NVDA 2022.1 release candidate is now available

Quentin Christensen

Hi everyone,

NVDA 2022.1 Release Candidate 1 is now available for testing. We encourage all users to download this RC and provide feedback. Unless any critical bugs are found, this will be identical to the final 2022.1 release. Full details & download at: https://www.nvaccess.org/post/nvda-2022-1rc1/

This release includes major improvements to UIA support with MS Office. For Microsoft Office 16.0.15000 and higher on Windows 11, NVDA will use UI Automation to access Microsoft Word documents by default. This provides a significant performance improvement over the old Object model access.

There are improvements to braille display drivers including Seika Notetaker, Papenmeier and HID Braille. There are also various Windows 11 bug fixes, for apps such as Calculator, Console, Terminal, Mail and Emoji Panel.

eSpeak-NG and LibLouis have been updated, adding new Japanese, German and Catalan tables.
--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Hi all,

I know that many of you are wondering about the state of your favorite add-ons. What I can tell you is that add-on authors are working on final bits, and some authors have been waiting for this moment since their add-ons will require NVDA 2022.1. I can assure you that add-ons I maintained (or have maintained until recently) are compatible with 2022.1. Eventually all of my add-ons, too will require 2022.1 but that won't be until later in northern summer.

Enjoy the new RC (and please do provide feedback if you coe across really serious show stoppers, mostly ones that can cause NVDA to actually crash).

Cheers,

Joseph

Alexandre Alves Toco

Hi, nvda still craches many times here.

It crash, restart and crash again.

Do I need to open a bug or this kind of situation is send to nvaccess developers automatically?

On Thu, May 12, 2022 at 01:23 PM, Alexandre Alves Toco wrote:
Do I need to open a bug or this kind of situation is send to nvaccess developers automatically?
-
It always makes sense to open a bug report because you will be expected to provide details about what you were doing at the time that NVDA crashed.  I'd also advice turning logging level up to debug temporarily so that as you are asked for copies of the NVDA log, which will almost certainly be requested, that they will contain the maximum amount of information possible for those doing the actual debugging to examine.

It also doesn't hurt to create a post noting the issue you've created and the reason(s) why, so that if someone else happens to be encountering the same, or very similar, issues they know that an issue they can comment on already exists.

     ~ Ursula LeGuin, The Dispossessed

sean@...

Please open a bug report as soon as possible.
Regards,
Sean Budd
NV Access Software Developer

Alexandre Alves Toco

I will do this.

But, if nvda crashes and restart, it also clean the log, I guess.

So, how do I manage to get the log that nvda wrote just before it crashed?

Em 12/05/2022 21:49, sean@... escreveu:

Please open a bug report as soon as possible.
Regards,
Sean Budd
NV Access Software Developer

Luke Davis

Alexandre Alves Toco wrote:

So, how do I manage to get the log that nvda wrote just before it crashed?
It will be in %temp%\nvda-old.log, just like the log of the currently running NVDA is in %temp%\nvda.log.

Luke

sean@...

Alexandre Alves Toco

I just opened the bug and the link is:

https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues/13694#issue-1235034524

But there is no dump file.

Em 12/05/2022 23:33, sean@... escreveu:

Hi,

A crash dump is generated if NVDA is told to generate it when it crashes (that's one way).

Based on the log attached to the GitHub issue, sounds like there is a miscommunication between a speech synthesizer driver and wxPython regarding app readiness. In other words, NVDA crashes because it or one of its components tried to do work that required presence of a specific data in memory.

Cheers,

Joseph