Topics

NVDA 2020.2 and Word Track Changes: finding the issue in Github

Sylvie Duchateau

Hello Quentin, Sandra and all,

Thank your Quentin for noting that the issue already exists.

As already noted to Sandra, I had tested on NVDA 2019.2 and 2019.3 and shift+A worked.

But as you noted in the issue on Github it does not work with NVDA 2020.2.

So my question: in order to avoid duplicated issue what is the best way to find if an issue has already been posted on that subject or not?

You will answer, searching in the Github issues, but you have to type the words that were used for the issue.

For example, if I look for shift+A does not work, I am not sure that I would find the issue it is related to.

Any hints on writing issues and not duplicating?

Best

Sylvie

De : nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> De la part de Quentin Christensen via groups.io
Envoyé : mercredi 5 août 2020 09:21
À : nvda@nvda.groups.io
Objet : Re: [nvda] NVDA 2020.2 and Word Track Changes

Hi Sandra,

GitHub is not difficult to use.  You do need to create an account, but that simply requires and email address and password, as most sites do these days.

As it happens though, this isn't actually a new bug, and there is an issue for it: https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues/7342  

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Tue, Aug 4, 2020 at 3:06 AM Sandra Pilz <sandra914481@...> wrote:

Hi Sarah,

No, I didn't file this on gidhub, I'm not familiar with the site.

Regards

Sandra

Von meinem iPhone gesendet

Am 03.08.2020 um 18:38 schrieb Sarah k Alawami <marrie12@...>:

Did you bug this on the github page? If so can you provide the link?

--

Sarah Alawami, owner of TFFP. . For more info go to our website.

Check out my adventures with a shadow machine.

to subscribe to the feed click here and you can also follow us on twitter

Our discord is where you will know when we go live on twitch. Feel free to give the channel a follow and see what is up there.

For stream archives, products you can buy and more visit my main lbry page and my tffp lbry page You will also be able to buy some of my products and eBooks there.

Finally, to become a patron and help support the podcast go here

On 3 Aug 2020, at 9:34, Sandra Pilz wrote:

Hi Sylvie,

Thank you for trying it. Probably we can assume that it's a new bug in the current version of NVDA. 

Thanks for confirmming. 

Regards

Sandra

Am 03.08.2020 um 16:55 schrieb Sylvie Duchateau <sduchateau@...>:

Hello Sandra and all,

I use Office 365 in French with NVDA 2020.2.

I tested what you describe on a word document with track changes enabled.

I noticed the same as you mentioned:

While typing a to jump to the next change, everything is ok.

However, going backwards with shift+a jumps to the first change and does not go to all others.

I tested the same document with nvda 2019.2 and 2019.3, and the shortcut works properly.

I can’t explain what the problem is.

Best

Sylvie

De : nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> De la part de Sandra Pilz via groups.io
Envoyé : lundi 3 août 2020 14:27
Objet : [nvda] NVDA 2020.2 and Word Track Changes

Hi,

I am using the current version of NVDA, 2020.2. When I am in a word document with track changes enabled, I can go to reading mode and press a to go to the next change and again to the next change and so on. However, I can't move to the previous change. When I press shift+a, NVDA will tell me no changes were found, although it took me through them when I went forward using just a.

I am using Office 365. Also, I'm using a German version of NVDA, so I don't know if the key to cycle through changes is different in the English version. However, A is the correct key in my version.

Can I do something to solve this, or is this a new bug?

Regards

Sandra

--

Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Quentin Christensen

Hi Sylvie,

Good question - and one to which there is no easy answer.  Probably the best I can think of is what are the most common words someone might use in describing the problem.  So for this one, shift+a is good as that is the exact keystroke which is misbehaving.  Annotation could also work since that's NVDA's name for the command.

If you're unsure, feel free to post here as that way you can also find out if anyone else is experiencing it, and if THEY have already reported it, or perhaps find an answer.  At worst, if you post an issue and it already exists, someone will see it, realise it's a duplicate, and close it as such, pointing you to the open issue.

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Thu, Aug 6, 2020 at 5:29 PM Sylvie Duchateau <sduchateau@...> wrote:

Hello Quentin, Sandra and all,

Thank your Quentin for noting that the issue already exists.

As already noted to Sandra, I had tested on NVDA 2019.2 and 2019.3 and shift+A worked.

But as you noted in the issue on Github it does not work with NVDA 2020.2.

So my question: in order to avoid duplicated issue what is the best way to find if an issue has already been posted on that subject or not?

You will answer, searching in the Github issues, but you have to type the words that were used for the issue.

For example, if I look for shift+A does not work, I am not sure that I would find the issue it is related to.

Any hints on writing issues and not duplicating?

Best

Sylvie

De : nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> De la part de Quentin Christensen via groups.io
Envoyé : mercredi 5 août 2020 09:21
Objet : Re: [nvda] NVDA 2020.2 and Word Track Changes

Hi Sandra,

GitHub is not difficult to use.  You do need to create an account, but that simply requires and email address and password, as most sites do these days.

As it happens though, this isn't actually a new bug, and there is an issue for it: https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues/7342  

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Tue, Aug 4, 2020 at 3:06 AM Sandra Pilz <sandra914481@...> wrote:

Hi Sarah,

No, I didn't file this on gidhub, I'm not familiar with the site.

Regards

Sandra

Am 03.08.2020 um 18:38 schrieb Sarah k Alawami <marrie12@...>:

Did you bug this on the github page? If so can you provide the link?

--

Sarah Alawami, owner of TFFP. . For more info go to our website.

Check out my adventures with a shadow machine.

to subscribe to the feed click here and you can also follow us on twitter

Our discord is where you will know when we go live on twitch. Feel free to give the channel a follow and see what is up there.

For stream archives, products you can buy and more visit my main lbry page and my tffp lbry page You will also be able to buy some of my products and eBooks there.

Finally, to become a patron and help support the podcast go here

On 3 Aug 2020, at 9:34, Sandra Pilz wrote:

Hi Sylvie,

Thank you for trying it. Probably we can assume that it's a new bug in the current version of NVDA. 

Thanks for confirmming. 

Regards

Sandra

Am 03.08.2020 um 16:55 schrieb Sylvie Duchateau <sduchateau@...>:

Hello Sandra and all,

I use Office 365 in French with NVDA 2020.2.

I tested what you describe on a word document with track changes enabled.

I noticed the same as you mentioned:

While typing a to jump to the next change, everything is ok.

However, going backwards with shift+a jumps to the first change and does not go to all others.

I tested the same document with nvda 2019.2 and 2019.3, and the shortcut works properly.

I can’t explain what the problem is.

Best

Sylvie

De : nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> De la part de Sandra Pilz via groups.io
Envoyé : lundi 3 août 2020 14:27
Objet : [nvda] NVDA 2020.2 and Word Track Changes

Hi,

I am using the current version of NVDA, 2020.2. When I am in a word document with track changes enabled, I can go to reading mode and press a to go to the next change and again to the next change and so on. However, I can't move to the previous change. When I press shift+a, NVDA will tell me no changes were found, although it took me through them when I went forward using just a.

I am using Office 365. Also, I'm using a German version of NVDA, so I don't know if the key to cycle through changes is different in the English version. However, A is the correct key in my version.

Can I do something to solve this, or is this a new bug?

Regards

Sandra

--

Quentin Christensen

--
Quentin Christensen