Topics

New Computer- problems with NVDA response

Anna Givens

I posted this in the NVDA chat list, and was advised to post it here in the main list:

I just got a new computer. Ando had issues with the initial setup, like when the computer first turned on the very first time and it was asking me to get things set up, and it had voice already- I guess it was narrator, it would stop responding and had to keep restarting multiple times. And then when setup process was finished I have had the following issue. Not sure if I should contact someone, and if so who. Or is there something that is just related to NVDA or what.
Help and ideas are greatly appreciated. I got this computer through Walmart, by the way.

I am pasting the info of the computer I got. And hoping someone could help me figure out what to do. NVDA is installed and I have had problems. A lot of the time NVDA just doesn’t talk or it responds very very slowly, for example I press tab or down arrow on a website, or on desktop or wherever and after 7-8seconds it speaks next line or item...
also, when this happens I have only one application running, or it’s on desktop and have nothing open.
Ideas??

Here’s the computer-

Lenovo Ideapad 330s 15.6" Laptop, Windows 10, AMD Ryzen 5 2500U Quad-Core Processor, 8GB Memory, 256GB Storage, Platinum Grey - 81FB00HKUS

Meet the Lenovo IdeaPad 330S. Thinner and lighter with narrow bezels for broader viewing, it boasts state-of-the-art processing and accelerated graphics performance. Featuring an AMD Ryzen 5 2500U Quad-Core processor, Integrated Radeon Vega 8 graphics, 8GB DDR4 2400 MHz RAM (4GB OnBoard + 4GB DIMM) memory, and 256GB PCIe SSD internal storage, this powerful laptop has all the essentials you need to tackle your day. Its 15.6-inch HD IPS LED backlit anti-glare display and Dolby Audio Premium speakers ensure gorgeously sharp images and crystal-clear sound whether you're out at the office or relaxing at home. Plus, with a battery life of up to seven hours, you can take on a whole to-do list before you even need to think about finding the nearest outlet to plug into. Power through any task with ease on the Lenovo IdeaPad 330S.

Lenovo Ideapad 330s 15.6" Laptop, Windows 10, AMD Ryzen 5 2500U Quad-Core Processor, 8GB Memory, 256GB Storage, Platinum Grey - 81FB00HKUS:

  • Operating system: Windows 10
  • Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 2500U Quad-Core Processor
  • Display: 15.6" HD IPS LED Backlit Anti-Glare Display
  • Memory: 8GB DDR4 2400 MHz RAM (4GB OnBoard + 4GB DIMM)
  • Internal storage: 256GB PCIe SSD Storage
  • Graphics: Integrated Radeon Vega 8 Graphics
  • Optical Drive: None
  • Battery Life: Up to 7 Hours
  • Audio: 2 x 2W Speakers with Dolby Audio Premium
  • Wireless: 802.11AC Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 4.1 Combo
  • Webcam: Front-Facing HD Webcam with integrated dual array microphone
  • Product weight: 3.96 lbs
  • Color: Platinum Grey

Warnings
Arrow
Specifications
Arrow
Processor Type
AMD Ryzen 5

Hard Drive Capacity
256 GB

Condition
New

Processor Speed
2 GHz

manufacturer_part_number
81fb00hkus

Wireless Technology
802.11AC Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 4.1 Combo

RAM Memory
8 GB

Maximum RAM Supported
8 GB

Operating System
Windows 10

Battery Life
7 h

Model
81FB00HKUS

Screen Size
15.6"

Brand
Lenovo

Thank you all so much.

Anna

On Mar 8, 2020, at 2:57 PM, Anna Givens <annajee82@...> wrote:

Thanka so much everybody!

I am pasting the info of the computer I got. And hoping someone could help me figure out what to do. NVDA is installed and I have had problems. A lot of the time NVDA just doesn’t talk or it responds very very slowly, for example I press tab or down arrow on a website, or on desktop or wherever and after 7-8 seconds it speaks next line or item...
Ideas??

Thank you all so much.

