Now official: goodbye, NVDA community - retiring from code contributions

Hello NVDA users,

A few months ago I announced my retirement from actively contributing code to NVDA screen reader. However Windows 11 was announced in June, so I decided to stay for a while to assist Nv Access with Windows 11 support. Now that NVDA 2021.2 is here with preliminary Windows 11 support and after spending some time in graduate school education, I can now make it official:

Goodbye, NVDA community.

Although I’m moving on from contributions, I’ll still be around somewhere – reading, writing, research, and other activities I might be doing. The NVDA community has been a valuable part of my life for the last nine years. Although I’m closing a chapter in my life, the memories I had with you are too valuable to forget. In some ways, I’m following the footsteps of Jamie Teh, one of the founders of Nv Access and now at Mozilla – although I’ll be focusing on other life priorities, I’m open to providing advice from time to time. Remember what I taught you for the last few years: use the product to its full potential, and NonVisual Desktop Access is not just a screen reader – it is a global movement.

I hope to publish what to expect from my add-ons next before making room for the next group of contributors and experts – add-on maintenance is the unfinished business, and I hope to pass on most add-ons to the community by end of this year.

Thank you, NVDA community, for everything you’ve done for me and giving me a chance to make a difference for you for the last decade.

Cheers,

Joseph

Joseph S. Lee

Certified NVDA Expert, 2019

Volunteer code contributor, translator, and community add-ons author and reviewer, NonVisual Desktop Access screen reader project (June 2012 to September 2021)

Graduate student and speech and debate coach, California State University, Los Angeles (August 2021 to present)

Windows Insider (October 2014 to present)

Former moderator, NVDA users list (2013 to 2016)

Founding chair, NVDACon (2014 to 2016)

Member, NVDA Council (2019 to present)

Luis Carlos González Moráles

Joseph, I really don't have words to really congratulate your work you've did almost this entire decade! Thank you a billion, eaven a quintillion! tymes for all the work you've put on this amazing masterpiece of work I call a free, open source screen reader

Joseph Lee wrote:

[...]

Steve Wettlaufer

Thank you for everything you've done.  Your work is one of the reasons I'm happy to be a user and a monthly donor.

Steve

On 2021-09-14 8:46 a.m., Joseph Lee wrote:

Hello NVDA users,

[...]

Joseph,

        Best of luck in wherever the future may take you!  Closing one chapter of life and opening another is always full of mixed feelings, but it's the surest way to personal growth!

         ~Martin Luther King, Jr.

Rosemarie Chavarria

Hi, Joseph,

Thanks so much for everything you’ve done for this great community. Best of luck to you in your new endeavors.

Rosemarie

Sent from Mail for Windows

[...]

God bless you and His infinite mercy i pray for you as always!

--
By God,
were I given all the seven heavens

Mário Navarro

Hi Great Joseph.
You are the best example of a wonderful human being.
Thank you for everything you have done by the NVDA World Community,
long life to Joseph Lee.
thanks.
cheers.

Às 13:46 de 14/09/2021, Joseph Lee escreveu:

[...]

Louise Pfau

Congratulations on your future endeavors.

Louise

Kyle McRorey

Message hello Joseph thank you for all your contributions you have made over the years I've had the pleasure of attending several NVDA conferences with you as a moderator you've always seem to me to be a very nice sealed tell me technically minded and very levelheaded individual individual I look forward to hearing from you in the future

benmoxey@...

I really admire everything you’ve done, Joseph. All the very best for your new adventures!

Cheers

Ben

[...]

Arlene

Hi there: Thanks for all you’ve done. Hope you enjoy your retirement.

Sent from Mail for Windows

[...]

Sharad Koirala

hi,

thanks for all your contributions and all the best for your future career.

sincerely,

On 9/15/21, Arlene <nedster66@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Dr. Sharad Koirala
Lecturer
Department of Community Medicine
Gandaki Medical College, Pokhara, Nepal

anthony borg

Hi Joseph

Many thanks for all the great work you have done for us, good luck for your future career.

Kind regards

Anthony