From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Robert Kingett
Sent: Saturday, March 14, 2020 7:48 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] New NV Speech player release.

Thank computers for RSS feeds! Anyway, the below link just flew into my inbox so I wanted to share. It's a speech synthesizer that's actually legal, LOL! And is an alternative to eSpeak. Yes, before the messages fly in, I'm well aware there's other legal synthesizers. Anyway, I'm far too busy writing screen readers into my novel so click the link below and read the description yourself. Chao!

https://addons.nvda-project.org/addons/nvSpeechPlayer.en.html

Thanks for reading! Even though my Patreon is paused you should still be able to access draft chapters and draft stories.

Hmmm yeah, have fun with that.

I did muck about with it a little.

Its a prototype from 2014.

For those expecting greatness it aint eloquence or dectalk.

If you use espeak ng, then this is well it was good for its time.

But its not been updated since 2014 so it shows its age and not in a good way.

You can adjust it so it sounds completely crappy.

I don't know how  the  values all work but you in theory could make it sound like an alien or like one of the old talking clocks if you care to.

Right now it can be described as a good start on a speech synth prototype.

But in my opinion, its to crappy to really concidder using.

Saying that, now its finally updated for compatability I encourage its continued development.

Firstly, I'd like it to use the espeak ng synth or at least its data since its clearly superior to it.

After that, I'd like it to continue its own way and see how far we can push the envelope.

I still like the idea of a borg synth or dalec or well any sort of scifi robot type deal cylon maybe?

I mean they did a lot of this sort of stuff on macos7 because I saw and listened to demos being done with some tools and mac had speech back then and this was back in 2001 which sounded as good as the modern stuff so I know its possible.