I have tried Grease Monkey and Kill Windowless Flash now and then. I seem to recall that it doesn't work on this kind of player. Some things are just plain inaccessible. As I said, it's a vague memory and I may be wrong but my recollection of this kind of player is that it is just not accessible.

gene
Next, you need to install a mozilla addon called Grease monkey.
<http://www.greasespot.net>;www.greasespot.net
After that, you must install an addon called "kill windowless flash"
<http://userscripts-mirror.org/scripts/show/120211>;http://userscripts-mirror.org/scripts/show/120211