Topics

locked NVDA - accessible python environment

uwtcat@...

Moderator Note:  I am allowing this to go out to the group because the sort of information requested is very difficult to find, and this is a group on which certain members may have the expertise to guide appropriately.  The other day, Tyler Spivey recommended that another member asking detailed questions in regard to python programming look at the list here:   https://www.freelists.org/list/program-l.  I advise this poster to do the same.  I will promptly lock the topic, as it is not meaningfully NVDA related.  Please respond to the original poster using the Reply to Sender link at the end of the message.  - Brian Vogel -

Hello.

I'm a researcher at the University of Washington. We are putting together the first-ever accessible instance of the summer program, AI4ALL.
AI4ALL aims to introduce highschoolers from underrepresented groups to artificial intelligence via a summer program.
My team and I are trying very hard to adapt all the learning material that the national AI4ALL organization made available (this is a basic Artificial Intelligence curriculum) and we are struggling.
The current curriculum is heavily python-based with a reliance on the scikit python library. So my preference is to be able to use the library, but find accessible programming environments that could still make use of the base code.
We have been trying to work with Quorum, the accessible IDE and language, to create wrappers for the python libraries, with no success thus far.

I looked up information about accessibility and python and found your group, with the most recent relevant thread dating to 2016, pointing at EdSharp, but it looks like that project has not been updated in a while and there is no one currently maintaining it on github, so I'm leery of asking young students to use something that isn't currently supported.

Does anyone here have any ideas? have you had experience coding in python in any environment that was NVDA-friendly?
Looking at our larger goals (of integrating a bunch of python notebooks into accessible learning materials) do you have any other suggestions?

Thank you in advance for any advice you can offer.

Kind regards,

Anat Caspi, PhD
Director, Taskar Center for Accessible Technology
University of Washington