NVDA Add-ons installation problem

Sanjog Kumawat

Respected NVDA Group,

While installing any NVDA Add-ons, I get the following error:

You will need a new app to open this .NVDA-addon file.

Look for an app in the Microsoft Store.

The device that I am using is a HP Pavilion laptop upgraded to Windows 11. Please give your kind suggestion to solve this error.

With Best Regards

Sanjog Kumawat

Membership Support for Asia & Africa at Bookshare

A Benetech Initiative

IAAP Individual Member

Gene

While you wait for a possible solution, this workaround may allow you to install add-ons.  Don’t press enter on the add-on itself.  Open the NVDA menu, open tools, down arrow to manage adde-ons and press enter.
Then tab to the install button and press the space bar.
You are in a typical open dialog.  Shift tab, I believe its twice, to the files and folder’s list.  Find the add-on and press enter.

I believe this will likely work because you are installing the add-on using NVDA directly and not having Windows open the file first.  You are installing it as though you were using a portable version.

Sent: Monday, November 29, 2021 12:57 AM
Subject: [nvda] NVDA Add-ons installation problem

Respected NVDA Group,

While installing any NVDA Add-ons, I get the following error:

You will need a new app to open this .NVDA-addon file.

Look for an app in the Microsoft Store.

The device that I am using is a HP Pavilion laptop upgraded to Windows 11. Please give your kind suggestion to solve this error.

With Best Regards

Sanjog Kumawat

Membership Support for Asia & Africa at Bookshare

A Benetech Initiative

IAAP Individual Member

Rui Fontes

NVDA is installed or portable?

Rui Fontes

Às 06:57 de 29/11/2021, Sanjog Kumawat escreveu:

Respected NVDA Group,

While installing any NVDA Add-ons, I get the following error:

You will need a new app to open this .NVDA-addon file.

Look for an app in the Microsoft Store.

The device that I am using is a HP Pavilion laptop upgraded to Windows 11. Please give your kind suggestion to solve this error.

With Best Regards

Sanjog Kumawat

Membership Support for Asia & Africa at Bookshare

A Benetech Initiative

IAAP Individual Member

Sanjog Kumawat

Hi Rui and Gene,

Thanks four your replies. I am sorry for not mentioning the status of NVDA. NVDA is installed properly, as in from the .exe file.

Gene, I will surely try the solution that you mentioned and will let you know.

Regards,

Sanjog Kumawat

Sent from Mail for Windows

Às 06:57 de 29/11/2021, Sanjog Kumawat escreveu:

Respected NVDA Group,

While installing any NVDA Add-ons, I get the following error:

You will need a new app to open this .NVDA-addon file.

Look for an app in the Microsoft Store.

The device that I am using is a HP Pavilion laptop upgraded to Windows 11. Please give your kind suggestion to solve this error.

With Best Regards

Sanjog Kumawat

Membership Support for Asia & Africa at Bookshare

A Benetech Initiative

IAAP Individual Member

In addition to Rui's question, is NVDA actually running when you do this?

I've received this error on a couple of occasions where I double-clicked on an NVDA add-on file when I didn't have NVDA running.

I realize that this is not likely to be your situation, but because it is within the realm of possibility, I had to ask.

         ~ Vance Packard

Sanjog Kumawat

Yes, NVDA is running.

Sent from Mail for Windows

In addition to Rui's question, is NVDA actually running when you do this?

I've received this error on a couple of occasions where I double-clicked on an NVDA add-on file when I didn't have NVDA running.

I realize that this is not likely to be your situation, but because it is within the realm of possibility, I had to ask.

         ~ Vance Packard

I don't know what version of NVDA you have installed, but as a diagnostic step I'd suggest uninstalling it, and reinstalling.  And on the reinstall use NVDA 2021.3beta.

If that doesn't solve it, then we'd have to start digging into file associations by file extension, which should associate files with dot NVDA hyphen add-on extension with NVDA itself, and that should happen as part of a successful NVDA install.

         ~ Vance Packard