no update available

Mary Otten

Yesterday, I reported that when I tried to update NVDA, I got an error message saying update failed, and I should look at the log, which I didn't understand at all. So I just checked today for an update and was informed that no update is available.

Now what?

Mary

What version is NVDA reporting when you check the version?  [NVDA + N, H, A]

If you're still showing something prior to 2022.2.1, then go to the NVAccess Downloads Page and download the installer from there and try running it.  If it still fails, consider uninstalling your existing NVDA and using the freshly downloaded installer to reinstaller rather than trying to upgrade.
--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H2, Build 19044  

The difference between a top-flight creative man and the hack is his ability to express powerful meanings indirectly.

~ Vance Packard

Rui Fontes

Verify the NVDA version, in NVDA, Help, About menu...

Rui Fontes

Às 16:59 de 24/08/2022, Mary Otten escreveu:

Yesterday, I reported that when I tried to update NVDA, I got an error message saying update failed, and I should look at the log, which I didn't understand at all. So I just checked today for an update and was informed that no update is available.

Now what?

Mary

Joshua Hendrickson

My NVDA informed me there was an update today. I updated with no issues.

On 8/24/22, Rui Fontes <rui.fontes@...> wrote:

Rui Fontes

Yesterday, I reported that when I tried to update NVDA, I got an error
message saying update failed, and I should look at the log, which I
didn't understand at all. So I just checked today for an update and
was informed that no update is available.

Now what?

Mary

--
Joshua Hendrickson

Joshua Hendrickson

Mary Otten

Well, it does say Feb 1st 2022, so I guess it did update and never mind the error message?

\Mary

On 8/24/2022 9:04 AM, Brian Vogel wrote:

What version is NVDA reporting when you check the version?  [NVDA + N, H, A]

If you're still showing something prior to 2022.2.1, then go to the NVAccess Downloads Page and download the installer from there and try running it.  If it still fails, consider uninstalling your existing NVDA and using the freshly downloaded installer to reinstaller rather than trying to upgrade.
--

The difference between a top-flight creative man and the hack is his ability to express powerful meanings indirectly.

~ Vance Packard

On Wed, Aug 24, 2022 at 12:26 PM, Mary Otten wrote:
Well, it does say Feb 1st 2022, so I guess it did update and never mind the error message?
-
Provided NVDA is behaving normally, I'd just chalk it up to a spurious error message.  If NVDA starts misbehaving (or is misbehaving) then I'd uninstall and reinstall with a freshly downloaded copy of the NVDA installer.
--

~ Vance Packard

lynn white

Hey Mary,

That is so weird. I know that this probably doesn't help much. When I just opened NVDA, the update was offered. I wonder what would happen if you tried to download from the site itself?

On 8/24/2022 10:59 AM, Mary Otten wrote:

Now what?

Mary

--
For 24/7 music and shows to encourage you in following Christ, go to https://www.radioforlife.org

Hi lal,

Mary is, in fact, running the latest stable version (2022.2.1, a security update released yesterday).

Cheers,

Joseph

Maria S

I also received an error, but the update did install thankfully.

Maria

On 8/24/22, Joseph Lee <joseph.lee22590@...> wrote:
Hi lal,

Mary is, in fact, running the latest stable version (2022.2.1, a security
update released yesterday).

Cheers,

Joseph

Curtis Delzer

Yes, I am running beta 3, and says if I wish to "down grade" to uninstall, etc.

On 8/24/2022 10:21 AM, Maria S wrote:
I also received an error, but the update did install thankfully.

Maria

On 8/24/22, Joseph Lee <joseph.lee22590@...> wrote:
Hi lal,

Mary is, in fact, running the latest stable version (2022.2.1, a security
update released yesterday).

Cheers,

Joseph

--
Curtis Delzer
H.S.
K6VFO
Rialto, CA
curtis@...

