Topics

News – NV Access - NVDA 2020.3 Released #nvaccessnewsfeed

nvda@nvda.groups.io Integration <nvda@...>

NVDA 2020.3 Released

By NV Access

NV Access is pleased to announce that version 2020.3 of NVDA, the free screen reader for Microsoft Windows, is now available for download. We encourage all users to upgrade to this version.

NVDA 2020.3 includes several large improvements to stability and performance, particularly in Microsoft Office applications. There are new settings to toggle touchscreen support and graphics reporting. The existence of marked (highlighted) content can be reported in browsers, and there are new German braille tables.

Please note, after updating any software, it is a good idea to restart the computer. Restart by going to the Shutdown dialog, selecting “restart” and pressing ENTER. Updating software can change files which are in use. This can lead to instability and strange behaviour which is resolved by rebooting. This is the first thing to try if you do notice anything odd after updating.

While downloading NVDA, please consider becoming a monthly donor. Contributions like yours help NV Access continue our important work.

We also have a range of training material in the NV Access Shop to help you increase your skills with NVDA. Start with the popular Basic Training for NVDA in electronic text, audio and braille. Save with the NVDA Productivity Bundle. This includes Basic Training, all our Microsoft Office training, and telephone support.

Download NVDA 2020.3

To find out what’s new in this release, please visit What’s new in NVDA 2020.3

Close-up photograph of NVDA logo in notification area.

Sharni-Lee Ward

Just updated! Everything is so so much more responsive now! It responds to my typing faster than it used to in older versions before the update to Python 3!

I've only noticed one thing so far, and it's not necessarily a bad thing either, just something new to adjust to. The pauses after periods are shorter. Sentences feel closer together than they did before when reading. Again, this is something I could become accustomed to with time, and isn't necessarily a problem. I do like the snappy response time very much. :)  

On 14/10/2020 1:13 am, nvda@nvda.groups.io Integration wrote:

NVDA 2020.3 Released

By NV Access

NV Access is pleased to announce that version 2020.3 of NVDA, the free screen reader for Microsoft Windows, is now available for download. We encourage all users to upgrade to this version.

NVDA 2020.3 includes several large improvements to stability and performance, particularly in Microsoft Office applications. There are new settings to toggle touchscreen support and graphics reporting. The existence of marked (highlighted) content can be reported in browsers, and there are new German braille tables.

Please note, after updating any software, it is a good idea to restart the computer. Restart by going to the Shutdown dialog, selecting “restart” and pressing ENTER. Updating software can change files which are in use. This can lead to instability and strange behaviour which is resolved by rebooting. This is the first thing to try if you do notice anything odd after updating.

While downloading NVDA, please consider becoming a monthly donor. Contributions like yours help NV Access continue our important work.

We also have a range of training material in the NV Access Shop to help you increase your skills with NVDA. Start with the popular Basic Training for NVDA in electronic text, audio and braille. Save with the NVDA Productivity Bundle. This includes Basic Training, all our Microsoft Office training, and telephone support.

Download NVDA 2020.3

Rosemarie Chavarria

It's working great here too. I love the snappy response too.

On 10/13/2020 9:35 AM, Sharni-Lee Ward wrote:

Just updated! Everything is so so much more responsive now! It responds to my typing faster than it used to in older versions before the update to Python 3!

I've only noticed one thing so far, and it's not necessarily a bad thing either, just something new to adjust to. The pauses after periods are shorter. Sentences feel closer together than they did before when reading. Again, this is something I could become accustomed to with time, and isn't necessarily a problem. I do like the snappy response time very much. :)  

NVDA 2020.3 Released

By NV Access

Download NVDA 2020.3

Close-up
            photograph of NVDA logo in notification area.

Oleksandr Gryshchenko

It works great!

Thank you for your efforts!

Louise Pfau

Hi.  It's working great here.  I love the responsiveness too.  I just checked the "What's new", and I can make excellent use of some of the features.

