NVDA 2022.1 and add-ons: compatibility updates

Hi all,

This thread is a continuation of an earlier post from me regarding NVDA 2022.1 and your favorite add-ons. To avoid attaching dates to thread titles, I’m making it a bit more general (see the title) so updates can be posted without creating new threads.

On behalf of NVDA add-ons community, I’m happy to report that more than 40 percent of add-ons registered on community add-ons website (addons.nvda-project.org) are compatible with upcoming NVDA 2022.1 release. Notable in this update is that most of Tony Malykh’s add-ons such as Sentence Nav and Bluetooth Audio are now compatible. As always, keep track of compatibility status of your favorite add-ons from the following link:

Add-ons and backwards incompatible NVDA releases (nvda-project.org)

Notice that some add-ons are marked “testing in progress”. This means the author have released a development version of add-ons and waiting for NVDA 2022.1 is released before releasing a stable version to users.

An important reminder before coming back to post compatibility updates later:

One way to keep add-ons updated is with help from add-ons such as Add-on Updater. If you haven’t installed this add-on, I urge you to please, please, PLEASE install it. Add-on Updater can be found here:

Add-on Updater (nvda-project.org)

Whenever a new stable version of NVDA is released (including backward compatibility breaking release), Add-on Updater is one of the first add-ons declared compatible. Or, for that matter, if you rely on add-ons, do NOT start testing beta releases (especially year.1 beta releases) UNTIL Add-on Updater is updated (I heard that the person responsible for Add-on Updater keeps a close eye on add-on compatibility).

Thanks, and please stay safe and healthy (we are still going through a pandemic).

Cheers,

Joseph

Hi,

Update as of May 23, 2022 (the day NVDA 2022.1 stable version was released): over 60 percent of add-ons registered on community add-ons website are showing as compatible with more updates on the way (at least four add-on updates were queued for distribution on community add-ons website as of this moment, and if things go well, Add-on Updater will offer them to you around this time tomorrow). My task for the next few days before I officially go offline in June: asking Add-on Updater to offer add-on updates to users. There may or may not be such a task in June (highly unlikely for my own physical and mental well-being, so if you are an add-on author and reading this message, consider May 27, 2022 as the last day to queue add-on updates for broad distribution for this round).

I will address the question of manifests in a separate post - I'm sort of on a writing spree before I crash again, and I will show you why editing manifests is not a long-term solution (hint: Python advances).

Cheers,

Joseph

Louise Pfau

Hi.  I just installed NVDA 2022.1, and I've got a few add-ons that are listed as incompatible and were therefore disabled.  Will add-on updater still detect them at a later date and allow them to be reenabled?  The add-ons in question are Emoticons 14.7, Quick Dictionary 2.1.4, and Virtual Review 21.06.

Thanks,

Louise

Rowen Cary

Hi,How about Word-Nav, is there a new version?

Hi,

There should be an ew release of Woprd Nav.

Several updates to the compatibility list:

  • As of May 26, 2022, about 73% of add-ons are showing as compatible from add-on compatibility page (see the below link). This includes add-ons under testing (that is, queued for distribution on community add-ons website).
  • Braile Extender is now compatible with NVDA 2022.1 (latest stable version released last week).

Add-on compatibility list: https://addons.nvda-project.org/addons/nvdacompat.en.html

Cheers,

Joseph

Betsy Grenevitch

Joseph, thank you and who all helps you with the ad-ons for your work.

I also want to say that if the clock ad-on is ever fixed that will be great. When it is now silent when the cukoo clock used to go off I feel like something is  missing.

Thanks to everyone who adds so much to this screen reader.

--
Betsy Grenevitch 678-862-3876

Hi all,

A lot of goodies in this update (as of May 30, 2022):

  • A lot of add-ons are now compatible- about 80%, including add-ons showing as "testing in progress" a.k.a. queued for distribution on community add-ons website. If we take out Enhanced ARIA and Screen Curtain which are NVDA features and NV Speech Player which is part of eSpeak NG and Newfon for which we don't have updated info on maintenance, compatibility percentage rises to about 84%. Considering that until last week 60% of ad-ons were compatible, this is a huge progress - at least I can worry less during my vacation in June.
  • If you are using Add-on Updater (or if not, go ahead and install Add-on Updater), check for add-on updates because at least seven add-on updates are available.
  • IMPORTANT: some add-ons will require NVDA 2022.1, notably Notepad++ add-on which was updated today.
  • Fixed (finally) the root cause of updated VLC add-on not being offered through Add-on Updater - yet another server-side oversight - specifically, the database was using a wrong data point for this add-on.
  • Clock and Virtual Review add-on updates were released by maintainers and were queued for distribution on community add-ons website. If things go well, Add-on Updater will offer them to you this coming week.
  • It might be possible that at least one more add-on may become compatible in coming days to weeks, and a very exciting add-on is in the works (not written by me).

