No sound with NVDA 2020.1 in a Windows 10 VM

Lukasz Golonka

On Thu, 29 Jul 2021 15:06:24 -0700
"Brian Vogel" <britechguy@gmail.com> wrote:

If, by some chance, you somehow have Windows 10 Version 1809 running, you need to get a far more recent version and re-create your VM using it.  I'd go no earlier than Version 20H2 and, ideally, just use the current version, 21H1.
Unless he needs to use 1809 LTSC which is supported for around 7 years
still.

On Thu, Jul 29, 2021 at 06:13 PM, Lukasz Golonka wrote:
Unless he needs to use 1809 LTSC which is supported for around 7 years still.
-
True, but only if it is required.  Otherwise it always makes sense to keep your instances, whether actual or virtual, up to date with the latest supported version that will run on your hardware.

Yep.  Discipline.  Accountability.  Joy.  Fun.  Responsibility.

That's what life is about.  And in that order.

        ~ Liza Minnelli

Sébastien Hinderer

Dear Lukasz,

Thanks again!

Regarding the updates I think we did them but I'll ask my sighted
friends to check the sound menu itself.

I have patience so yes I will have the possibility to have sighted
assistance. Probably not before next week but that's okay.

Will report progress here.

Many thanks, the thread has been really helpful so far!

Sébasttien.

Sébastien Hinderer

Dear Brian,

Is there no possibility to get one given version of Windows updated to
the current one without having to re-install?

My belief was that when you are letting Windows download updates that'
was precisely what was happening. Am I wrong here? Sorry, lack of
familiarity with the Windows world. Will need to catchup.

Sébastien.

Sébastien Hinderer

Brian Vogel (2021/07/29 15:19 -0700):
On Thu, Jul 29, 2021 at 06:13 PM, Lukasz Golonka wrote:

Unless he needs to use 1809 LTSC which is supported for around 7 years
still.
-
True, but only if it is required.  Otherwise it always makes sense to
keep your instances, whether actual or virtual, up to date with the
latest supported version that will run on your hardware.
One question here. The VM has been provided to me by the research center
I am working for, here in France. They have hteir own activation
sservers, for instance.

Is it possible that, when Windows is asked to search for updates, it has
been pre-configured to do so only on the institute's server which would
then only have certain CU that would prevent one from installing a too
recent versionn of Windows with respect to some security policy they may
have?

Thanks,

Sébastien.

Lukasz Golonka

On Fri, 30 Jul 2021 07:02:53 +0200
Sébastien Hinderer <Sebastien.Hinderer@inria.fr> wrote:

Regarding the updates I think we did them but I'll ask my sighted
friends to check the sound menu itself.
The trouble here is that if you've installed without the update that
fixes the problem updating later on has no effect. This is because
Windows checks for the best (in its opinion that is) settings for a
given sound device just once. The fix released by MS made it so for the sound
device emulated by Virtual Box 5.1 sound is not chosen automatically but
if it has been chosen before the update would not change that and this
needs to be done from the sound settings.

I have patience so yes I will have the possibility to have sighted
assistance. Probably not before next week but that's okay.
There are certainly ways to do the changes yourself the easiest would be
to connect external USB sound card to your VM if you have one. that is.

Lukasz Golonka

On Fri, 30 Jul 2021 07:06:11 +0200
Sébastien Hinderer <Sebastien.Hinderer@inria.fr> wrote:

Dear Brian,

Is there no possibility to get one given version of Windows updated to
the current one without having to re-install?
For normal versions of Windows 10 that is precisely what happens. However
if if you're using an LTSC build that is the version with a long term
support the new builds are not delivered via Windows Update - only
security fixes are.

On Fri, Jul 30, 2021 at 01:10 AM, Sébastien Hinderer wrote:
Is it possible that, when Windows is asked to search for updates, it has
been pre-configured to do so only on the institute's server which would
then only have certain CU that would prevent one from installing a too
recent version of Windows with respect to some security policy they may
have?
-
Yes, that is a possibility.

You really need to talk with "your people" so that you can understand exactly what they are supplying to you and what their constraints are from a policies and procedures perspective.  I realize that you are new to this job, and this is a pain, but the more you can get nailed down about not only what you're dealing with now, but how things are going to work with your Windows VM going forward, the easier your life will be.

It could be that you have a more recent version of Windows 10 for all I know.  It would still be helpful to know what their update policy is if all Windows updates are being managed by them.

My gut is telling me that you are not going to have Windows 10 Home or Pro, but Enterprise or Educational, both of which are intended for large entities that control their own Windows Updates and their timing.

I'd also hope that your employer has technical support that can help out with solving the most pressing issue you're having right now:  no speech output.

Yep.  Discipline.  Accountability.  Joy.  Fun.  Responsibility.

That's what life is about.  And in that order.

        ~ Liza Minnelli

Sébastien Hinderer

Dear all,

Although this is sent as a response to Brian, this e-mail intents to
thank allof you who helped me, with apologies for thedelay, I have been
sick lastly.

The diagnostic made by Lukasz (I think) was correct. I did havethe buggy
version of Windows and for some reason the update had been interrupted.
It has now been completed with sighted help and the latest NVDA
installed. I am still with the e-speach voicesynthesis but at least I am
in a position from where I should be able to progress by myself.

Thanks again and all the best to everybody,

Sébastien.