Topics

NVDA 2020.3: enable selective registration for UA automation events not having any impact in visual studio 2019

Luke Robinett

Hello,
I understand that the enable selective registration of UI automation events option was added to address a problem in visual studio where NVDA reads the entire line of code whenever navigating an IntelliSense menu, making the IntelliSense feature almost unusable. I just enabled this new option and launched visual studio 2019 but this same problematic behavior is still occurring. Are there any additional settings adjustments I need to make in NVDA or visual studio to get this working?

Thanks,
Luke

Luke Robinett

Edit: typo in the subject. “UA” should have been “UI.”

On Oct 16, 2020, at 11:06 AM, Luke Robinett via groups.io <blindgroupsluke=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:

Hello,
I understand that the enable selective registration of UI automation events option was added to address a problem in visual studio where NVDA reads the entire line of code whenever navigating an IntelliSense menu, making the IntelliSense feature almost unusable. I just enabled this new option and launched visual studio 2019 but this same problematic behavior is still occurring. Are there any additional settings adjustments I need to make in NVDA or visual studio to get this working?

Thanks,
Luke

Hi,
You must restart NVDA for that change to take effect. This is because the thread responsible for facilitating communication between NVDA and UIA cannot be stopped unless you do it manually from Python Console, and the best way to achieve this is restarting NVDA.
Cheers,
Joseph

Edit: typo in the subject. “UA” should have been “UI.”

On Oct 16, 2020, at 11:06 AM, Luke Robinett via groups.io <blindgroupsluke=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:

Hello,
I understand that the enable selective registration of UI automation events option was added to address a problem in visual studio where NVDA reads the entire line of code whenever navigating an IntelliSense menu, making the IntelliSense feature almost unusable. I just enabled this new option and launched visual studio 2019 but this same problematic behavior is still occurring. Are there any additional settings adjustments I need to make in NVDA or visual studio to get this working?

Thanks,
Luke

Luke Robinett

Hi Joseph,
I restarted the PC before trying it out. Any other reasons why it might not be working? Thanks again.

Luke

On Oct 16, 2020, at 11:31 AM, Joseph Lee <@joslee> wrote:

[...]

The whole point of selective UIA event registration flag is to limit NVDA to processing events for foreground UIA elements i.e. the app you are using. This works best in Visual Studio, not really Visual Studio Code as it poses a different set of problems. This flag also introduced regressions for emoji panel users, therefore I wrote a workaround in my add-on to deal with this scenario.
[...]

Hi again Joseph,
Just to avoid confusion and make sure we are on the same page, I am indeed talking about visual studio 2019, not visual studio code. There’s a long-standing problem where NVDA will read the entire line of code as you try to scroll through an IntelliSense menu. the expected behavior would be for it to just read the menu item you selected. My understanding was this UI automation option we’re discussing was to enable this behavior to work correctly, but maybe that’s not the case?

On Oct 16, 2020, at 12:23 PM, Joseph Lee <@joslee> wrote:

[...]

Ah, I see.
Nope - that fix is included in 2020.4 alpha if I'm reading what's new document correctly.
[...]

Oh, that’s fantastic news! Thank you

rowen brian

Hello
The parameter prompt of the method cannot be read out, press Ctrl +k, Ctrl+P

Luke Robinett

Yeah. Honestly there are a lot of problems with NVDA and visual studio. I am amazed I am as productive as I am in that software given I don’t have access to even a fraction of what cited users do because of the lack of support.