Topics

NVDA 2020.3 RC1 released

Quentin Christensen

Hi all,

NVDA 2020.3rc1 has been released. This is a release candidate, and unless any critical issues are found, this will be identical to the 2020.3 release.  I would encourage everyone to test this release please.

There are improvements to stability and performance, particularly in Office.  eSpeak-NG has been updated, and there are new touchscreen options.  We've also added new emulated system keys in the input gestures dialog.

More highlights and download links can be found in the release blog post at: https://www.nvaccess.org/post/nvda-2020-3rc1/

Kind regards

Quentin.
--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Joshua Hendrickson

Hi to all. The subject line says it all. When I now use bard express
after updating NVDA I can now hear the entire annotation when going
through a list of books like the recently added books list. This is
so cool. I don't have to use the tab key and tab to the annotation
field any more.
--
Joshua Hendrickson

Joshua Hendrickson

Quentin Christensen

Great to hear it, thanks Joshua!

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Wed, Oct 7, 2020 at 11:56 AM Joshua Hendrickson <louvins@...> wrote:
Hi to all.  The subject line says it all.  When I now use bard express
after updating NVDA I can now hear the entire annotation when going
through a list of books like the recently added books list.  This is
so cool.  I don't have to use the tab key and tab to the annotation
field any more.
--
Joshua Hendrickson

Joshua Hendrickson

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

molly the blind tech lover

The RC is working great here on my pc.

Thank you for all that you do.

NVDA 2020.3rc1 has been released. This is a release candidate, and unless any critical issues are found, this will be identical to the 2020.3 release.  I would encourage everyone to test this release please.

There are improvements to stability and performance, particularly in Office.  eSpeak-NG has been updated, and there are new touchscreen options.  We've also added new emulated system keys in the input gestures dialog.

More highlights and download links can be found in the release blog post at: https://www.nvaccess.org/post/nvda-2020-3rc1/

Kind regards

Quentin.

--

Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Gene

I ran the RC version using the continue running option and I find that a lot of things are being used such as my speech dicgtionary, my speech settings, and I see an add-on installed in another version being used in the preferences menu.

Does NVDA automatically import settings from the installed version when you run the installer?

This may not be new behavior but I never had an installed version on the machine before.

NVDA 2020.3rc1 has been released. This is a release candidate, and unless any critical issues are found, this will be identical to the 2020.3 release. I would encourage everyone to test this release please.

There are improvements to stability and performance, particularly in Office. eSpeak-NG has been updated, and there are new touchscreen options. We've also added new emulated system keys in the input gestures dialog.

More highlights and download links can be found in the release blog post at: https://www.nvaccess.org/post/nvda-2020-3rc1/

Kind regards

Quentin.
--

Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Web: www.nvaccess.org
Twitter: @NVAccess

Felix G.

Hello Gene and list,
yes, this is normal behavior. When you run NVDA from the installer, it
uses the preferences stored in your user profile just like an
installed version would,
Best,
Felix

Am Mi., 7. Okt. 2020 um 07:01 Uhr schrieb Gene <gsasner@...>:

[...]

Rosemarie Chavarria

It’s working great on my computer too.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

NVDA 2020.3rc1 has been released. This is a release candidate, and unless any critical issues are found, this will be identical to the 2020.3 release.  I would encourage everyone to test this release please.

There are improvements to stability and performance, particularly in Office.  eSpeak-NG has been updated, and there are new touchscreen options.  We've also added new emulated system keys in the input gestures dialog.

More highlights and download links can be found in the release blog post at: https://www.nvaccess.org/post/nvda-2020-3rc1/

Kind regards

Quentin.

--

Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Gene,

            In addition to what you've observed, which is the normal behavior, those settings, dictionaries, etc., are also retained if you uninstall one version of NVDA and then reinstall another.

            It is most common these days, under Windows, for most programs to store user-selectable settings, add-ons, etc., under the user's AppData folder, not in the program's install folder, so that a "nuke and pave" for the program is not a "nuke and pave" of everything the user has spent a lot of time and effort setting up.  This is particularly handy when the beta versions come out and you may choose to get rid of one and go back to the current released version.  It can be done in minutes and with ease.

     ~ Kelley Boorn

Don H

This seems to be a change since installing NVDA 2020-3 rc1 on my win 10 system with latestest version of TB.  Normally when I open a Email in TB I can use the up and down arrow keys to read a message.  Now it is very incosistent with the arrow keys seemingly to do nothing.  A restart of NVDA solves the problem but keeps coming back to the problem on a random basis.

Quentin Christensen

Hi Don,

Is this a change in the RC from Beta 4, or from NVDA 2020.2?  If you restart NVDA with add-ons disabled, does it make a difference?  If not, it might be worth having a look at your log to see what it's up to.

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Thu, Oct 8, 2020 at 07:18 PM, Quentin Christensen wrote:
Is this a change in the RC from Beta 4
-
Yes, as is standard progression:

1. Alpha/nightly builds.

2. Beta build(s)

3. Release candidate(s)

4. Released/Production version, typically exactly the same as the final beta after it has passed beta testing without any need for change.

     ~ Kelley Boorn

Excuse me, I fat fingered:  Released/Production version, typically exactly the same as the final release candidate (which is sometimes, but not always exactly the same as the final beta).  There can be issues (typically minor) discovered in release candidates that are post-beta, and those often get patched, hence the reason there can be rc1, rc2, rc3, etc.

     ~ Kelley Boorn

Quentin Christensen

Sorry Brian - I didn't write my post clearly - I was trying to ask Don whether he had noticed the change in behaviour in between the last beta and the RC, or whether he had been using NVDA 2020.2 up until he tried the RC.

But yes, your description of the cycle is quite accurate :)  And in answer to what I seemed to ask :)

On Fri, Oct 9, 2020 at 10:49 AM Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:

Excuse me, I fat fingered:  Released/Production version, typically exactly the same as the final release candidate (which is sometimes, but not always exactly the same as the final beta).  There can be issues (typically minor) discovered in release candidates that are post-beta, and those often get patched, hence the reason there can be rc1, rc2, rc3, etc.

     ~ Kelley Boorn

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Quentin,

           I have no idea how I missed that you were the questioner!  If there's anyone who doesn't need any description of the stages of software from start to finish it's you!

     ~ Kelley Boorn

Quentin Christensen

No problem Brian - I guessed you'd missed that - and it's useful to put the information about the cycle out there now and then anyway.