Topics

No exit sound on NVDA 2020.2 when I shut down my computer

brian

I have my nvda set to play start and exit sounds checked. When I turn my computer on I do hear the start up nvda sound but when I shut down my computer I don't hear any exit sound.  I have no way to know if my computer is shut down or not. I have only had this problem with nvda 2020.2

Brian Sackrider

Have you, by any chance, installed any software between the time you installed NVDA 2020.1 and upgraded to 2020.2.

The playing of sounds during the shutdown process is entirely dependent on whether Windows has already shut down sound itself before another given process is terminated.  It can, and often does, happen that as additional software gets added something that used to be in position X in the shutdown sequence, which was before sound was terminated, gets bumped to position Y, after it has been terminated.

Chris

Maybe the soundfile for exit is either missing or corrupt?

Check in program files (x86)\NVA\waves\exit.wav

I have my nvda set to play start and exit sounds checked. When I

turn my computer on I do hear the start up nvda sound but when I shut

down my computer I don't hear any exit sound.  I have no way to know if

my computer is shut down or not. I have only had this problem with nvda 2020.2

Brian Sackrider

CARLOS-ESTEBAN

Hello.
Is probably that the cause is that Windows stop the process of audio before of NVDA play exit.wav.

Carlos Esteban Martínez Macías.
Músico (pianista) y también ayuda a usuarios con discapacidad visual en el
uso de lectores de pantalla y tecnología.

Musicien (pianist) and also help to users with a visual disability in the use of screen readers and technology.
Certified expert in screen reader NVDA.

On Wed, Jul 29, 2020 at 12:34 PM, CARLOS-ESTEBAN wrote:
Is probably that the cause is that Windows stop the process of audio before of NVDA play exit.wav.
-
We're both on the same page here.  And based on my long experience with Windows (all versions) and the shutdown process this is by far and away the most likely reason.

brian

    No I have not.

Brian Sackrider

On 7/29/2020 12:28 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
Have you, by any chance, installed any software between the time you installed NVDA 2020.1 and upgraded to 2020.2.

The playing of sounds during the shutdown process is entirely dependent on whether Windows has already shut down sound itself before another given process is terminated.  It can, and often does, happen that as additional software gets added something that used to be in position X in the shutdown sequence, which was before sound was terminated, gets bumped to position Y, after it has been terminated.

Luke Davis

Before trying anything else, try these two things:

1. Quit NVDA (NVDA+Q, then exit), without shutting down your machine.
Does the exit sound play in that context?
If it does, then the suggestions about windows messing with the shutdown priority could be your issue.

If it doesn't, as I suspect, then you have a much more likely issue:

2. Try restarting with add-ons disabled. You can usually do that from the NVDA+Q exit menu, although if you have that turned off, you will need to turn it back on (show exit options) in NVDA's general settings (NVDA+Ctrl+G).
Once you have restarted with no add-ons, try shutting down or just exiting NVDA.
If you get the sound then, your problem is an add-on.

As I recall, there was a topic here a few weeks ago in which someone (David Goldfield?) had the same problem, and it turned out to be an add-on causing it, although I can't recall which.
Search the list archives for that.

Luke

On Wed, 29 Jul 2020, brian wrote:

I have my nvda set to play start and exit sounds checked. When I turn my computer on I do hear the start up nvda sound but when I shut down my computer I don't hear any exit sound.  I have no way to know if my computer is shut down or not. I have only had this problem with nvda 2020.2

Edited

Luke's suggestions are excellent.  Remember, too, that an upgrade to NVDA involves an uninstall of the existing NVDA and install of the new one, so even that can change the position of NVDA in the shutdown process.

In addition to Luke's recommendations, if you (any you who's reading) do not have the Add-On Updater add-on installed, I'd suggest doing so.  It is now configured such that it will detect when obsolete add-ons, such as Focus Highlight or Screen Curtain, are no longer needed when that functionality has been pulled into the NVDA core, and will remove them.

And as to searching the archives, which is always a good idea if you suspect something has been discussed in the past, here are step-by-step instructions for downloading: Searching the NVDA Group Archive

David Goldfield

Hello. For me, the add-on in question which was causing the shut-down wav file to be suppressed was an older version of the Acapela speech engine. As it turned out Acapela corrected this problem in a later update which I did not have. Installing the newer speech engine fixed the problem.