locked No Beeps in Explorer Any More?


Steve Matzura
 

I had the occasion to copy a folder with a lot of small files and discovered that the beeps for progress bar indication are gone. Running everything latest--Windows 10 21H2 build 1826, NVDA 2022.2. Beeps work everywhere else, just not in File Explorer. I distinctly remember this used to work. Thoughts?


Quentin Christensen
 

Hi Steve,

How large is your folder?  The beeps occur every percentage or so - I just copied a small folder (which took about ten seconds) and got the increasing beeps.  When I went to copy a large folder, I got one beep every minute as it very slowly worked.

I'm using NVDA 2022.3beta1 on Windows 11 (64-bit) Version: 21H2 (2009), Build: 22000.795   but I don't believe we've changed anything recently.

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Thu, Aug 4, 2022 at 10:33 AM Steve Matzura <number6@...> wrote:
I had the occasion to copy a folder with a lot of small files and
discovered that the beeps for progress bar indication are gone. Running
everything latest--Windows 10 21H2 build 1826, NVDA 2022.2. Beeps work
everywhere else, just not in File Explorer. I distinctly remember this
used to work. Thoughts?








--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager


Gene
 

It sounds as though the progress bar is not being shown when working in File Explorer.  I don't know why.  Perhaps there is a setting about showing the progress bar or where it is shown.

Gene

On 8/3/2022 7:33 PM, Steve Matzura wrote:
I had the occasion to copy a folder with a lot of small files and discovered that the beeps for progress bar indication are gone. Running everything latest--Windows 10 21H2 build 1826, NVDA 2022.2. Beeps work everywhere else, just not in File Explorer. I distinctly remember this used to work. Thoughts?








Quentin Christensen
 

Actually one other thought occurs to me - when you say "a lot of small files", do you mean one at a time?  If they finish copying within say a second, Windows won't display a progress bar and NVDA won't beep, it's just done.


On Thu, Aug 4, 2022 at 10:43 AM Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
It sounds as though the progress bar is not being shown when working in File Explorer.  I don't know why.  Perhaps there is a setting about showing the progress bar or where it is shown.

Gene

On 8/3/2022 7:33 PM, Steve Matzura wrote:
I had the occasion to copy a folder with a lot of small files and discovered that the beeps for progress bar indication are gone. Running everything latest--Windows 10 21H2 build 1826, NVDA 2022.2. Beeps work everywhere else, just not in File Explorer. I distinctly remember this used to work. Thoughts?









--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager


 

Hi,

See if "more details" is checked when looking at copy dialog.

Cheers,

Joseph


Steve Matzura
 

Joseph,

No, More Details was definitely not checked. Also, the folder in question contained over ten thousand files and was about two gigs in size. I should have gotten something. Seems to work fine everywhere else but File Explorer. I'll try it with More Details checked and report.


 

Since it's already been reported that this issue with File Explorer and NVDA is not global, that directly points to an issue specific to a given machine.

The first thing, always, is The Most Basic Troubleshooting Steps for Suspected NVDA Issues.
That helps eliminate "the simple things" that could be at play with NVDA.  In this case, I'm really not suspecting NVDA, but they still need to have been done.

Since this is more likely to be something Windows related than NVDA related, I'd try Windows-focused repairs first.  Whenever any inexplicable issue presents itself in Windows “out of the blue” and with seemingly no reason, these are the two things I try first, in order:

1. Using DISM (Deployment Imaging Servicing and Management) and SFC (System File Checker) to Repair Windows 8.1, 10 & 11

2. Performing a Windows 10 or 11 Repair Install or Feature Update Using the Windows ISO file

If #1 fixes the issue, #2 is unnecessary.
--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H2, Build 19044  

The difference between a top-flight creative man and the hack is his ability to express powerful meanings indirectly.

         ~ Vance Packard


Steve Matzura
 

Beeps returned when I changed Explorer to More Details.


On 8/4/2022 8:44 AM, Steve Matzura wrote:
Joseph,

No, More Details was definitely not checked. Also, the folder in question contained over ten thousand files and was about two gigs in size. I should have gotten something. Seems to work fine everywhere else but File Explorer. I'll try it with More Details checked and report.
_._,_._,_


Sarah k Alawami
 

I also don’t get a progress bar sound in file explorer, I thought that was normal actually. Come  to think of it, I  have never gotten a progress sound in explorer even with progress beeps on.