Anna

Jackie

Hello, Anna. I actually just finished working w/1 of those machines,
except the client had the 13in display as opposed to the 15in 1, & it
works splendidly. She absolutely loves it!

I did, however, make a few changes.

First, please ensure that Narrator & NVDA are not running
concurrently, especially if they're both set to use the same voice,
but it really is better to disable Narrator.

2nd, these machines all come w/Mcafee installed. My recommendation is
that you get rid of it ASAP--& install Windows Defender in its place.
You can get a removal tool from:
http://us.mcafee.com/apps/supporttools/mcpr/mcpr.asp
It says to remove it via control panel first, but the uninstaller is
totally inaccessible, & it works to just use it w/o going thru the
hassle of trying to get sighted help.

3rd, the only Lenovo program I left to start up at boot time was the
utility program, & I'm not even sure it's worth that. I didn't
uninstall these programs, but rather set their services to run
manually as opposed to automatically. That way, I can check for
updates if required.

Of course--& this is standard procedure for me every time I set up a
computer for a blind client--I go into Ease of Access Center & click
the link that says "use the computer without a display". This tends to
turn off all unnecessary annimations, etc, but you may wish to check
that they were all turned off by going into the system applet of
control panel & then clicking 'advanced settings' & then
'performance'.

Lastly, be certain you're not using any NVDA addons at this point, &,
if you are, then please disable them & see if that works if these
other measures don't. If that proves to be a problem, then you can try
readding them 1 by 1 until the culprit causes the machine to bog down
again.

HTH. Good luck.

On 3/8/20, Anna Givens <annajee82@...> wrote:
[...]

I just bought the subscription for McAfee, so not wanting to take it off. Why would I need to?
Also, as far as I know Narrator is not running, only NVDA. There’s only one voice that speaks anyway
I don’t know what an add-on is so unless they install when you install NVDA, I don’t have any.
I don’t use my computer with the screen off as I have some vision and watch shows or sometimes look at something like a picture, etc.
So I appreciate your recommendations. But it seems like those things may not work for me.

Thanks for your help.
Anna

On Mar 8, 2020, at 4:30 PM, Jackie <abletec@...> wrote:

[...]

hurrikennyandopo ...

Hi

Some times when stuff like that happens your sound enhancements might be turned on and in most cases turning it off fixes these problems.

I copied and pasted this from my website check to see if it is on then turn it off. this was done on a windows 10 machine 1909 but should be similar in earlier versions?

Disabling sound enhancements in Windows
Sometimes when there is an update for Windows, you may hear a buzzing sound (and other strange noises) from the computer while using NVDA.

If this is the case, you will need to turn off sound enhancements in Windows for your sound card. The steps to turn it off may be similar for other Windows 10 computers.

Press the Windows key, and in the search box type sound settings. When it comes up with this result, press the Enter key. The first option might say Choose your output device Speakers (High Definition Audio Device). Next, tab once to device properties, then press the Enter key. The next screen that comes up will say home. If you tab about 7 times you will then hear NVDA say Additional device properties. Press the enter key.

The next screen should come up with speaker properties. Shift tab back once or twice - until you hear NVDA say General. There are 5 tabs there. Use your right arrow key to get to the enhancements tab, then tab a couple of times until you hear NVDA say Disable all enhancements. This should be a check box. Please note, in some cases, after you tab once (after the enhancements tab) you might need to arrow down or tab to locate the disable all enhancements checkbox. You will hear other stuff for the sound card being spoken out, but they can be left unchecked. You will need to tab to hear the "disable enhancements" checkbox if you arrowed down the list of enhancements and check the checkbox with the Spacebar. You will then need to apply and ok your changes with the Spacebar.

Now, those weird buzzing sounds etcetera should be gone!

Gene nz

On 9/03/2020 8:51 am, Anna Givens wrote:
[...]