Arlene

Hi there, If you download a copy of this NVDA. You’d have it download in your downloads folder. If you are offered an update when loading it. Take it anyway. If it becomes corrupt then you can uninstall it and reinstall your downloaded copy. You can save your downloaded copy on a external hard drive if your computer suddenly died like my old windows 7 did. I had an executable file of NVDA.  It’s good to have an extra copy kicking around if you need it.

Sent from Mail for Windows

Sent: August 24, 2022 10:05 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] no update available

Hey Mary,

That is so weird. I know that this probably doesn't help much. When I

just opened NVDA, the update was offered. I wonder what would happen if

you tried to download from the site itself?

On 8/24/2022 10:59 AM, Mary Otten wrote:

> Yesterday, I reported that when I tried to update NVDA, I got an error

> message saying update failed, and I should look at the log, which I

> didn't understand at all. So I just checked today for an update and

> was informed that no update is available.

> Now what?

> Mary

>

--

For 24/7 music and shows to encourage you in following Christ, go to https://www.radioforlife.org

Arlene

Hi, I had to go to help and about. There I had to get the update. I took it no problems.

Sent: August 24, 2022 9:07 AM

Rui Fontes

> Yesterday, I reported that when I tried to update NVDA, I got an error

> message saying update failed, and I should look at the log, which I

> didn't understand at all. So I just checked today for an update and

> was informed that no update is available.

> Now what?

> Mary

>

Arlene,

I don't know what editor you're using to compose your email messages, but it appears that you have right justification of text turned on.  I thought you'd like to know.
--

~ Vance Packard

Arlene

Oh, how does one fix that? Thanks.

Sent: August 24, 2022 3:00 PM

Arlene,

I don't know what editor you're using to compose your email messages, but it appears that you have right justification of text turned on.  I thought you'd like to know.
--

~ Vance Packard

On Wed, Aug 24, 2022 at 06:11 PM, Arlene wrote:
Oh, how does one fix that?
-
I first need to know how you're composing your email messages.  That is, what email client are you using, as the exact "how to turn that off" is directly dependent on the client's compose window commands.
--

~ Vance Packard

-
By the way, this message, asking about how to fix it, is correctly left justified, just so you know.
--

~ Vance Packard

Arlene

Oh, I’m using the windows mail app.

Sent: August 24, 2022 3:19 PM

-
I first need to know how you're composing your email messages.  That is, what email client are you using, as the exact "how to turn that off" is directly dependent on the client's compose window commands.
--

~ Vance Packard

On Wed, Aug 24, 2022 at 06:21 PM, Arlene wrote:
-
Then, sadly, I have no idea.  I absolutely despise the Windows Mail App, and even after firing it up and opening a compose window and confirming that the option for justification exists there, I can't for the life of me figure out how you would activate any of the options via the keyboard.  

It probably requires object navigation in some way.

Someone else may be able to assist, as the Windows Mail App is something I long ago decided I just am not willing to learn.  There are just too many other, better, email clients and that follow long-established accessibility conventions.
--

~ Vance Packard

Arlene

I’ve been using windows ten mail app since I got this computer.

Sent: August 24, 2022 3:27 PM

-
Then, sadly, I have no idea.  I absolutely despise the Windows Mail App, and even after firing it up and opening a compose window and confirming that the option for justification exists there, I can't for the life of me figure out how you would activate any of the options via the keyboard.  

Someone else may be able to assist, as the Windows Mail App is something I long ago decided I just am not willing to learn.  There are just too many other, better, email clients and that follow long-established accessibility conventions.
--

~ Vance Packard

Gene

Are the messages still right justified?  When I check for formatting, the below message appears to be correctly aligned.  I suspect that in one message, you pressed a keyboard command to right align text but that its alright in general.

Gene

On 8/24/2022 6:07 PM, Arlene wrote:

I’ve been using windows ten mail app since I got this computer.

Sent: August 24, 2022 3:27 PM

-

--

~ Vance Packard