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Steve Matzura
Sent: Thursday, August 4, 2022 5:44 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] No Beeps in Explorer Any More?

 

Joseph,

No, More Details was definitely not checked. Also, the folder in question contained over ten thousand files and was about two gigs in size. I should have gotten something. Seems to work fine everywhere else but File Explorer. I'll try it with More Details checked and report.


Sarah k Alawami
 

I have my view set to details, is that the same thing? Just curious here.

 

TY.

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Steve Matzura
Sent: Thursday, August 4, 2022 8:41 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] No Beeps in Explorer Any More?

 

Beeps returned when I changed Explorer to More Details.

 

On 8/4/2022 8:44 AM, Steve Matzura wrote:

Joseph,

No, More Details was definitely not checked. Also, the folder in question contained over ten thousand files and was about two gigs in size. I should have gotten something. Seems to work fine everywhere else but File Explorer. I'll try it with More Details checked and report.


Gene
 

I wonder at times why people are so concerned to hear progress announcements or beeps.  In general, I want things to be done in the background, not announcing things that distract me or that tell me information I'm not interested in. 

If I'm copying something that takes awhile, if I read the title bar, I get a percent that has been copied if I am in the window.  I don't hear all sorts of progress reports I don't want to hear. 

Its not that I never use progress announcements.  Occasionally, I use a program where progress announcements aren't conveniently available in a way such as reading the title bar.  But I wonder if a lot of the interest in progress announcements is because people don't realize how easy information is to get in some or many cases.

A lot can be learned by trying things.  I learned about the title bar progress method by just seeing what happened if I read the title bar while copying files.

Gene

On 8/4/2022 10:40 AM, Steve Matzura wrote:

Beeps returned when I changed Explorer to More Details.


On 8/4/2022 8:44 AM, Steve Matzura wrote:
Joseph,

No, More Details was definitely not checked. Also, the folder in question contained over ten thousand files and was about two gigs in size. I should have gotten something. Seems to work fine everywhere else but File Explorer. I'll try it with More Details checked and report.


Gene
 

There is no connection.  Details shows more about files shown in the list but it has nothing to do with this.  I haven't looked at this setting much but my understanding of it is that it is a check box that is available when you are copying something and you can see it when you tab around.  It provides more information about the copy process.

Gene

On 8/4/2022 10:53 AM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:

I have my view set to details, is that the same thing? Just curious here.

 

TY.

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Steve Matzura
Sent: Thursday, August 4, 2022 8:41 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] No Beeps in Explorer Any More?

 

Beeps returned when I changed Explorer to More Details.

 

On 8/4/2022 8:44 AM, Steve Matzura wrote:

Joseph,

No, More Details was definitely not checked. Also, the folder in question contained over ten thousand files and was about two gigs in size. I should have gotten something. Seems to work fine everywhere else but File Explorer. I'll try it with More Details checked and report.



Steve Matzura
 

On 8/4/2022 11:54 AM, Gene wrote:
I wonder at times why people are so concerned to hear progress announcements or beeps.

And I wonder at times why you wonder at times about the why's and wherefores of how others work. Are you one of these minimalist blind people that pride themselves on getting by with the least amount of information so they can look like they're so efficient and productive alongside their non-blind counterparts? LOL! I didn't think so. So give it a rest and listen to what other users are saying--that they had the same problem I did but thought it was normal, and they're glad someone asked about it and got a solution that helps their productivity.


And please don't respond to this message. I'm not into flame wars. I'm just trying to point out that if a tool or feature exists, no one should feel they should avoid using it because someone thinks that person's way is inferior or inefficient. The way you work is best for you; the way I work is best for me. The two ways are different. And that should be where this thread ends.


 

On Thu, Aug 4, 2022 at 12:33 PM, Steve Matzura wrote:
And I wonder at times why you wonder at times about the why's and wherefores of how others work.
-
Take your own advice.  All of us have the right to wonder about how other people handle things, and to express our opinions about same.  It's no skin off your nose.

In addition, and this is not a case like this, very often "how someone works" reveals an ignorance about other options.  I can't count the number of times someone's said that they do something one way, which is without question a more difficult way, and were advised by others that a number of other options exist.