Louise

molly the blind tech lover

I just updated my NVDA.

Works great 😀

I love the new feature where the touch interaction can be toggled on and off.

And NVDA definitely seems more responsive.

I am currently using Microsoft word and NVDA seems more responsive while typing, reading character by character, etc.

I love it 😀

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Rosemarie Chavarria
Sent: Tuesday, October 13, 2020 12:37 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] News – NV Access - NVDA 2020.3 Released #NVAccessNewsFeed

NVDA 2020.3 Released

By NV Access

Download NVDA 2020.3

Quentin Christensen

For the full release information and to download, please visit: https://www.nvaccess.org/post/nvda-2020-3/

Kind regards

Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Leslie

What are you using for Say All now?  Are you still supposed to use NVDA, A or another set of keys.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Tuesday, October 13, 2020 11:45 AM

I just updated my NVDA.

Works great 😀

I am currently using Microsoft word and NVDA seems more responsive while typing, reading character by character, etc.

I love it 😀

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Rosemarie Chavarria

NVDA 2020.3 Released

By NV Access

Download NVDA 2020.3

Quentin Christensen

Hi Leslie,

If you have NVDA setup in laptop keyboard layout, then NVDA+A should still work for say all.  If you are using NVDA in desktop keyboard layout, then the keystroke is NVDA+down arrow.

If you press NVDA+control+k it opens NVDA's keyboard settings and you can check or change your keyboard layout.

Finally, if you find it's not working, have you restarted the PC since you updated NVDA?  Try that first and see if it comes back again.

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Wed, Oct 14, 2020 at 2:09 PM Leslie <soundsofmusic@...> wrote:

What are you using for Say All now?  Are you still supposed to use NVDA, A or another set of keys.

I just updated my NVDA.

Works great 😀

I love it 😀

NVDA 2020.3 Released

By NV Access

Download NVDA 2020.3

--
Quentin Christensen

Leslie

Hi Quinton,  NVDA, A still works, but I thought it might have changed to an improved way.  I did restart the computer after updating.  I’ve always thought that NVDA, A was awkward, but I’m used to it now.  I should go check What’s New after any update.  I’ve done it, but there are so many new steps that I usually can’t find what I’m looking for.  Maybe I’m just a lazy old thing. Lololol.

Sent: Tuesday, October 13, 2020 8:16 PM

Hi Leslie,

If you have NVDA setup in laptop keyboard layout, then NVDA+A should still work for say all.  If you are using NVDA in desktop keyboard layout, then the keystroke is NVDA+down arrow.

If you press NVDA+control+k it opens NVDA's keyboard settings and you can check or change your keyboard layout.

Finally, if you find it's not working, have you restarted the PC since you updated NVDA?  Try that first and see if it comes back again.

Kind regards

Quentin.

I just updated my NVDA.

Works great 😀

I love it 😀

NVDA 2020.3 Released

By NV Access

Download NVDA 2020.3

--

Quentin Christensen

I don't really use it much if ever not automatically.

On 14/10/2020 4:09 pm, Leslie wrote:

I just updated my NVDA.

Works great 😀

I love it 😀

NVDA 2020.3 Released

By NV Access

Download NVDA 2020.3

Joshua Hendrickson

I also like the new version of NVDA. It has been my primary
screen-reader for quite a while. In my opinion, NVDA is about as good
a screen-reader as jaws is. I will continue to use it and when I have
to get a computer with windows10 on it I'm going to have NVDA as my
primary screen reader and updated jaws as a secondary one. Keep up
the great work guys and one feature that I like, is now I can read the
complete annotation of an NLS book when I'm using bard express. That
is one more reason why I like NVDA. Before this update, you had to
use jaws if you wanted to hear that info. When I used NVDA, I had to
tab to the annotation and listen to it. Keep up the great work guys.

On 10/13/20, Shaun Everiss <@smeveriss> wrote:

What are you using for Say All now?  Are you still supposed to use
NVDA, A or another set of keys.

