Topics

NVDA 2019.3 released

Quentin Christensen

Hi everyone,

NV Access is very pleased to present the long awaited next installment of the world's most popular screen reader:  NVDA 2019.3!

NVDA 2019.3 is a very significant release containing many under-the-hood changes including the upgrade of Python 2 to Python 3, and a major re-write of NVDA’s speech subsystem. Although these changes do break compatibility with older NVDA add-ons, the upgrade to Python 3 is necessary for security, and the changes to speech allow for some exciting innovations in the near future.

Other highlights in this release include 64 bit support for Java VMs, Screen Curtain and Focus Highlight functionality, support for more braille displays and a new Braille viewer, and many many other bug fixes.

Please note, after updating any software, it is a good idea to restart the computer. Restart by going to the Shutdown dialog, selecting “restart” and pressing ENTER. Updating software can change files which are in use. This can lead to instability and strange behaviour which is resolved by rebooting. This is the first thing to try if you do notice anything odd after updating.

To read the full release, and download NVDA, please see the announcement at: https://www.nvaccess.org/post/nvda-2019-3-released/

Kind regards

Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

hi quentin.
i am very glad about this news!
while the best version for me as i always mentioned is 2017.2, but i
became very delighted to hear the news and wanted to appreciate you as
always!
i never forget praying for you, God bless you and His infinite mercy i
pray for you!

[...]

NVDA 2019.3 rc2 now available for testing:
https://www.nvaccess.org/post/nvda-2019-3rc2-now-available-for-testing/

Web: www.nvaccess.org

By God,
were I given all the seven heavens
with all they contain
in order that
I may disobey God
by depriving an ant
from the husk of a grain of barley,
I would not do it.
imam ali

Pascal Lambert

Good morning Quentin,

Please, where can one download an Eloquent synthesizer  version that is compatible with NVDA 2019.3?

I tried to donate this morning and I found the spin button did not work for me.  Why can’t we use a combo box to choose the amount and another one to choose whether it is a monthly or single donation?

Many thanks

Blessings

Pascal

[...]

molly the blind tech lover

It’s out . . . Yes!

Can’t wait to download it 😀

[...]

Margus Ojaots

i am little bit worried. i use eloquence for school, should i update?

<brainardmolly@...>:

It’s out . . . Yes!

Can’t wait to download it 😀

[...]

Web: <http://www.nvaccess.org/> www.nvaccess.org

Gerardo Corripio

I don’t plan to update mine, until the Vocalizer bug is squashed. Apart from the upgrade to Python, I don’t see any significant changes so as to go ahead and update, though the curiosity is there of course!

Gera
Enviado desde mi iPhone SE de Telcel

El 10 feb 2020, a la(s) 6:21 a.m., zahra <nasrinkhaksar3@...> escribió:

[...]

CARLOS-ESTEBAN

Hello.

Thanks, i go to update my NVDA!

Thanks.

El 10/02/2020 a las 6:44, Quentin Christensen escribió:
[...]

Just thought I'd post this as it is a first for me:  NVDA would not update from the "in NVDA" update process.  It failed and said to see the log.

I downloaded the new installer and that worked perfectly, and without having to uninstall the existing NVDA installation.  I probably should have posted this before going that route, as I believe I've probably now overwritten the log.  However, if the log is appended to, and anyone on the development team would like for me to send them a copy, just let me know.  I won't likely be using NVDA at all additionally today so the log is going to remain however it happens to be at the moment.

As a completely unrelated aside, can anyone tell me why NVDA announces, "Switch to USB Dialog Adapter Combo Box," as the first thing after starting virtually every time?  I've grown used to it, but I cannot for the life of me figure out what it thinks it has focus on such that this is what is announced.  And that quote is verbatim.

       ~ Madonna

Robert Doc Wright godfearer

On my laptop it updated just fine. On my desktop it is asking me to register. Register what? That is all that it says no matter what key I hit. Both pc’s are running windows 10 pro.

******

If we can't look at ourselves, and ask, why?  then where does the learning start?

[...]

Tyler Spivey

My guess is you have one of the paid synths. Press NVDA+ctrl+s, w, enter and it should switch you to OneCore and you can debug from there, and complain to the manufacturer of the synth that their registration message is unclear and makes your computer unusable.

On 2/10/2020 8:52 AM, Robert Doc Wright godfearer wrote:

[...]

Rosemarie Chavarria

Wow, that's weird. It updated on my desktop just fine.

[...]

Gary

I'm at a crossroads here.  The security and "under the hood" changes makes me want to upgrade immediately, but losing my add-ons will make my use of NVDA for my job extremely cumbersome.

Gary

Roger Stewart

I only lost one add on and that didn't last for long. All of mine worked just fine except the Dropbox add on.  I downloaded the latest Dev version of it and it is now working fine again.
Roger

On 2/10/2020 11:30 AM, Gary wrote:
I'm at a crossroads here.  The security and "under the hood" changes makes me want to upgrade immediately, but losing my add-ons will make my use of NVDA for my job extremely cumbersome.

Gary

Gary Metzler

Hi Quentin,

So far everything is working as it should.  Thank the team for a job well done.  Thanks,

[...]

Richard Wells

The switch to USB adapter is something I experience on one of my computers that has a Netgear USB wireless adapter connected. If you also have one of these, that may be why you are seeing this.

On Mon, Feb 10, 2020 at 02:26 PM, Richard Wells wrote:
The switch to USB adapter is something I experience on one of my computers that has a Netgear USB wireless adapter connected.
Thanks for this data point.  In my case, it definitely does not apply.

       ~ Madonna

Quentin Christensen

Hi Brian,

I'd be interested in the log if you still have it.  They should be in the %temp% directory - the log for either the currently running, or most recently running session of NVDA, is nvda.log,  The log from the time before that is nvda-old.log

Which version were you updating from?

On Tue, Feb 11, 2020 at 2:14 AM Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:
[...]

Hi Pascal,

You can get the official Eloquence add-on from: https://codefactoryglobal.com/app-store/voices-for-nvda/

Re the combo box, someone else reported the same thing, although I can't replicate it myself.  Are you in the donation section of the download page, or the donation page?