Topics

New NVDA

Robert Doc Wright godfearer

I just discovered that I cannot use the upgrade with Outlook Express. When I open an email I can only tab around. I cannot read what is there nor if I press ctrl+r to reply I cannot type.
******
Jesus says, follow me and I'll help you through the rough spots.
the world says, hey come with me. My way is broad and easy. So what if you get crap on your shoes. You can always wash it off, can't you!

Family times where there is fun for every ear!

Or ask your A device to play Family times on tuneIn
You can also find us on your mobile device install OoTunes and search for Family times

On Wed, Oct 14, 2020 at 06:21 PM, Robert Doc Wright godfearer wrote:
I just discovered that I cannot use the upgrade with Outlook Express.
-
Although this is definitely useful information to have shared, it should hardly be surprising.  Outlook Express has been out of support for many years now.  There is going to be no attempt, years after something goes out of support, for any contemporary software (NVDA, in this case) to maintain backward compatibility with it.

And, before this starts a firestorm about Outlook Express and the love for it and the demand that it should be able to be used, I refer you to the group rule:

The discussion of software on the NVDA Group is limited to software currently in support.  Depending on the type of software, specific version numbers will change with time.  Users are expected to know what remains in support and what has been dropped, and announcements will be made to this group when new versions of NVDA are released. It should be assumed that, when a new version of software is released, primary discussion will take place on that version, not versions of software which are years old.

Outlook Express is no longer currently in support, so it will not be a valid topic for discussion on this group.

     ~ Kelley Boorn

Gene

I don't know why that is. If you can still use an older version, there will, I'm sure, be no solution forthcoming, unless someone wants to create an add-on, if an add-on can solve the problem.

Outlook Express has not been supported since whenever Windows XP went out of support. I think that was roughly six years ago.

You may have to do something like use a portable version of an earlier NVDA for Outlook Express and switch to the installed version for general work if you want to use this version as your general version.

I just discovered that I cannot use the upgrade with Outlook Express. When I open an email I can only tab around. I cannot read what is there nor if I press ctrl+r to reply I cannot type.
******
Jesus says, follow me and I'll help you through the rough spots.
the world says, hey come with me. My way is broad and easy. So what if you get crap on your shoes. You can always wash it off, can't you!

Family times where there is fun for every ear!

Or ask your A device to play Family times on tuneIn
You can also find us on your mobile device install OoTunes and search for Family times

Gene

Also, have you rebooted since upgrading?

I just discovered that I cannot use the upgrade with Outlook Express. When I
open an email I can only tab around. I cannot read what is there nor if I
press ctrl+r to reply I cannot type.
******
Jesus says, follow me and I'll help you through the rough spots.
the world says, hey come with me. My way is broad and easy. So what if you
get crap on your shoes. You can always wash it off, can't you!

Family times where there is fun for every ear!

Or ask your A device to play Family times on tuneIn
You can also find us on your mobile device install OoTunes and search for
Family times

Quentin Christensen

+1 to what Gene said - try rebooting, and then do let us know if it works or not.  While Outlook Express is quite old, I'm not aware of having specifically broken support for it.

Kind regards

Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen