new subscriber with braille display issues

Brett Boyer

Hi. It seems that my list of Braille displays is missing several displays. Including my HumanWare displays. I have tried googling around but I haven’t found anything that has helped.

I have tried removing NVDA a few times. Deleted my app data folder, and did a registry clean from C cleaner.

I don’t know if I have something corrupt. When I go to the help submenu to update nvda I get an error.

Any help would be appreciated.

bb

Brett,

I cannot speak to your issue with Braille displays, but I can about the NVDA update error.

There is a problem with NVDA updating that has a workaround, but at this point I wouldn't even suggest doing that.  The issue is fixed in NVDA 2021.3, and at this juncture its worth installing NVDA 2021.3beta2, as it seems to be working well and will likely soon transition to release candidate status.  Even if you end up having problems, you can reinstall 2021.2, but the issue with updates will remain fixed since the fix involves something NVDA accesses, that gets tweaked by the beta installer, but doesn't get rolled back if you go back to NVDA 2021.2

Who knows, it may even help with the braille display issue.

         ~ John F. Kennedy

Brett Boyer

Thanks. I didn’t know if the error was related to my issue or not. Apparently, it was a coincidence.

I did download and install the Beta but I’m still having the same limited braille display list.

Thanks for the suggestion

bb

I cannot speak to your issue with Braille displays, but I can about the NVDA update error.

There is a problem with NVDA updating that has a workaround, but at this point I wouldn't even suggest doing that.  The issue is fixed in NVDA 2021.3, and at this juncture its worth installing NVDA 2021.3beta2, as it seems to be working well and will likely soon transition to release candidate status.  Even if you end up having problems, you can reinstall 2021.2, but the issue with updates will remain fixed since the fix involves something NVDA accesses, that gets tweaked by the beta installer, but doesn't get rolled back if you go back to NVDA 2021.2

Who knows, it may even help with the braille display issue.

         ~ John F. Kennedy

Jujube

Hello, I'm not sure about your second question, but are you able to connect your braille display at all? Can you try setting your display to automatic and try pairing?

On Nov 12, 2021, at 9:08 PM, Brett Boyer <bboyer202@...> wrote:

Hi. It seems that my list of Braille displays is missing several displays. Including my HumanWare displays. I have tried googling around but I haven’t found anything that has helped.

I have tried removing NVDA a few times. Deleted my app data folder, and did a registry clean from C cleaner.

I don’t know if I have something corrupt. When I go to the help submenu to update nvda I get an error.

Any help would be appreciated.

bb

What version of NVDA are you running?

On 11/13/2021 12:06 AM, Brett Boyer wrote:

Hi. It seems that my list of Braille displays is missing several displays. Including my HumanWare displays. I have tried googling around but I haven’t found anything that has helped.

I have tried removing NVDA a few times. Deleted my app data folder, and did a registry clean from C cleaner.

I don’t know if I have something corrupt. When I go to the help submenu to update nvda I get an error.

Any help would be appreciated.

bb

Brett Boyer

Now I’m running the beta that was suggested. I originally had the public release.

On 11/13/2021 12:06 AM, Brett Boyer wrote:

Hi. It seems that my list of Braille displays is missing several displays. Including my HumanWare displays. I have tried googling around but I haven’t found anything that has helped.

I have tried removing NVDA a few times. Deleted my app data folder, and did a registry clean from C cleaner.

I don’t know if I have something corrupt. When I go to the help submenu to update nvda I get an error.

Any help would be appreciated.

bb

Things working as they should now?

On 11/13/2021 1:32 AM, Brett Boyer wrote:

Now I’m running the beta that was suggested. I originally had the public release.

On 11/13/2021 12:06 AM, Brett Boyer wrote:

Hi. It seems that my list of Braille displays is missing several displays. Including my HumanWare displays. I have tried googling around but I haven’t found anything that has helped.

I have tried removing NVDA a few times. Deleted my app data folder, and did a registry clean from C cleaner.

I don’t know if I have something corrupt. When I go to the help submenu to update nvda I get an error.

Any help would be appreciated.

bb

Brett Boyer

No, same problem.

I’m only seeing a limited list of displays, I’m sure there are a lot more including human ware which I know longer see.

bb

On 11/13/2021 1:32 AM, Brett Boyer wrote:

Now I’m running the beta that was suggested. I originally had the public release.

On 11/13/2021 12:06 AM, Brett Boyer wrote:

Hi. It seems that my list of Braille displays is missing several displays. Including my HumanWare displays. I have tried googling around but I haven’t found anything that has helped.

I have tried removing NVDA a few times. Deleted my app data folder, and did a registry clean from C cleaner.