Jaffar Sidek

Hi Anna.  The problem with PCs that are branded is that they come to us accompanied with bloatware, software that are supposed to tune up these brands and models to work propperly, which is clearly not the case.  More irritating is that they take up resources that you might need, for example, for our screen readers to work properly.  It is unfortunate that PCs are by default made for the sighted market.  I too have a Lenovo, but what I did after I got the pc was to clean format the pc with a new windows 10 installation, totally clean and without any of the annoying bloatware that we obviously can't access and don't need.  My Lenovo runs smoothly after I took that step.  Give it a try to see if it works for you.  Since NVDA is having so much problem helping you access your pc at this moment, you have nothing to lose anyway.  Cheers!

On 3/9/2020 3:51 AM, Anna Givens wrote:
[...]

Monte Single

I purchased a used hp computer from amazon  about 8 months ago.  The machine had obviously been reformatted and a new copy  of win 10 pro installed;  there was nothing on the computer beside the win 10 installation;  nothing to do with hp.

I never thought I would  have a branded machine I felt good about.

[...]

That's pretty mercinary, Jaffar, lol. I don't quite do that for a
couple reasons. The first is that being able to update one's hardware
is sometimes not only a good idea but necessary. The 2nd is simply
that doing a 2r, ie, reformat & reinstall, is an awful lot of work,
though having thus said, it's easier when you've just gotten a new
machine than after you've had it awhile.

Anna, to answer your question regarding Mcaffee, it's not accessible
w/a screen reader & it tends to slow down computers more than other
solutions, specifically Windows Defender. Beyond that, Windows
Defender is actually rated better than Mcafee in independent tests. &
it's free. I truly wish you hadn't paid for a subscription.

Because Mcafee is owned by Intel now, it always comes bundled w/PC's
having an Intel chipset, but other vendors bundle it as well. I'm sure
there's always some kind of remuneration in place for subscriptions
purchased. When I used to be a Fed, 1 of our favorite sayings, if not
our most favorite 1, was "follow the money."

On 3/8/20, Jaffar Sidek <jaffar.sidek10@...> wrote:
[...]

<x-apple-data-detectors://0>seconds it speaks next line or item...
[...]

I really doubt that bloatware is the cause, or the major cause of this problem.  I'm not advocating removing or not removing it.  But the original message indicates a computer operating so slowly that I wonder if it is defective and should be returned.  Also, in the chat group, Brian Vogel indicated that the processor is much more powerful than any of the uses asked about by the user would warrant.  Maybe not just a return, but saving a good deal of money is in order by exchanging the machine for a much less expensive one.  the original message says something like that when you down arrow or tab, about seven seconds later, you hear the next line being spoken.  If bloatware or anything typical of manufactured computers were slowing the machine down that much and did so for other manufactured machines, the manufacture would either go bankrupt or would have to dramatically change what is put on machines.

The person says that she can see enough to read the screen somewhat.  Can you judge anything about how the computer is functioning when NVDA isn't running?  How about when Narrator is running?  Is the poor performance only seen with NVDA or in tgeneral?

> [...]

>>> a whole to-do list before you even need to think about finding the
>>> nearest outlet to plug into. Power through any task with ease on the
>>> Lenovo IdeaPad 330S.
>>>

>>> *Lenovo Ideapad 330s 15.6" Laptop, Windows 10, AMD Ryzen 5 2500U
>>> Quad-Core Processor, 8GB Memory, 256GB Storage, Platinum Grey -
>>> 81FB00HKUS:*
>>>
>>>   * Operating system: Windows 10
>>>   * Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 2500U Quad-Core Processor
>>>   * Display: 15.6" HD IPS LED Backlit Anti-Glare Display
>>>   * Memory: 8GB DDR4 2400 MHz RAM (4GB OnBoard + 4GB DIMM)
>>>   * Internal storage: 256GB PCIe SSD Storage
>>>   * Graphics: Integrated Radeon Vega 8 Graphics
>>>   * Optical Drive: None
>>>   * Battery Life: Up to 7 Hours
>>>   * Audio: 2 x 2W Speakers with Dolby Audio Premium
>>>   * Wireless: 802.11AC Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 4.1 Combo
>>>   * Webcam: Front-Facing HD Webcam with integrated dual array microphone

>>> Arrow
>>> Specifications

On Sun, Mar 8, 2020 at 05:36 PM, Anna Givens wrote:
I just bought the subscription for McAfee, so not wanting to take it off. Why would I need to?
And if they give you 30 days to turn it back in, my recommendation is that you do.  Over the last several years there have been multiple, and sometimes repeated for a given brand, issues with 3rd party security suites and Windows 10.  Windows Defender, as implemented under Windows 8 and 10, lands in the top tier of security suites consistently, and is more than just adequate protection.

       ~ Madonna

Even though I doubt that bloatware is at all a factor, I am a big believer in Doing a Completely Clean (Re)install of Windows 10 Using Media Creation Tool to Fetch the Win10 ISO File or, if you prefer, Doing a Completely Clean (Re)install of Windows 10 Using Media Creation Tool to Create Bootable Win10 Install Media on a USB Thumb Drive.

It gets the cleanest instance of Windows 10 available, as well as the most recent one.

I will generally then reinstall the OEM's "service station" type utility, e.g., HP Support Assistant, afterward, as these are genuinely helpful in keeping your drivers and BIOS/UEFI up to date.

       ~ Madonna

Gene

But in this case, would that violate the warranty in case there is something wrong with the machine?  the description doesn't sound like any performance variations that would be expected if the machine is working properly.

Sent: Sunday, March 08, 2020 6:52 PM

On Sun, Mar 8, 2020 at 08:01 PM, Gene wrote:
But in this case, would that violate the warranty in case there is something wrong with the machine?
I can't speak to that.  Some it would, some it wouldn't.

In any case, for about the first 30 days (give or take) I rely upon the retailer taking a return for a defective machine.

When I originally suggested this be taken here to the NVDA main forum, the information available made it sound like the crankiness was limited to NVDA.  If it's broader than just NVDA, that's really pointing to something else entirely.

       ~ Madonna

Jackie

Well, of course, 1 way to confirm or negate NVDA's role in all of this
is to not let it start up automatically & use Narrator instead.

The voice used does have an impact on the machine's responsiveness,
w/voices like Eloquence or ESpeak being considerably snappier than
1core or most other SAPI5 voices.

I'm just wondering if there's a chance that Windows Defender & Mcafee
are trying to run at the same time, which can *really* bugger up the
works totally.

On Sun, Mar 8, 2020 at 08:01 PM, Gene wrote:

But in this case, would that violate the warranty in case there is
something wrong with the machine?
I can't speak to that.  Some it would, some it wouldn't.

In any case, for about the first 30 days (give or take) I rely upon the
retailer taking a return for a defective machine.

When I originally suggested this be taken here to the NVDA main forum, the
information available made it sound like the crankiness was limited to
NVDA.  If it's broader than just NVDA, that's really pointing to something
else entirely.

*Power is being told you're not loved and not being destroyed by it.*

~ Madonna

Anna Givens

I appreciate all the suggestions. But I don’t want to do all these things. I bought a new computer and there’s nothing I have done or anything that’a on here that would warrant this extreme sluggishness. I have had multiple computers before and used them in the same way and used them just fine. I simply need it to work, not to reformat things and change things. Can someone suggest who to call or where to take it? It’s Lenovo, it uses Windows, and I got it from Walmart. So I don’t know who to talk to.
I don’t know if it only has problems when running NVDA, I can’t tell, and nobody around to help me figure that out. It did have issues when running narrator when I first got it though. I know that. Although I don’t know if it was because of narrator or had anything to do with it at all.

Anna

On Mar 8, 2020, at 8:14 PM, Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:

On Sun, Mar 8, 2020 at 08:01 PM, Gene wrote:
But in this case, would that violate the warranty in case there is something wrong with the machine?
I can't speak to that.  Some it would, some it wouldn't.

In any case, for about the first 30 days (give or take) I rely upon the retailer taking a return for a defective machine.