And with that, I'm done with updating compatibility info for now. Enjoy the new add-on updates.

P.S. When I come back in July, I will talk about NVDA 2022.1 requirement for my own add-ons - I'm reviewing specific details. Although things are not really set in stone, all I can say at this time is that, before end of this year, my add-ons (Add-on Updater and Windows App Essentials) will ask you to upgrade to NVDA 2022.1. There is also a small possibility that I might rather ask for NVDA 2022.2 (won't go into details, but I can tell you that this upcoming NVDA release (alpha at the moment) packs interesting new features and changes, some of which folks have been asking for years; the update also includes at least two changes that will be useful for add-ons community, one of which will benefit app module writers a lot). I also need to revisit an earlier post I wrote concerning Windows 7 and my add-ons (a different thread, really), something I'm also thinking about and may have something to say by this fall.

Cheers,

Joseph

zvonimir stanečić, 9a5dsz <zvonimirek222@...>

Hi Joseph,

The status of Newfon is as follows.

We should remove it from the official site, as the original author mentioned passed away.

synthesizer was taken by the another Russian author, which has the code, and synthesizer itself is not under Gpl.

There is compatible version on the external resource maintained by the Russian community.

[...]

Can you bring this up on add-ons list? I figured there are others that may need to be examined.

Cheers,

Joseph

zvonimir stanečić, 9a5dsz <zvonimirek222@...>

Hi!

Yes, i can bring the whole matter to the NVDA- addons mailing list.

This should be examined, we should make somehow contact with authors, and to see the status of their add-ons and what not.

Best,

Zvonimir

Kimden: Joseph Lee
Gönderilme: 30 Mayıs 2022 Pazartesi 09:51
Kime: nvda@nvda.groups.io

Hi,

Can you bring this up on add-ons list? I figured there are others that may need to be examined.

Cheers,

Joseph

Gene

If that function is no longer available in the add-on, you can find it using object navigation in the jump to time dialog.  I'll describe how to do this if the add-on doesn't support that function any longer.

Gene

Kimden: Joseph Lee
Gönderilme: 30 Mayıs 2022 Pazartesi 09:51
Kime: nvda@nvda.groups.io

Hi,

Can you bring this up on add-ons list? I figured there are others that may need to be examined.

Cheers,

Joseph

umut korkmaz

Gene, thank you for the information you provided.

In previous plugins, this was working fine with CTRL+Shift+T.

Thanks again.

Cheers,

Kimden: Joseph Lee
Gönderilme: 30 Mayıs 2022 Pazartesi 09:51
Kime: nvda@nvda.groups.io

Hi,

Can you bring this up on add-ons list? I figured there are others that may need to be examined.

Cheers,

Joseph

Ron Canazzi

Hi Group,

I can confirm this issue. I used object navigation to solve it by making sure the screen setting was set to object navigation and then using insert + numpad 4 and 6 to focus on the total track length item.
You must open the track time information with control + J first to use this method.

Kimden: Joseph Lee
Gönderilme: 30 Mayıs 2022 Pazartesi 09:51
Kime: nvda@nvda.groups.io

Hi,

Can you bring this up on add-ons list? I figured there are others that may need to be examined.

Cheers,

Joseph

--
Signature:
For a nation to admit it has done grievous wrongs and will strive to correct them for the betterment of all is no vice;

Brian's Mail list account

I guess it might be an idea to ask on the add ons list if this was intentional, and why then?
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

I can confirm this issue. I used object navigation to solve it by making
sure the screen setting was set to object navigation and then using
insert + numpad 4 and 6 to focus on the total track length item.
You must open the track time information with control + J first to use
this method.

On 5/30/2022 5:24 AM, umut korkmaz wrote:

Hi,

Extendet Winamp 2.2 Addon provided via updater.

The CTRL+Shift+T shortcut has been removed.

How do we find out the total time?

I will be happy if you inform me.

Kind regards,

Umut KORKMAZ