NVDA 2021.3 Beta 1 now available

Quentin Christensen

Hi everyone,

Beta1 of NVDA 2021.3 is now available for download and testing. For anyone who is interested in trying out what the next version of NVDA has to offer before it is officially released, we welcome you to download the beta and provide feedback.

This release introduces support for the new HID Braille specification. This specification aims to standardize support for Braille Displays without needing individual drivers. There are updates to eSpeak-NG and LibLouis, including new Russian and Tshivenda tables. Error sounds can be enabled in stable builds of NVDA via a new advanced settings option. Say all in Word now scrolls the view to keep the current position visible. There are lots of improvements when using Office with UIA. One UIA fix is that Outlook now ignores more types of layout tables in messages.

Download from: https://www.nvaccess.org/post/nvda-2021-3beta1/

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Steve Nutt

Hi,

It’s only a shame that NVDA doesn’t auto read messages when you go into an Outlook message. This would be a nice touch.

JAWS has a setting for this.

All the best

Steve

Computer Room Services

77 Exeter Close

Stevenage

Hertfordshire

SG1 4PW

T: +44(0)1438-742286

M: +44(0)7956-334938

F: +44(0)1438-759589

E: steve@...

[...]

Rosemarie Chavarria

Hi, Quentin,

I just downloaded the new beta version of NVDA and so-far it’s working great for me. Thank you for all you do for us.

Rosemarie

Sent from Mail for Windows

[...]

gbmagoo@...

The latest beta… I hope you’re not the email in outlook and I was surprised to read the whole thing to me without me doing anything just like the other screen reader mentioned in this email.

[...]

I’ll check that out if it’s true.

Usually it is not a nice experience reading Emails with NVDA, because of table layout things, but the new UIA thing to remove some of these tables may help.

All the best

Steve

Computer Room Services

77 Exeter Close

Stevenage

Hertfordshire

SG1 4PW

T: +44(0)1438-742286

M: +44(0)7956-334938

F: +44(0)1438-759589

E: steve@...

[...]

abdul muhamin

Hello, the NVDA is lagging in win11 file explorer, please fix

Sent from Mail for Windows

[...]

Regarding Windows 11 File explorer issue: is this also happening with 2021.2? If so, it is something Microsoft may need to backport to Windows 11 build 22000 sooner than later.

Cheers,

Joseph

On Thu, Oct 28, 2021 at 11:42 AM, abdul muhamin wrote:
Hello, the NVDA is lagging in win11 file explorer, please fix
-
Not that this isn't appropriate and useful to post here for others who may confirm the issue, but as the download page for the beta clearly states:

It is not realistic to believe that the NVDA developers are reading this group on any sort of a regular basis.  Quentin Christensen does, and I'm sure he passes this sort of thing along when he sees it, but you cannot rely on that either.

If you use the beta and release candidate builds, please, create a GitHub account and use it to report issues.  That is the one, and only, way you can be assured that they will become a part of the official chain of review.  And for a basic issue like this, filling out the issue form isn't really difficult.  And if you prefer to use an MS-Word form to make it even easier, I've created those, along with a tutorials on same.

Creating an Issue in GitHub for NVDA

MS-Word Fillable Form for an NVDA Bug Report Including Pre and Post Filling-Out Instructions

MS-Word Fillable Form for an NVDA Bug Report Including Only Post Filling-Out Instructions

How to Unprotect a Completed Fillable Word Form so the Entire Document Can Be Copied

         ~ John F. Kennedy

Jujube

Hi, I also downloaded NVDA 2021.3 beta mainly to check out the improvements with UI automation in MS office and there has certainly been a difference. I know there are still quite a few issues but I'm optimistic that they will be resolved fairly soon.

On Thu, Oct 28, 2021 at 3:19 AM Quentin Christensen <quentin@...> wrote:
[...]

Gary Metzler

Hi Quentin,

The beta is working well so far.

[...]

Gene

I don’t recall if it was discussed here before but a work around is to hold control when you move through the files and folders list.  Then, when you get to the thing you want, release control and up or down arrow once past it, then return so it and only it will be selected.  The person who tried the work around said it works.