When I originally suggested this be taken here to the NVDA main forum, the information available made it sound like the crankiness was limited to NVDA.  If it's broader than just NVDA, that's really pointing to something else entirely.

       ~ Madonna

On Sun, Mar 8, 2020 at 08:54 PM, Anna Givens wrote:
and I got it from Walmart.
Then I would return it, promptly, as they have one of the best "no questions asked" return policies on computers.  Get another if this is a model that appeals to you.  No new machine should be giving you this kind of problem.

Also, there is no easy fix, period, for this sort of thing and trying to find one would require a lot of effort on your part as well as that of potential assistants.

You should not have a brand new machine behaving in this way, period.

       ~ Madonna

Tony Ballou

Hi Anna,

Welcome aboard! Unfortunately I do not have a solution for your problem.   But I can tell you that this may be due to a bug of some sort.  it has yet to be pinpointed because as everybody knows, in releases windows 10 updates seem to throw either systems out of wack or NVDA for a loop.  So my guess would probably be that it's something crazy in the operating system that's making things nuts.  I've seen a couple of random  reports come through sighting sluggishness with the latest version of NVDA which is 2019 3.1 on some systems, so you're not alone. I had a similar problem with my desktop, which after recently having some work done on it, the sluggish behavior seems to have been resolved for now.

Trust me, if the bug is in NVDA it's being worked on, if it's in windows 10 unless there's a national outcry from the digital gods and goddesses, it's not.

Tony

On Mon, Mar 9, 2020 at 12:07 PM, Tony Ballou wrote:
So my guess would probably be that it's something crazy in the operating system that's making things nuts.
If this were the case then the issue would be virtually universal, but it's not, and it's not even close.  There definitely appears to be something afoot with NVDA and a small subset of machines running Windows 10, but it's not even clear whether it's for the same Version and Build of Windows 10.

Until and unless the problem were to become far more widespread, and were to be on a single Version of Windows 10, the probability of it being a global issue with the operating system is very, very small.

But I come back to the fact that no new machine should be exhibiting sluggishness and peculiar behaviors with an array of programs, and from what's been offered so far that seems to be the case.  In those circumstances, if you're within your window allowing returns of the hardware, that's the wisest course of action.  There are lemons in the computer world just like in the automotive world and if you have the opportunity to get rid of one it's far preferable to trying to "make lemonade."

       ~ Madonna

Kevin Cussick

Hi, I use to go out to fix computers for RNIB, my heart sinks when I hear about this Av Product. if You can get a a refund and get rid it used to be hard to remove as well. good luck.

On 08/03/2020 23:48, Brian Vogel wrote:
On Sun, Mar 8, 2020 at 05:36 PM, Anna Givens wrote:
I just bought the subscription for McAfee, so not wanting to take it
off. Why would I need to?
And if they give you 30 days to turn it back in, my recommendation is that you do.  Over the last several years there have been multiple, and sometimes repeated for a given brand, issues with 3rd party security suites and Windows 10.  Windows Defender, as implemented under Windows 8 and 10, lands in the top tier of security suites consistently, and is more than just adequate protection.
*Power is being told you're not loved and not being destroyed by it.*
       ~ Madonna

Mcafee and norton can be good products at least they are supposed to.

But like avast it comes with everything.

Usually when I get a system to service, if its slow and I find mcafee the first thing I do is reformat and reinstall fresh, its the only way to get rid of it completely.

I havn't had a good luck with things like this.

With all the false alarms about, sadly the features the blind need are.

1.  its accessible and 2.  its easy to exclude things.

If it by chance is good at scanning and removing threats its a bonus, however I have a hard job making these programs leave me alone.

On 10/03/2020 10:38 am, Kevin Cussick via Groups.Io wrote:
[...]

Well now this explains plenty, sigh. This is one of the more notorious AV products and unfortunately not in a good way. The only real way to uninstall this is to delete the registry key associated with McAfee. Things may have changed in recent years.   I've successfully done it, but I don['t recommend that anyone mess around in the registry unless they are totally sure of what they are doing.

Tony