I have tired of people who seem to thing that being challenged or questioned on a group like this one is inappropriate.  It isn't.  You, and anyone else, is free to take or reject any advice offered.
--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H2, Build 19044  

The difference between a top-flight creative man and the hack is his ability to express powerful meanings indirectly.

         ~ Vance Packard


Gene
 

Please stop looking for bad motives.  It should be obvious if you aren't looking to be insulted, that if I were as you describe, that I wouldn't help or be able to help people as I do because I wouldn't know as much as I do and I wouldn't bother to explain it.

I'm simply asking if this is an example of blind people not being as aware of different ways of doing things in Windows because they don't look around.  You can learn a lot by being curious and looking around.  For example, by looking around just because you are curious, you will see lots of information in the footers of list mail such as how to change your delivery status, unsubscribe etc.  By looking at web pages just because you are curious, you may find things that help you work with web pages in general or that one in particular.  For example, by looking around, I found certain patterns, such as that web pages that expect people to contact the company or whatever has put up the page, you will find a pattern.  Most such pages use the phrase contact us or use the word contact in the contact link regardless of whatever words they may use.  I can go to an unfamiliar page and find that link if that is what I'm looking for far faster than if I hadn't looked around and seen that pattern.

Get the chip off of your shoulder. 

Gene

On 8/4/2022 11:33 AM, Steve Matzura wrote:
On 8/4/2022 11:54 AM, Gene wrote:
I wonder at times why people are so concerned to hear progress announcements or beeps.


And I wonder at times why you wonder at times about the why's and wherefores of how others work. Are you one of these minimalist blind people that pride themselves on getting by with the least amount of information so they can look like they're so efficient and productive alongside their non-blind counterparts? LOL! I didn't think so. So give it a rest and listen to what other users are saying--that they had the same problem I did but thought it was normal, and they're glad someone asked about it and got a solution that helps their productivity.


And please don't respond to this message. I'm not into flame wars. I'm just trying to point out that if a tool or feature exists, no one should feel they should avoid using it because someone thinks that person's way is inferior or inefficient. The way you work is best for you; the way I work is best for me. The two ways are different. And that should be where this thread ends.






.


Gene
 

I should add that I might not have raised the question but I thought the message was on the chat list.  Nonetheless, the discussion may encourage people to look around and try things just because they are curious.

Sighted people are aware of all sorts of things related to using programs or other computer-related things just because they see them.  Not looking around needlessly limits your knowledge and information.

Gene

On 8/4/2022 12:20 PM, Gene wrote:
Please stop looking for bad motives.  It should be obvious if you aren't looking to be insulted, that if I were as you describe, that I wouldn't help or be able to help people as I do because I wouldn't know as much as I do and I wouldn't bother to explain it.

I'm simply asking if this is an example of blind people not being as aware of different ways of doing things in Windows because they don't look around.  You can learn a lot by being curious and looking around.  For example, by looking around just because you are curious, you will see lots of information in the footers of list mail such as how to change your delivery status, unsubscribe etc.  By looking at web pages just because you are curious, you may find things that help you work with web pages in general or that one in particular.  For example, by looking around, I found certain patterns, such as that web pages that expect people to contact the company or whatever has put up the page, you will find a pattern.  Most such pages use the phrase contact us or use the word contact in the contact link regardless of whatever words they may use.  I can go to an unfamiliar page and find that link if that is what I'm looking for far faster than if I hadn't looked around and seen that pattern.

Get the chip off of your shoulder. 

Gene

On 8/4/2022 11:33 AM, Steve Matzura wrote:
On 8/4/2022 11:54 AM, Gene wrote:
I wonder at times why people are so concerned to hear progress announcements or beeps.


And I wonder at times why you wonder at times about the why's and wherefores of how others work. Are you one of these minimalist blind people that pride themselves on getting by with the least amount of information so they can look like they're so efficient and productive alongside their non-blind counterparts? LOL! I didn't think so. So give it a rest and listen to what other users are saying--that they had the same problem I did but thought it was normal, and they're glad someone asked about it and got a solution that helps their productivity.


And please don't respond to this message. I'm not into flame wars. I'm just trying to point out that if a tool or feature exists, no one should feel they should avoid using it because someone thinks that person's way is inferior or inefficient. The way you work is best for you; the way I work is best for me. The two ways are different. And that should be where this thread ends.






