Topics

NVDA 2016.3 not working - help?

Gerry Neustatl

Hi all

I have been using NVDA for years. I use a Windows 7 machine with current Firefox and have updated to NVDA 2016.3. It no longer works for me.

When I start NVDA I hear the piano arpeggio as usual, and the page title is read. After that nothing else is read. For example:

·         Hitting the “H” key reads “H” rather than navigating to the first page heading

·         Tabbing through the page moves focus but nothing is announced

I am not sure if this is a bug with NVDA, Firefox or my computer audio settings, but suspect it’s an NVDA issue.

Has anyone experienced something like this? Suggestions?

Cheers in advance, Gerry

ABC

Gerry Neustatl
Accessibility SME/Senior XP Designer, Digital Design

+61 2 8333 3433

+61 414 887 627

neustatl.gerry@...

-

The information contained in this email and any attachment is confidential and may contain legally privileged or copyright material. It is intended only for the use of the addressee(s). If you are not the intended recipient of this email, you are not permitted to disseminate, distribute or copy this email or any attachments. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete this email from your system. The ABC does not represent or warrant that this transmission is secure or virus free. Before opening any attachment you should check for viruses. The ABC's liability is limited to resupplying any email and attachments.

Jacob Kruger

Does it work/cooperate in the rest of the windows interface, like start menu, file explorer, etc.?

Alternatively, just in case, you could try the NVDA key + R triple press to reset it to factory settings, just in case?

Stay well

Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker
Skype: BlindZA
On 2016-10-13 3:40 AM, Gerry Neustatl wrote:

Hi all

[...]

Brian's Mail list account

We have had a couple of people with this issue, but nobody who is in the dev team can make it happen to them. Needs more investigation. What does a portable version of the previous version do?
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

[ABC]<http://www.abc.net.au/>

[http://www.abc.net.au/corp/enter/img/brandsignature.jpg]<http://www.abc.net.au/corp/enter/emailsignature/promo.htm>

-

The information contained in this email and any attachment is confidential and may contain legally privileged or copyright material. It is intended only for the use of the addressee(s). If you are not the intended recipient of this email, you are not permitted to disseminate, distribute or copy this email or any attachments. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete this email from your system. The ABC does not represent or warrant that this transmission is secure or virus free. Before opening any attachment you should check for viruses. The ABC's liability is limited to resupplying any email and attachments.

Brian's Mail list account

Found this, does it help?
Just reiterating that for 64-bit systems, the following (from an admin command prompt) did the trick:
C:\Windows\SysWOW64 regsvr32 oleacc.dll
-

[...]

Thanks for your reply Brian. Do you mean NVDA on a flash dress be? I don't have a portable version of the previous version so can't test this.

I can confirm that it seems to have kicked in this afternoon though. I can't explain it but it seems to have started working some time, like a few hours, after a refresh to default factory settings.

Hopefully it'll continue to work normally.

Cheers Gerry

On 13 Oct. 2016, at 17:55, Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...> wrote:

We have had a couple of people with this issue, but nobody who is in the dev team can make it happen to them. Needs more investigation. What does a portable version of the previous version do?
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Gerry Neustatl" <Neustatl.Gerry@...>
[...]

Yes most odd unless perhaps when you restarted the machine it re registered that file I spoke about in the last email that re registers the api file for windows screenreaders.

I've most certainly been having some very odd results when switching to full screen as well though and really, I've no idea firstly why it goes to full screen and also why on some pages it only readd s links or nothing at all. It is suspicious to me that Firfox has updated to version 49 and 50 on the affected machines so I smell a rat here!
[...]

Hi

Does it happen in other applications as well or just in mozilla fire fox?

When you go into other applications does it speak the menus correctly or you can navigate with the arrow keys?

Do you get the same result in other browsers with it not speaking? You probably have mentioned it but what operating system and version of nvda?

Gene nz

On 13/10/2016 2:40 PM, Gerry Neustatl wrote:

[...]

Sharni-Lee Ward

For the record, I'm running Windows 7 64 bit and the latest Firefox, as well as NVDA 2016.3, and have no problems with Firefox. None. Nada. I don't know what the problem could be for this person but I know I don't have it.

On 14/10/2016 6:08 AM, Gene New Zealand wrote:

[...]

nasrin khaksar

hi.
this the same issue for me!
nvda does not read any content in firefox, arrow keys dont work and
single letter navigations dont work also!
even it cant read the content of any webpage.
i posted this problem here before and i tested with firefox 39 until 41!
it happens with fresh install and if you update it from previous
versions its no problem.
the only problem is with fresh install of this version of nvda 2016.3

neustatl.gerry@...<mailto:neustatl.gerry@...>

--
Check out my website for nvda tutorials and other blindness related material
at http://www.accessibilitycentral.net

holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
in the very authentic narration is:
al-islam.org

Brian's Mail list account

Are you sure that the registry command given earlier in thisthread dooes not fix this?
I don't see what the difference is between a fresh install of nvda and an update to an older one. The files concerned don't seem to have been updated for a long time, ie the ones that create the vitual buffer etc.
There has to be some other thing that those who get this effect have that the rest do not have or something.
[...]

yes.
i am sure about this.
i mean for example if you install nvda 2016.3 when you installed the
previous version, there is no problem.
but if you completely uninstall nvda, remove its settings, and even
remove iaccessible2.dll and also delete nvda in documents and
settings, user, appdata, you cant use firefox.
and also when you install windows and want to use firefox with nvda you cant!