Sent from Mail <https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986> for
Windows 10

*From: *molly the blind tech lover <mailto:brainardmolly@...>
*Sent: *Tuesday, October 13, 2020 11:45 AM
*To: *nvda@nvda.groups.io <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>
*Subject: *Re: [nvda] News – NV Access - NVDA 2020.3 Released
#NVAccessNewsFeed

I just updated my NVDA.

Works great 😀

I love the new feature where the touch interaction can be toggled on
and off.

I am currently using Microsoft word and NVDA seems more responsive
while typing, reading character by character, etc.

I love it 😀

*From:* nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> *On Behalf Of
*Rosemarie Chavarria
*Sent:* Tuesday, October 13, 2020 12:37 PM
*To:* nvda@nvda.groups.io
*Subject:* Re: [nvda] News – NV Access - NVDA 2020.3 Released
#NVAccessNewsFeed

Just updated! Everything is so so much more responsive now! It
responds to my typing faster than it used to in older versions
before the update to Python 3!

I've only noticed one thing so far, and it's not necessarily a bad
thing either, just something new to adjust to. The pauses after
periods are shorter. Sentences feel closer together than they did
before when reading. Again, this is something I could become
accustomed to with time, and isn't necessarily a problem. I do
like the snappy response time very much. :)

On 14/10/2020 1:13 am, nvda@nvda.groups.io
<mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io> Integration wrote:

NVDA 2020.3 Released
<https://www.nvaccess.org/post/nvda-2020-3/>

By NV Access

NV Access is pleased to announce that version 2020.3 of NVDA,
the free screen reader for Microsoft Windows, is now available
for download. We encourage all users to upgrade to this version.

NVDA 2020.3 includes several large improvements to stability
and performance, particularly in Microsoft Office
applications. There are new settings to toggle touchscreen
support and graphics reporting. The existence of marked
(highlighted) content can be reported in browsers, and there
are new German braille tables.

Please note, after updating any software, it is a good idea to
restart the computer. Restart by going to the Shutdown dialog,
selecting “restart” and pressing ENTER. Updating software can
change files which are in use. This can lead to instability
and strange behaviour which is resolved by rebooting. This is
the first thing to try if you do notice anything odd after
updating.

While downloading NVDA, please consider becoming a monthly
donor <https://www.nvaccess.org/donate/>. Contributions like
yours help NV Access continue our important work.

We also have a range of training material in the NV Access
Shop <https://www.nvaccess.org/shop/> to help you increase
your skills with NVDA. Start with the popular Basic Training
for NVDA in electronic text

<https://www.nvaccess.org/product/basic-training-for-nvda-ebook/>,
audio

<https://www.nvaccess.org/product/basic-training-for-nvda-downloadable-audio/>
and braille

<https://www.nvaccess.org/product/basic-training-for-nvda-braille-hard-copy/>.
Save with the NVDA Productivity Bundle
<https://www.nvaccess.org/product/nvda-productivity-bundle/>.
This includes Basic Training, all our Microsoft Office
training, and telephone support.

Download NVDA 2020.3
<https://www.nvaccess.org/download?nvdaVersion=2020.3>

To find out what’s new in this release, please visit What’s
new in NVDA 2020.3

<https://www.nvaccess.org/files/nvda/releases/2020.3/nvda_2020.3_changes.html>

--
Joshua Hendrickson

Joshua Hendrickson

Quentin Christensen

What keystroke would you prefer?

Also, you can assign a new keystroke if you prefer, in NVDA's "Input Gestures" dialog.  See the User Guide for more information: https://www.nvaccess.org/files/nvda/documentation/userGuide.html#InputGestures

On Wed, Oct 14, 2020 at 2:39 PM Leslie <soundsofmusic@...> wrote:

Hi Quinton,  NVDA, A still works, but I thought it might have changed to an improved way.  I did restart the computer after updating.  I’ve always thought that NVDA, A was awkward, but I’m used to it now.  I should go check What’s New after any update.  I’ve done it, but there are so many new steps that I usually can’t find what I’m looking for.  Maybe I’m just a lazy old thing. Lololol.

