From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Quentin Christensen
Sent: Tuesday, October 12, 2021 7:13 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] New NVDA Story: Open source opens the way

Hi everyone,

Today, we're sharing Jacques' story from South Africa. It highlights the security of NVDA, and the importance of Open Source software in business. Plus, what is the difference between a digital signature & a digital certificate? Find out here: https://www.nvaccess.org/post/open-source-opens-the-way/ #OpenSource

Quentin.

--

Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Quentin Christensen

Great Sky!

Let us know if we can help - info@....

Quentin.

On Wed, Oct 13, 2021 at 1:41 PM Sky Mundell <skyt@...> wrote:

Hello. I just looked at the story, and it is so brilliant. I’m certainly going to try and do this in Canada

Today, we're sharing Jacques' story from South Africa. It highlights the security of NVDA, and the importance of Open Source software in business. Plus, what is the difference between a digital signature & a digital certificate? Find out here: https://www.nvaccess.org/post/open-source-opens-the-way/ #OpenSource

Quentin.

--

Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Sky Mundell

Yes and at the training center I teach in in Canada we have NVDA on the computers and it runs great!

Hello. I just looked at the story, and it is so brilliant. I’m certainly going to try and do this in Canada

Today, we're sharing Jacques' story from South Africa. It highlights the security of NVDA, and the importance of Open Source software in business. Plus, what is the difference between a digital signature & a digital certificate? Find out here: https://www.nvaccess.org/post/open-source-opens-the-way/ #OpenSource

Quentin.

--

Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

--

Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Jacob Kruger

I've also been promoting NVDA to an organisation here in South Africa that provides work skills training to blind/VI guys, including putting together a small, informal form of global add-on myself to help them get started, but, has taken a bit of time to get the organisers to "open their eyes" to alternatives to what they had been aware of...LOL!

Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker
Skype: BlindZA

On 2021-10-13 06:00 AM, Sky Mundell wrote:

Yes and at the training center I teach in in Canada we have NVDA on the computers and it runs great!

Hello. I just looked at the story, and it is so brilliant. I’m certainly going to try and do this in Canada

Today, we're sharing Jacques' story from South Africa. It highlights the security of NVDA, and the importance of Open Source software in business. Plus, what is the difference between a digital signature & a digital certificate? Find out here: https://www.nvaccess.org/post/open-source-opens-the-way/ #OpenSource

Quentin.

--

Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

--

Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Jujube

Another really important benefit of open source  software, especially screen readers, is internationalization and language support, and I think this is often overlooked. One major disadvantage of commercial screen readers is that they tend to only support the languages that the manufacturer is able/willing to support. This means that commercial screen readers are pretty much a no go if they don't work properly in your language. (Narrator and mobile screen readers are better at internationalization than commercial screen readers due to being built directly into the operating system). The open source nature of NVDA means that it can easily be used by people anywhere in the world, and developers and translators around the world can ensure that NVDA is fully functional in their language. For instance, NVDA has significantly better support for Mandarin input methods than JAWS, and this is I'm sure thanks to Chinese users and developers that have helped add those functionalities to NVDA. I'm sure that would not happen at all with commercial screen readers. Sure, JAWS comes bundled with speech synths and braille tables for numerous languages, and while just having the right speech synths and braille tables can be enough to fully read and write in a number of other languages other than English, JAWS does not seem to work well with Asian language input methods. If I were ever going to have a job that involves typing in Asian languages, then I pretty much have no choice but to use NVDA.

Anyway, this was a long rant, but I really do think internationalization and language support is a significant selling point for NVDA.

On Oct 12, 2021, at 7:13 PM, Quentin Christensen <quentin@...> wrote:

Hi everyone,

Today, we're sharing Jacques' story from South Africa. It highlights the security of NVDA, and the importance of Open Source software in business. Plus, what is the difference between a digital signature & a digital certificate? Find out here: https://www.nvaccess.org/post/open-source-opens-the-way/ #OpenSource

Quentin.
--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Quentin Christensen

Good point Jujube re Internationalisation and translating!

And Jacob, you might be interested in the story I posted today on a firm in South Africa: https://www.nvaccess.org/post/open-source-opens-the-way/

On Wed, Oct 13, 2021 at 6:18 PM Jujube <ellaxyu@...> wrote:
[...]

*makes mental note to note the forum and topic he is replying to next time before promoting the article to someone... which was the article which started this thread....*

Sorry!

On Wed, Oct 13, 2021 at 6:40 PM Quentin Christensen via groups.io <quentin=nvaccess.org@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Quentin, no worries - and, yes, me and Jacques are in regular direct communication on various topics, including this effort of his. 😉

Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker
Skype: BlindZA

On 2021-10-13 09:42 AM, Quentin Christensen wrote:
[...]

Ah it's a great community we have (both for forgiving my embarrassing mistake, and for keeping in touch with each other!)

On 2021-10-13 09:42 AM, Quentin Christensen wrote:
[...]

Janet Brandly

Please share this on the NVDA Facebook page. That way we can share it easily. I am very impressed with all the work NVDA developers and others do to keep this software free and accessible world wide. Let’s get the story out there.

Janet

Today, we're sharing Jacques' story from South Africa. It highlights the security of NVDA, and the importance of Open Source software in business. Plus, what is the difference between a digital signature & a digital certificate? Find out here: https://www.nvaccess.org/post/open-source-opens-the-way/ #OpenSource

Quentin.

--

Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Jujube

Hello Janet, If you look up NV Access facebook page, it is already posted there :)

Quentin Christensen

As Jujube noted, it is up on our Facebook page.  It is often tricky to find things in any kind of order on Facebook, so here's a direct link to the post: https://www.facebook.com/NVAccess/posts/4583978535001800

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Thu, Oct 14, 2021 at 7:20 AM Jujube <ellaxyu@...> wrote:
Hello Janet, If you look up NV Access facebook page, it is already posted there :)

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

hi quentin.
i really love nvda screen reader.
pray for you always
and request divine especial mercy and blessings for you.
i believe that nvda screen reader if not only for blind users.
i encourage it even for sighted users!
i am very glad that a sighted person in Iran,
started to use nvda,
and always uses nvda screen reader!
i wish that all sighted people do this.
i really wish that nvda be in the world and become better,
even if one day comes that all blind people become fully sighted!

On 10/13/21, Quentin Christensen <quentin@nvaccess.org> wrote:
Hi everyone,

Today, we're sharing Jacques' story from South Africa. It highlights the
security of NVDA, and the importance of Open Source software in business.
Plus, what is the difference between a digital signature & a digital
certificate? Find out here:
https://www.nvaccess.org/post/open-source-opens-the-way/ #OpenSource

Quentin.
--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Web: www.nvaccess.org

By God,
were I given all the seven heavens
with all they contain
in order that
I may disobey God
by depriving an ant
from the husk of a grain of barley,
I would not do it.
imam ali

Quentin Christensen

Thank you Zahra!

--
By God,
were I given all the seven heavens
with all they contain
in order that
I may disobey God
by depriving an ant
from the husk of a grain of barley,
I would not do it.
imam ali

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Janet Brandly

Thank you. I will try to find it and share it out later today,