Topics

NVDA 2020.3 Beta 4 now available

Quentin Christensen

Good morning everyone,

NVDA 2020.3 Beta 4 is now available for download and testing. For anyone who is interested in trying out what the next version of NVDA has to offer before it is officially released, we welcome you to download the beta and provide feedback.

Changes since Beta3:

- “Automatic focus mode for caret movement” setting is now compatible with disabling “Automatically set focus to focusable elements”.
- Reverted change to SAPI5 synth driver which introduced regressions.
- Updated translations for many languages.

Also please note, it hasn't gotten a mention in the highlights so far, but NVDA 2020.3 also includes an update to eSpeak-NG.  So those who use that synthesizer, please do also consider trying it out.

More info and download links from: https://www.nvaccess.org/post/nvda-2020-3beta4/

Kind regards

Quentin.
--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Louise Pfau

Hi.  I've installed the beta.  I inadvertently overwrote my existing copy.  I have a few questions, and have come across a few minor problems.  I've placed them below my name.

Thanks,

Louise
1.  I noticed that focus mode is not exited when ESCAPE is pressed.  The most recent example of this is the edit fields in the groups.io web interface.

2.  NVDA reads words twice while navigating by word when they precede a punctuation mark.

3.  When I was typing this message in the groups.io interface, a separator line appeared when I inserted a blank line in the text.  At the location of the blank line, NVDA would read the previous line of text.  When I pressed ALT+TAB to go to a different window, then navigated back to the message, the text appeared correctly.

4.  What does the update to the espeak-ng synthesizer do?

Quentin Christensen

Hi Louise,

Replying in the groups.io web editor to test your issues.  Firstly, if you installed the beta and didn't intend to, you can either leave it, and it will update to the release candidate(s) as available.  Or you can download NVDA 2020.2 again from https://www.nvaccess.org/download/ and install it.  The installer will advise that you are installing an older version and warn you against that.  I don't think there should be any problem doing that.

To your questions:

1) I'm guessing you can't press escape to go to Browse mode when you are in the editor to write your message?  I found in the subject title I could press escape to go to browse mode and enter to go back to focus mode.  In the editor, you'll notice NVDA reports "Application".  The editor is marked up as an ARIA application - basically it wants to be treated more like a desktop app, so some keys get treated differently.  You can still change from browse to focus mode and back using NVDA+SPACEBAR.

2) Reading words twice when they have punctuation at the end.  Is that using Chrome?  I found in Firefox moving by word skips over punctuation (ie it always jumps to the start of the next word) but in Chrome and other places, the focus moves from the start of the word to in between the word and the punctuation.  In Chrome it then reads the word again.  I couldn't find an issue for this so I've created one: https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues/11727

3) I couldn't replicate this, but it might be something with groups.io maybe?

Kind regards

Quentin.

Louise Pfau

Hi.  I should have specified that I'm using Microsoft Edge as my browser.

Thanks,

Louise

Quentin Christensen

Ah ok - well most of the thing you noted behaved the same in Chrome as well.  Some were the way the page is setup, and some are a bug, which I reported (feel free to add your version of Edge to that issue to confirm it happens there also).

Kind regards

Quentin.