Topics

new member to the group.

Jim Rawls

Hi all, I currently use jaws 18, and think it’s about time I learn how to use NVDA.

It looks hard to use, but hope it isn’t. so any ideas you can pass along will be greatly appreciated. Jim

Jim,

          If you are already a JAWS user I believe you'll find NVDA very easy to use, as there are many, many commands that overlap.  There are some that don't, and getting those clear in your mind can take a bit.

          My introduction to NVDA was through using it as a surrogate for JAWS when I was tutoring JAWS.  The Virginia Department for the Blind and Visually Impaired was not about to buy me a license, and often my testing and digging required more than 40 minutes, so I started using NVDA when I wanted to do certain things "at my leisure."

           While the transition is not absolutely seamless, it's really not all that difficult, either.

      ~ Anton Chekhov

Gene

What makesit look hard to use. A good deal of what a lot of users do involves Windows and program commands. You can do quite a bit if you use a different screen-reader even if you know nothing about the screen-reader except for a few commands like read title bar.

As far ass an introduction to NVDA as a JAWS user is concerned, see this page:
https://gttprogram.blog/2018/12/20/switching-from-jaws-to-nvda-nvaccess-nvda-community-wiki-%C2%B7-github/

Hi all, I currently use jaws 18, and think it’s about time I learn how to use NVDA.

It looks hard to use, but hope it isn’t. so any ideas you can pass along will be greatly appreciated. Jim

Quentin Christensen

Gene,

Where did you find that link?  I hadn't come across that site before, and its link to the original article is wrong.

The current Switching from Jaws to NVDA guide is here: https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda-community/wiki/SwitchingFromJawsToNVDA and has been updated since that other page was posted.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Gene

I found a correct link by a Google search.  I tested it before I sent it.  It may be that I didn't copy the correct link or that for some reason, the link was the incorrect one because the new link wasn't copied when I issued the command.

Hi all, I currently use jaws 18, and think it’s about time I learn how to
use NVDA.

It looks hard to use, but hope it isn’t. so any ideas you can pass along
will be greatly appreciated. Jim

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Gene

I just tried the link and it works.  this appears to be a case where the link may need to be pasted into the browser's address field and not just clicked on.  That's how I tested it now, by pasting it.

I test links before I send them if I find them in searches and this one worked when I tested it by clicking on it as a Google result.  However, based on what you say, I suspect the actual page presents a newer version.

Hi all, I currently use jaws 18, and think it’s about time I learn how to
use NVDA.

It looks hard to use, but hope it isn’t. so any ideas you can pass along
will be greatly appreciated. Jim

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Quentin Christensen

Sorry, what I meant to say was the page you linked to comes up, but it's not the official page.  One of the first things on the page is a link to the original document they borrowed, but it's an old link which doesn't work.  The page you linked to is dated 2018, so I was suggesting using the official page at: https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda-community/wiki/SwitchingFromJawsToNVDA which is likely more up to date.

Quentin.

On Mon, Feb 22, 2021 at 7:39 PM Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
[...]

I didn't pay enough attention when I found the link.  I read a little of the file and it looked as though it was fine, but I should have looked for the official page because it might be newer and indeed, you said it is.