not constantly maintained addon and compatibility issue

William

Hello, especially for nvda developers and addon developers,

Thanks to lots of addon that enhanced my productivity.

The current situation is that, some of the addon that I am using is not supporting the latest nvda 2021.1 and are forced to be blocked by nvda.

To my understanding, some of these addons are not really "having compatibility issue", it is only not updated the addon file to state that the addon is supporting the latest nvda, am i right?

Can we have a mechanism to make these addons being maintained, even

if the developer ignored it or forget to update it?

Thanks,

William

Jujube

Hi, I sympathize and agree it's a frustration, but I think what you're describing isn't something that can be fixed in a day and it's not something that's going to be perfect. A lot of the incompatibility issues are a result of the Python programming language constantly being updated so NVDA has to keep up with that. If an addon developer stops working on an addon, the only solution is to find another developer willing to work on it and that isn't always an easy task. I know this isn't very helpful news but hopefully this explains why the addons world isn't perfect..

On Wed, Sep 8, 2021 at 10:41 PM William <xsuper.sillyx@...> wrote:
Hello, especially for nvda developers and addon developers,

Thanks to lots of addon that enhanced my productivity.

The current situation is that, some of the addon that I am using is not
supporting the latest nvda 2021.1 and are forced to be blocked by nvda.

To my understanding, some of these addons are not really "having
compatibility issue", it is only not updated the addon file to state
that the addon is supporting the latest nvda, am i right?

Can we have a mechanism to make these addons being maintained, even

if the developer ignored it or forget to update it?

Thanks,

William

Fawaz Abdul rahman

Hi,
if it is just a matter of the flag, then you can edit the manifest.ini file yourself and it should work properly.
However, if you are not sure how to do it or what to do, send the addons you have issues with, and someone may be able to help you.
good luck.

On Thu, Sep 9, 2021 at 8:41 AM William <xsuper.sillyx@...> wrote:
Hello, especially for nvda developers and addon developers,

Thanks to lots of addon that enhanced my productivity.

The current situation is that, some of the addon that I am using is not
supporting the latest nvda 2021.1 and are forced to be blocked by nvda.

To my understanding, some of these addons are not really "having
compatibility issue", it is only not updated the addon file to state
that the addon is supporting the latest nvda, am i right?

Can we have a mechanism to make these addons being maintained, even

if the developer ignored it or forget to update it?

Thanks,

William

William

Well, do you mean rename the .addon file to .zip,

unzip it,

use text editor to open the .ini file

edit the line last tested version to thelatest nvda version

then zip the folder back to  a .zip file and rename to a .addon file?

Fawaz Abdul rahman 於 9/9/2021 17:10 寫道:

[...]

if you have the addons installed, you just need to go to the NVDA configuration directory.
there you can find the addons folder.
In short, find the addon you want to edit the manifest file, enter the folder and edit the file using a text editor such as notepad.
good luck.

On Thu, Sep 9, 2021 at 3:55 PM William <xsuper.sillyx@...> wrote:

[...]

Gene

As far as I know, you can’t install incompatible add-ons.  I get a message, before installation can proceed, that the add-on has been blocked because of incompatibility.

Sent: Thursday, September 09, 2021 9:10 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] not constantly maintained addon and compatibility issue

[...]

Roger Stewart

If you have a program like 7Zip, you can just open the archive which will let you see into the zip file without opening it. Then you can find the manifest.ini file and edit it and then save the changes and now you have an nvda add on with an updated manifest.ini file and you can then install it as long as it is really compatible with the new version of nvda.

Roger

Sent: Thursday, September 09, 2021 9:10 AM

On Thu, Sep 9, 2021 at 01:41 AM, William wrote:
Can we have a mechanism to make these addons being maintained, even if the developer ignored it or forget to update it?
-
You do realize that what you propose is a logical impossibility, don't you?

If all the necessary maintenance is amounts to doing what's proposed later, that is updating the manifest and doing testing with the current version of NVDA, then the developer (whether the original one or someone else) has updated what needs to be updated.

The problem is that there are some add-ons that have been abandoned by their original developer and have not, at least as yet, been picked up by someone else.  If and when they do, then that person or those persons will again be maintaining the add-on.

While I commend those willing to try editing the manifest files as a workaround, that's precisely what it is if no one is maintaining the actual code.  Eventually, a manifest tweak will not be enough.  Right now it is for certain add-ons, but that will not last as time marches on.  Someone else has to pick up maintenance on the code if it is to remain viable over the long term.

         ~Martin Luther King, Jr.

Hi all,

This reminds me of a message posted throughout the NVDA Community a few months ago:

While you can tell NVDA that an add-on is compatible by editing its manifest, not all add-ons will work after you do this. For example, if you think an add-on should be compatible yet is written in Python 2, it will not work because Python itself cannot run add-on modules. Most importantly, even if an add-on is written in Python 3, if it uses removed NVDA features, it will not run properly.

The amount of effort required to get an add-on supported and running well depends on how the add-on source code is structured and features in use. For example, I spent the last 24 hours just updating Clock add-on to use newer NVDA technologies and to clean up the code (time spent includes testing changes), and I plan to optimize the add-on further for speed (this takes more time to do so because it involves techniques not many add-on developers use; one such technique is Python bytecode disassembly).

At this time, I would like to suggest that you tell us names of add-ons that are not working with NVDA 2021.1, and the community will find out if updates are available or someone can maintain them. Also, if you haven't, I advise installing Add-on Updater so you can receive latest add-on updates as they become available.

Cheers,

Joseph

William

Joseph and all,

Thanks for all the reply.

The addon that I used to reply on and was blocked in nvda 2021.1 was as follows:

1. EnhancedPhoneticReading

2 beepKeyboard

3 Number Processing

4 ToolbarsExplorer

Thanks

William

Well, I dont think what I proposed is something illogical.

As you also stated that, some addon can use  the manifest  trick to make it usable at the current version, so this is already an solution to my issue above.

Some user who do not have coding knowledge at least can help to test if a addon is working in new nvda by changing the manifest .ini, and if it is working, they can inform the community about this.

To move forward, those can also help to edit the manifest and post to the community the edited version of addon, cause not everyone may have the ability to do so.

If this is not possible, at least please make a detailed instruction to all the user if they wanna do the manifest  trick.

Brian Vogel 於 9/9/2021 22:58 寫道:

[...]

Thanks, but what about addon that is not installed yet?
Fawaz Abdul rahman 於 9/9/2021 22:10 寫道:

On Fri, Sep 10, 2021 at 01:39 AM, William wrote:
Well, I dont think what I proposed is something illogical.
-
You asked:  "Can we have a mechanism to make these addons being maintained, even if the developer ignored it or forget to update it?"

If you can't see how asking for maintenance when there's no one maintaining something is logically impossible . . .

And Joseph Lee described, in great detail, why editing manifests is, at very best, a temporary workaround.

If a given add-on is abandoned, and no other maintainer picks up that ball and runs with it, then it is the wise course of action to find a different add-on or ask if someone else can pick it up for ongoing maintenance.  But you can't logically have something maintained and not maintained at the same time.

I think it would be great if there were some sort of formal mechanism available for add-on developers who wish to retire from maintaining any given add-on to announce that to the development community seeking someone to take it over.  Even then, if there were no takers, that add-on is done as soon as there is a backward-compatibility-breaking release of NVDA.

         ~Martin Luther King, Jr.

Janet Brandly

Hi,

The Phonetic reading app is a great little program. It does work with the latest NVDA. I can't speak to the others other than to say to try them anyway, even though the description may say that they are not compatible.

Janet