Topics

NVDA 2019.3 Beta 3 now available

Quentin Christensen

Hi everyone,

As you are all quick off the mark, this isn't completely new news, but confirming that yes, NVDA 2019.3 beta 3 is now available from: https://www.nvaccess.org/post/nvda-2019-3beta3-now-available-for-testing/

This is slight progression from the previous beta so you shouldn't notice too many big changes - of course as always happens, as we move closer to the final release, we don't put as many big new features in, but rather try to ensure that everything is stable and fix bugs people have reported in previous betas.

If you do encounter any issues, please do report them: https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues  If you could also clarify whether they are new issues or existing issues (which hadn't previously been reported) that would be really helpful - both are important to know about, but being able to pinpoint when something started being an issue helps narrow down where to look for a fix.

All things going well, this will be the last beta before the release candidate, which will be just before the final stable release.

Kind regards

Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Rosemarie Chavarria

I just downloaded it and it's working great for me.

[...]

David Ingram

cn chances. P.S. also will nativeaccess bbe one of the other programs supported and documented as well?

[...]

From the inquiries I made, it looks like Native Access is actually accessible.  I got some resources on it:

Firstly, https://kk-access.com/ has information about the new accessibility mode and how to set it up.

Here is a YouTube video which might help: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHdDgwp4OTU

There is an email group for support: komplete-kontrol-access+subscribe@...

If you are still having problems, it might be worth asking on that email list,as they seemed quite enthusiastic about its accessibility.

Unfortunately I haven't used it myself, so I can't comment directly either way.

Quentin.

On Thu, Jan 30, 2020 at 12:03 PM David Ingram <dingram269@...> wrote:
[...]

Robert Mendoza

Hi, Quentin

Thanks for the info however, I have clarification to ask if you don't mind.
Even so, if we are almost in the stable build version would there be a chance that the addons of the Remote also to be part of the update?

[...]

Hi Robert,

Thanks for the question.  Firstly, for everyone, We've pushed out a couple of pull requests to update NVDARemote for 2019.3, so that will be available for the stable version.

As to including NVDA Remote into NVDA itself, even though many users use it frequently and it is vital for some users, it is not something we are looking at bringing into core at this point, One reason for this is we have a number of users in corporate environments and we would get a lot of pushback from them (or their IT people at least) on updating NVDA to a version with that functionality.

The main thing is that the functionality will continue to be available going forward, even though at this point that will still involve the separate add-on.

Regards

Quentin.

On Thu, Jan 30, 2020 at 1:59 PM Robert Mendoza <lowvisiontek@...> wrote:

[...]

This is noted. I appreciate of your diligent response
but before I letting off you go for this topic. I still have one more question from you. Smile.
Since we are close to stable phase of the nvda 2019.3
would there be a chance that the addons for the Remote will be release at the same time?

[...]

Yes it should be.

On Thu, Jan 30, 2020 at 3:29 PM Robert Mendoza <lowvisiontek@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi.
I found a problem with beta3 which didn't exist in the previous beta.
We seam to have an issue with the address bar of google chrome canary.
If we use the left and right arrow keys to read the address we just typed, or if we want to make changes, the error sound plays and nvda doesn't read any characters.

Fortunately chrome stable works fine which is the one most people are using.
Thanks
Nikos

On Thu, 30 Jan 2020 at 02:49, Quentin Christensen <quentin@...> wrote:
[...]

Margus Ojaots

hi. i am using eloquence for school. When nvda next version comes out,
can i still use eloquence?
Thanks

wrote:

[...]

Web: www.nvaccess.org

hurrikennyandopo ...

Hi

As long as it is python 3 compatible

I believe the paid version is meant to be or not far off it. I do not use it but others do on the list so they may be able to give more info.

Gene nz

.

wrote:

[...]

Ralf Kefferpuetz

Hi Quentin,

Reading by character stopped for me in this version as well as in any alpha version newer than 28th Jan.

Cheers,

Ralf

[...]

are you talking about the add on that after a second or 2 would say the letter  it was on like A  for alfa B for bravo etc.

I just can not think what that add on name was called.

are you aware also you can find out what the letter is on the numeric keypad if using the review cursor

Hitting the number 2 of the numeric keypad 2 times would say it like that or 5 on the numeric key pad would do the word if hit 3 times..

Gene nz

On 30/01/2020 9:47 pm, Ralf Kefferpuetz wrote:

[...]

Found the problem at my end. Disabling following addon did the trick:

Speech history review and copying; Status: Enabled; Version: 2019.03.30; Author: Tyler Spivey, James Scholes 28 of 38

[...]

Rui Fontes

And it is not possible to make what Freedom Scientific have made?

One version with remote access and another without?

That way the companies and institutions can install the version without remote access while the majority of users will install the complete version with the remote access...

Rui Fontes

Às 04:29 de 30/01/2020, Robert Mendoza escreveu:

[...]

Robert Doc Wright godfearer

Should I then ignore the warning that Windows Defender is giving when it blocks the latest NVDA remote, claiming that there is a severe trojen?

******

My drinking team has a bowling problem.

Check out Family times on TuneIn or at this address:

http://www.wrighthere.net

[...]

Hello!

The problem is not how to know what character is...

The problem is that this NVDA version causes a serious problem and we are not yet absolutly sure which add-on is the culpry... and why...

For me, it is a show stopper problem...

Rui Fontes

NVDA portuguese team

Às 09:05 de 30/01/2020, hurrikennyandopo ... escreveu:

[...]

What you can do right now is turn off windows defender, unzip the addon into a empty folder, select all the files in that folder, and zip it back up then rename the file to nvda-addon.

Make sure you zip up the files and not make a new folder and zip that up because it won't work then.

Anyway after you do that, it works.

Its a bit more to do but it seems to fix it.

The only thing that makes sence is its the zipping program used, but who knows.

I have always used 7zip for zip and unzip opperations and use the 7z format for most things these days as do my friends.

On 31/01/2020 1:11 am, Robert Doc Wright godfearer wrote:

[...]

Re the NVDARemote addon being detected as a trojan - this issue was rectified by Microsoft last week (or earlier, but at least last week, a day or so after it was reported anyway) - it should be fine now.  I just downloaded it and it's not being detected as a trojan here.  If anyone is still having that problem, please do let me know.

Re the question about couldn't we make a version of NVDA with Remote built-in and one without.  Theoretically, sure, although essentially that would be similar to now where you can download NVDA (as is) to have the version without Remote, and download the NVDARemote add-on to have the functionality. I'm not saying we're not willing to change it, just that essentially users have the choice currently of whether they want the functionality.