NVDA 2021.1 Beta 1 is now available

Quentin Christensen

Hi everyone,

Beta 1 of NVDA 2021.1 is now available for download and testing. There are many (four paragraphs of) fixes, updates & information (including a note about add-ons) on the release announcement where you can also download the beta: https://www.nvaccess.org/post/nvda-2021-1beta1/

Please do feel encouraged to test it and let us know any issues you find.

Kind regards

Quentin.
--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Hello all,

I will provide some details after visiting dream land, but suffice to say that the add-ons community is working hard to prepare add-ons for NVDA 2021.1. I do know that most of my own add-ons (in particular, Add-on Updater) will not work with NVDA 2021.1 beta 1 at this time, but rest assured that I’m working hard on resolving issues.

Cheers,

Joseph

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Quentin Christensen
Sent: Monday, May 24, 2021 2:35 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] NVDA 2021.1 Beta 1 is now available

Hi everyone,

Beta 1 of NVDA 2021.1 is now available for download and testing. There are many (four paragraphs of) fixes, updates & information (including a note about add-ons) on the release announcement where you can also download the beta: https://www.nvaccess.org/post/nvda-2021-1beta1/

Kind regards

Quentin.

--

Quentin Christensen

Don H

So the Code Factory Vocalizer voices don't work with the beta? What exactly is changing so much to cause so many addon's to not work?

Hi,
The biggest change is restructured speech output management facility that also removed deprecated features. Another big change that affected add-on is upgrade to wxPython GUI toolkit we are using (any add-on with dialogs such as some speech synthesizer add-ons with configuration dialogs are affected).
Cheers,
Joseph

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Don H
Sent: Monday, May 24, 2021 7:14 PM
Subject: [nvda] nvda_2021.1beta

So the Code Factory Vocalizer voices don't work with the beta? What exactly is changing so much to cause so many addon's to not work?

Quentin Christensen

Could there be something else hogging resources on your PC Chris?  Between web pages not displaying and the launcher not working - have you checked what else is running?

Also, are you running any anti-virus software?  It's often worth disabling that before installing new software.

Quentin.

On Tue, May 25, 2021 at 2:37 AM Chris Smart <ve3rwj@...> wrote:

yep, that page opens here now too.

Strangely though, when I hit Enter on the installer, my computer fan speeds up for a couple of seconds as if it's doing something, and then the installer disappears. Nothing else happens. LOL

This is using Windows 10 Pro, version 10.0.19042, on an Intel i& 9700K with 8 cores at 3.6 gHz, 32 GB of ram

I think I'll just wait for beta 2.

Chris

On 2021-05-24 11:50 a.m., P. Otter wrote:
hello, for me it's no problem, i can get the page as usual.
paul otter

Op 24-5-2021 om 15:56 schreef Chris Smart:

Is anyone else having trouble accessing

https://www.nvaccess.org/files/nvda/releases/2021.1beta1/nvda_2021.1beta1_changes.html

Nothing displays when I go to that link.

On 2021-05-24 5:34 a.m., Quentin Christensen wrote:
Hi everyone,

Kind regards

Quentin.
--
Quentin Christensen

--
Quentin Christensen

Chris Smart

Hi.

Well, memory usage is about 9% and CPU idles at 0% so I'm not thinking there is anything significant going on. The fans are nice and quiet too.

I am running Malware Bytes Premium, but if that is interfering with NVDA, that would be a first here. I've never had that problem. Anyway, I'll try disabling Malware Bites and running the installer again.

On 2021-05-24 10:43 p.m., Quentin Christensen wrote:
Could there be something else hogging resources on your PC Chris?  Between web pages not displaying and the launcher not working - have you checked what else is running?

Also, are you running any anti-virus software?  It's often worth disabling that before installing new software.

Quentin.

Strangely though, when I hit Enter on the installer, my computer fan speeds up for a couple of seconds as if it's doing something, and then the installer disappears. Nothing else happens. LOL

This is using Windows 10 Pro, version 10.0.19042, on an Intel i& 9700K with 8 cores at 3.6 gHz, 32 GB of ram

Chris

paul otter

https://www.nvaccess.org/files/nvda/releases/2021.1beta1/nvda_2021.1beta1_changes.html

Hi everyone,

Kind regards

Quentin.
--
Quentin Christensen

--
Quentin Christensen

Quentin Christensen

Someone did report that MalwareBytes was flagging the Colibri voices from Acapela - I assumed it would give a message, but maybe it's not reading it?  It also shouldn't be anything specific with the beta even if it is that.

On Tue, May 25, 2021 at 2:25 PM Chris Smart <ve3rwj@...> wrote:

Hi.

Well, memory usage is about 9% and CPU idles at 0% so I'm not thinking there is anything significant going on. The fans are nice and quiet too.

I am running Malware Bytes Premium, but if that is interfering with NVDA, that would be a first here. I've never had that problem. Anyway, I'll try disabling Malware Bites and running the installer again.

On 2021-05-24 10:43 p.m., Quentin Christensen wrote:

Quentin.

Chris

paul otter

Hi everyone,

Kind regards

Quentin.
--
Quentin Christensen

--
Quentin Christensen

--
Quentin Christensen

Louise Pfau

I think I might hold off on installing the beta and wait for the stable version given the issues that are happening.

Louise

Arlene

Louise! I don’t blame you one bit!

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: May 25, 2021 12:45 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA 2021.1 Beta 1 is now available

I think I might hold off on installing the beta and wait for the stable version given the issues that are happening.

Louise