.



Sarah k Alawami
 

I’m very aware of the title bar,; sometimes however I get a ghost progress while copying, I.E, it says 100 percent and it appears to be done, the dialogue does not go away.  This has been an issue off and on since Iv’e been using windows 10, for the past 5 or so years now, hence I want that extra sound, plus I think in 3d space, so having that sound helps me picture where in 3d space the progress bar is.

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Thursday, August 4, 2022 8:55 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] No Beeps in Explorer Any More?

 

I wonder at times why people are so concerned to hear progress announcements or beeps.  In general, I want things to be done in the background, not announcing things that distract me or that tell me information I'm not interested in. 

If I'm copying something that takes awhile, if I read the title bar, I get a percent that has been copied if I am in the window.  I don't hear all sorts of progress reports I don't want to hear. 

Its not that I never use progress announcements.  Occasionally, I use a program where progress announcements aren't conveniently available in a way such as reading the title bar.  But I wonder if a lot of the interest in progress announcements is because people don't realize how easy information is to get in some or many cases.

A lot can be learned by trying things.  I learned about the title bar progress method by just seeing what happened if I read the title bar while copying files.

Gene

On 8/4/2022 10:40 AM, Steve Matzura wrote:

Beeps returned when I changed Explorer to More Details.

 

On 8/4/2022 8:44 AM, Steve Matzura wrote:

Joseph,

No, More Details was definitely not checked. Also, the folder in question contained over ten thousand files and was about two gigs in size. I should have gotten something. Seems to work fine everywhere else but File Explorer. I'll try it with More Details checked and report.

 


Sarah k Alawami
 

Right, I should have realized this. I have that box checked; no beeps as well. I can live with that, just curious as to why they are not happening.

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Thursday, August 4, 2022 8:58 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] No Beeps in Explorer Any More?

 

There is no connection.  Details shows more about files shown in the list but it has nothing to do with this.  I haven't looked at this setting much but my understanding of it is that it is a check box that is available when you are copying something and you can see it when you tab around.  It provides more information about the copy process.

Gene

On 8/4/2022 10:53 AM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:

I have my view set to details, is that the same thing? Just curious here.

 

TY.

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Steve Matzura
Sent: Thursday, August 4, 2022 8:41 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] No Beeps in Explorer Any More?

 

Beeps returned when I changed Explorer to More Details.

 

On 8/4/2022 8:44 AM, Steve Matzura wrote:

Joseph,

No, More Details was definitely not checked. Also, the folder in question contained over ten thousand files and was about two gigs in size. I should have gotten something. Seems to work fine everywhere else but File Explorer. I'll try it with More Details checked and report.

 


Sascha Cowley
 

I believe it is because in more details view the progress bar is replaced with a graph that is filled along the horizontal axis to indicate copy progress, and along the vertical axis to indicate transfer rate over time.


Steve Matzura
 

You missed my point, which was to say that it's not our business to openly wonder why people do the things they do the way they do them. In my opinion, that's just unnecessary and, quite frankly, harsh criticism folks don't need. Ask all you like about why others do things differently than you do; using phrases like "I wonder why" can be easily misinterpreted to mean "How silly you are to do things that way, when my way is so superior--I don't need all that other nonsense." Suggesting better methods is always good; putting someone down for failing to acknowledge the superiority of your methods or for using others that you yourself might not like or use, that's not cool.


On 8/4/2022 12:37 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
On Thu, Aug 4, 2022 at 12:33 PM, Steve Matzura wrote:
And I wonder at times why you wonder at times about the why's and wherefores of how others work.
-
Take your own advice.  All of us have the right to wonder about how other people handle things, and to express our opinions about same.  It's no skin off your nose.

In addition, and this is not a case like this, very often "how someone works" reveals an ignorance about other options.  I can't count the number of times someone's said that they do something one way, which is without question a more difficult way, and were advised by others that a number of other options exist.

I have tired of people who seem to thing that being challenged or questioned on a group like this one is inappropriate.  It isn't.  You, and anyone else, is free to take or reject any advice offered.

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H2, Build 19044  

The difference between a top-flight creative man and the hack is his ability to express powerful meanings indirectly.

         ~ Vance Packard

_._,_._,_