I don’t know if I have something corrupt. When I go to the help submenu to update nvda I get an error.

Any help would be appreciated.

bb

I wish I could help you more. I hope someone else comes along and can give you more assistance than I am able.

On 11/13/2021 2:00 AM, Brett Boyer wrote:

No, same problem.

I’m only seeing a limited list of displays, I’m sure there are a lot more including human ware which I know longer see.

bb

On 11/13/2021 1:32 AM, Brett Boyer wrote:

Now I’m running the beta that was suggested. I originally had the public release.

On 11/13/2021 12:06 AM, Brett Boyer wrote:

Hi. It seems that my list of Braille displays is missing several displays. Including my HumanWare displays. I have tried googling around but I haven’t found anything that has helped.

I have tried removing NVDA a few times. Deleted my app data folder, and did a registry clean from C cleaner.

I don’t know if I have something corrupt. When I go to the help submenu to update nvda I get an error.

Any help would be appreciated.

bb

Firstly what are your displays.

Secondly, if you run a portable of the new nvda beta check for updates then rerun the older version it should fix it.

There is an python console import command and an addon but others may have the information, its round 8 pm and I am to lazy to look for all that but its somewhere in the archive I think.

From my cloud file backup the instructions are the following.

nvda root certs issue
From python console, nvda shift z paste.
import updateCheck; updateCheck._updateWindowsRootCertificates()

If you paste that import line in that will fix it.

Its got to do with expired certs and other complex things I forgot its fixed in latest betas of nvda.

Do you have drivers for all your displays and are they installed.

If neither of those work or they are to old, if you install brltty and all the usb libraries and run all displays in brltty mode or open braille mode I think its going to at least work.

I haven't much experience but the local university gave me an orbit 20 to test.

And the only way I was able to get it working at that stage was in brltty mode though I did use the native driver.

On 13/11/2021 6:06 pm, Brett Boyer wrote:

Hi. It seems that my list of Braille displays is missing several displays. Including my HumanWare displays. I have tried googling around but I haven’t found anything that has helped.

I have tried removing NVDA a few times. Deleted my app data folder, and did a registry clean from C cleaner.

I don’t know if I have something corrupt. When I go to the help submenu to update nvda I get an error.

Any help would be appreciated.

bb

cisco

Hello there,

These might be a few questions and suggestions that might help you:

  • Have you been using NVDA for long? If so, did this issue appear in 2021.2? or, have you just installed 2021.2 for the first time and got this error?
  • Have you installed the drivers relating to Humanware displays? I don’t know if there are any, but installing drivers might help your issue.

Hope these two things help.

Best regards.

Francisco.

Hi. It seems that my list of Braille displays is missing several displays. Including my HumanWare displays. I have tried googling around but I haven’t found anything that has helped.

I have tried removing NVDA a few times. Deleted my app data folder, and did a registry clean from C cleaner.

I don’t know if I have something corrupt. When I go to the help submenu to update nvda I get an error.

Any help would be appreciated.

bb

Felix G.

Hello,
have you tried restarting NVDA with addons disabled? An addon might
interfere with the procedure of assembling your list of Braille
display drivers.
Are we talking about the list that you get when pressing NVDA+CTRL+a?
Best,
Felix

Am Sa., 13. Nov. 2021 um 08:18 Uhr schrieb cisco <audiogamer2004@gmail.com>:

[...]

Gene

Did you reboot since this problem started?  As with other odd problems with no known solution, rebooting is one of the first things to try.

On 11/13/2021 1:32 AM, Brett Boyer wrote:

Now I’m running the beta that was suggested. I originally had the public release.

On 11/13/2021 12:06 AM, Brett Boyer wrote:

Hi. It seems that my list of Braille displays is missing several displays. Including my HumanWare displays. I have tried googling around but I haven’t found anything that has helped.

I have tried removing NVDA a few times. Deleted my app data folder, and did a registry clean from C cleaner.

I don’t know if I have something corrupt. When I go to the help submenu to update nvda I get an error.

Any help would be appreciated.

bb

Blake Roberts <BEarlRoberts@...>

Brett,
What HumanWare braille displays do you have? You could have a Brailliant BI as I do, but I don't want to assume.

If your HumanWare display is a Brailliant BI, have you tried resetting the device by holding down the power button on the Brailliant for 10 seconds? In the device settings (the settings on the braille display itself, not NVDA), is the protocol set to HumanWare or OpenBraille? I would suggest trying to switch protocols on your braille display and/or resetting the device. Then see if NVDA can detect it.

Blake

Eduardo Fermiano Luccas

here are all the options that are on my braily lines list! note that they will be in brazilian portuguese, but i hope it helps

brlttyhedo MobilLine USBhedo ProfiLine USBHIMS séries Braille Sense/Braille EDGE/Smart Beetle/Sync BrailleHumanWare BrailleNoteHumanWare Brailliant série BI/B / BrailleNote TouchLinhas braille Baum/HumanWare/APH/OrbitLinhas braille Handy TechLinhas braille SeikaLinhas EcoBrailleLinhas Eurobraille Esys/Esytime/IrisMDV LilliModelos mais antigos da linha Papenmeier BRAILLEXModelos mais recentes da Papenmeier BRAILLEXNattiq nBrailleSeika NotetakerSuperBraille

note that I don't use braily, I just copied the default list that comes up when I press CTRL+NVDA+a

Em sáb., 13 de nov. de 2021 às 09:50, Blake Roberts via groups.io <BEarlRoberts=aol.com@groups.io> escreveu:

Brett,
What HumanWare braille displays do you have? You could have a Brailliant BI as I do, but I don't want to assume.

If your HumanWare display is a Brailliant BI, have you tried resetting the device by holding down the power button on the Brailliant for 10 seconds? In the device settings (the settings on the braille display itself, not NVDA), is the protocol set to HumanWare or OpenBraille? I would suggest trying to switch protocols on your braille display and/or resetting the device. Then see if NVDA can detect it.

Blake

Brett Boyer

Ok to answer some of the questions.
I have rebooted several times. I have uninstalled several times. I have deleted my nvda folder under the app data. I have ran C cleaner and cleaned my registry after uninstalling NVDA.
I have used the run comm registration tool.
I have searched for braille note touch drivers for NVDA and haven't found anything that wasn't at least 3 years old or so.
I have a Braille Note Touch plus and I'm trying to use the USB connection. The autodetect has been tried several times.
Not sure if I have answered all of the questions. Hopefully you guys have some more ideas because I'm still seeing a basic list of braille displays.
Eco hito mdv lilly, papenmire seka, and no braille.
Thanks again for all of the help
bb

Hi. It seems that my list of Braille displays is missing several displays. Including my HumanWare displays. I have tried googling around but I haven’t found anything that has helped.

I have tried removing NVDA a few times. Deleted my app data folder, and did a registry clean from C cleaner.

I don’t know if I have something corrupt. When I go to the help submenu to update nvda I get an error.

Any help would be appreciated.

bb

Hi,

I see. Humanware does have a page with a download link for the braille display driver: https://support.humanware.com/en-canada/support/braillenote_touch/using_your_braillenote_touch_as_a_braille_display

Basically, you would:

  1. Install the braille terminal driver from the site I linked above (although it says BrailleNote Touch, it is applicable to Touch Plus as well). You should install just the USB driver, not the JAWS driver.
  2. After the driver is installed, from Touch Plus, go to main menu (Home key), select Braille Terminal, then choose USB. Touch Plus will say, "Braille Terminal: USB".
  3. Connect the Touch Plus to the computer using the provided USB-C charging cable.
  4. Wait for Windows to finish installing Touch Plus.
  5. On the computer, press Control+NVDA+A to open braille display dialog, at which point you should see a HumanWare entry. You can use that entry or choose "automatic" to let NVDA detect the Touch Plus.

If things went well, you will see the contents of the screen on the braille display.

IMPORTANT: if you connect the Touch Plus without starting Braille Terminal, Windows will recognize Touch Plus as an Android device.

In case you didn't know, there is a dedicated list for BrailleNote users on Groups.IO where folks do discuss braille display connection questions from time to time: https://groups.io/g/braillenote

Cheers,

Joseph

Brett Boyer

As always, I appreciate everything you do! Thank you for such an informative message. I will try this as soon as I get to my workstation. But, it sounds like that will fix my problem. I still remember seeing a lot longer of a list in NVDA recently. And, the braille note touch was part of that list. Still not sure what happened… But if this works, I guess it doesn’t matter.
Again, thank you for everything you do! You have always been so helpful.

On Nov 14, 2021, at 8:40 AM, Joseph Lee <joseph.lee22590@...> wrote:

[...]

Tracy <tracy.mousseau@...>

Your welcome.

Tracy

On 2021-11-14 11:56 a.m., Brett Boyer wrote:
[...]

Hi. I have taken all of these steps and nothing has changed. HumanWare is not in the list of Braille displays even after installing the drivers. I think there is something wrong with my copy of NVDA or my PC is doing something weird with the system files. I have never had to install braille note drivers on other computers running NVDA.

Not in the last year or so.

So strange…

bb