Hi Leslie,

Kind regards

Quentin.

I just updated my NVDA.

Works great 😀

I love it 😀

NVDA 2020.3 Released

By NV Access

Download NVDA 2020.3

--

Quentin Christensen

--
Quentin Christensen

I really enjoy this version of nvda.

Now the only issue I have is firefox 2020.09.

I can't make the stupid thing crash with this nvda or the nvda before on 08.

So it must be 09, but the devs say its just security updates, yet something must have changed.

I have posted logs here, I have posted 2 githubs both on nvaccess and waterfox and no idea what can be done.

Its just got to be waterfox 09 but I don't know exactly what its all above.

I suspect its got to do with when things refresh, maybe its buffers, when objects are destroyed, timing or a memmory leak somewhere but I'm no programmer.

I can hazzard a guess, but what I really need is someone with the same system or a different system to generate the same errors, it can't be calibre because 08 doesn't cause calibre to do weird things, calibre could be the new addon and who knows.

The program is snappy and works well enough.

Its faster and I do like it.

On 14/10/2020 5:55 pm, Joshua Hendrickson wrote:
I also like the new version of NVDA. It has been my primary
screen-reader for quite a while. In my opinion, NVDA is about as good
a screen-reader as jaws is. I will continue to use it and when I have
to get a computer with windows10 on it I'm going to have NVDA as my
primary screen reader and updated jaws as a secondary one. Keep up
the great work guys and one feature that I like, is now I can read the
complete annotation of an NLS book when I'm using bard express. That
is one more reason why I like NVDA. Before this update, you had to
use jaws if you wanted to hear that info. When I used NVDA, I had to
tab to the annotation and listen to it. Keep up the great work guys.

On 10/13/20, Shaun Everiss <@smeveriss> wrote:

What are you using for Say All now?  Are you still supposed to use
NVDA, A or another set of keys.

Sent from Mail <https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986> for
Windows 10

*From: *molly the blind tech lover <mailto:brainardmolly@...>
*Sent: *Tuesday, October 13, 2020 11:45 AM
*To: *nvda@nvda.groups.io <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>
*Subject: *Re: [nvda] News – NV Access - NVDA 2020.3 Released
#NVAccessNewsFeed

I just updated my NVDA.

Works great 😀

I love the new feature where the touch interaction can be toggled on
and off.

I am currently using Microsoft word and NVDA seems more responsive
while typing, reading character by character, etc.

I love it 😀

*From:* nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> *On Behalf Of
*Rosemarie Chavarria
*Sent:* Tuesday, October 13, 2020 12:37 PM
*To:* nvda@nvda.groups.io
*Subject:* Re: [nvda] News – NV Access - NVDA 2020.3 Released
#NVAccessNewsFeed

Just updated! Everything is so so much more responsive now! It
responds to my typing faster than it used to in older versions
before the update to Python 3!

I've only noticed one thing so far, and it's not necessarily a bad
thing either, just something new to adjust to. The pauses after
periods are shorter. Sentences feel closer together than they did
before when reading. Again, this is something I could become
accustomed to with time, and isn't necessarily a problem. I do
like the snappy response time very much. :)

On 14/10/2020 1:13 am, nvda@nvda.groups.io
<mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io> Integration wrote:

NVDA 2020.3 Released
<https://www.nvaccess.org/post/nvda-2020-3/>

By NV Access

NV Access is pleased to announce that version 2020.3 of NVDA,
the free screen reader for Microsoft Windows, is now available
for download. We encourage all users to upgrade to this version.

NVDA 2020.3 includes several large improvements to stability
and performance, particularly in Microsoft Office
applications. There are new settings to toggle touchscreen
support and graphics reporting. The existence of marked
(highlighted) content can be reported in browsers, and there
are new German braille tables.

Please note, after updating any software, it is a good idea to
restart the computer. Restart by going to the Shutdown dialog,
selecting “restart” and pressing ENTER. Updating software can
change files which are in use. This can lead to instability
and strange behaviour which is resolved by rebooting. This is
the first thing to try if you do notice anything odd after
updating.

While downloading NVDA, please consider becoming a monthly
donor <https://www.nvaccess.org/donate/>. Contributions like
yours help NV Access continue our important work.

We also have a range of training material in the NV Access
Shop <https://www.nvaccess.org/shop/> to help you increase
your skills with NVDA. Start with the popular Basic Training
for NVDA in electronic text

<https://www.nvaccess.org/product/basic-training-for-nvda-ebook/>,
audio

<https://www.nvaccess.org/product/basic-training-for-nvda-downloadable-audio/>
and braille

<https://www.nvaccess.org/product/basic-training-for-nvda-braille-hard-copy/>.
Save with the NVDA Productivity Bundle
<https://www.nvaccess.org/product/nvda-productivity-bundle/>.
This includes Basic Training, all our Microsoft Office
training, and telephone support.

Download NVDA 2020.3
<https://www.nvaccess.org/download?nvdaVersion=2020.3>

To find out what’s new in this release, please visit What’s
new in NVDA 2020.3

<https://www.nvaccess.org/files/nvda/releases/2020.3/nvda_2020.3_changes.html>

Gene

Do you know the fast way to see all the What's New topics? Move through them by heading, use h in the what's new page and you will see the heading for every change or addition. It is very unlikely that a different command would be used for such a well established command.

However, as I understand the question, it was asked because Shaun said something about turning off rread to end, which was unclear. I think he was talking about turning off the automatic reading of web pages after they open, not the reade all command itself.

Gene

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, October 13, 2020 10:39 PM

Hi Quinton, NVDA, A still works, but I thought it might have changed to an improved way. I did restart the computer after updating. I’ve always thought that NVDA, A was awkward, but I’m used to it now. I should go check What’s New after any update. I’ve done it, but there are so many new steps that I usually can’t find what I’m looking for. Maybe I’m just a lazy old thing. Lololol.

Hi Leslie,

If you have NVDA setup in laptop keyboard layout, then NVDA+A should still work for say all. If you are using NVDA in desktop keyboard layout, then the keystroke is NVDA+down arrow.

Finally, if you find it's not working, have you restarted the PC since you updated NVDA? Try that first and see if it comes back again.

Kind regards

Quentin.

What are you using for Say All now? Are you still supposed to use NVDA, A or another set of keys.

I just updated my NVDA.

Works great 😀

I love it 😀

NVDA 2020.3 Released

By NV Access

Download NVDA 2020.3

--

Quentin Christensen

Web: www.nvaccess.org

Training: https://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

Certification: https://certification.nvaccess.org/

User group: https://nvda.groups.io/g/nvda

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess
Twitter: @NVAccess

Sharni-Lee Ward

I always liked NVDA+a and don't find it awkward at all, but then again I use the caps lock as my NVDA modifier key, and "a" is right next to it. :)   

On 14/10/2020 2:39 pm, Leslie wrote:

Hi Leslie,

Kind regards

Quentin.

I just updated my NVDA.

Works great 😀

I love it 😀

NVDA 2020.3 Released

By NV Access

Download NVDA 2020.3

--

Quentin Christensen

-->

Luke Robinett

Wow! The NVDA developers really outdid themselves with this one! I am particularly excited about the new options for visual studio compatibility and what is listed here as significant improvements to visual studio code, given I use both of these applications on a daily basis myself. Thank you guys so much. Looking forward to downloading and trying out the new version!

On Oct 13, 2020, at 3:39 PM, Quentin Christensen <quentin@...> wrote:

For the full release information and to download, please visit: https://www.nvaccess.org/post/nvda-2020-3/

Kind regards

Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen