Nvda addons

Jarek.Krcmar

Hello everybodi,

I have downloaded a new version of Nvda. I have found out, that some addons are uncompatible with the version of Nvda 21.1.

I would like to know, whether will able to download the addons, for example Clipspeak and Total Commander.

--
Jarek

Quentin Christensen

Hi Jarek,

There is a page on the add-ons site listing the status of various add-ons for NVDA 2021.1: https://addons.nvda-project.org/addons/nvdacompat.en.html

I can see ClipSpeak listed there as not yet compatible - it might be worth double checking with the developer of that add-on as to where it is at.  I'm not sure about total commander.

Note that as new versions of add-ons are released, you will need to find them and download them manually - that process is not automated, although there is an "add-on updater" add-on which does do this, and which you can also find on the add-ons site: https://addons.nvda-project.org/index.en.html

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Mon, Jul 12, 2021 at 9:40 PM Jarek.Krcmar <Jarek.Krcmar@...> wrote:
Hello everybodi,

I have downloaded a new version of Nvda. I have found out, that some
addons are uncompatible with the version of Nvda 21.1.

I would like to know, whether will able to download the addons, for
example Clipspeak and Total Commander.

--
Jarek

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Ron Canazzi

Hi Group,

I was all set to install the latest version of NVDA, but I was given a warning that all but 2 of my add ons are incompatible. These incompatible add ons include Add On updater the one I just installed 2 days ago and Windows app essentials which I updated a week or so ago.  Is this information correct or did a newer group of updates for these add ons occur in the past day or so?

On 7/12/2021 7:40 AM, Jarek.Krcmar wrote:
Hello everybodi,

I have downloaded a new version of Nvda. I have found out, that some addons are uncompatible with the version of Nvda 21.1.

I would like to know, whether will able to download the addons, for example Clipspeak and Total Commander.

--
Signature:

Can you go through the list of add-ons you've got and tell me the ersions of Add-on Updater and Windows App Essentials you are using? If you've got:

  • Add-on Updater 21.05.1 or earlier
  • Windows 10 App Essentials earlier than 21.06

You must install these, restart NVDA right away, and then check for NVDA updates.

Cheers,

Joseph

Jarek.Krcmar

Hi Quentyn,

I would like to contact the developer of Clipspeak, but when I wrote him, the message has been returned to me as undeliverable.

It seems to me uneasy to contact some developer.

Jarek

Dne 12.07.2021 v 14:43 Quentin Christensen napsal(a):

Hi Jarek,

There is a page on the add-ons site listing the status of various add-ons for NVDA 2021.1: https://addons.nvda-project.org/addons/nvdacompat.en.html <https://addons.nvda-project.org/addons/nvdacompat.en.html>

I can see ClipSpeak listed there as not yet compatible - it might be worth double checking with the developer of that add-on as to where it is at.  I'm not sure about total commander.

Note that as new versions of add-ons are released, you will need to find them and download them manually - that process is not automated, although there is an "add-on updater" add-on which does do this, and which you can also find on the add-ons site: https://addons.nvda-project.org/index.en.html <https://addons.nvda-project.org/index.en.html>

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Mon, Jul 12, 2021 at 9:40 PM Jarek.Krcmar <Jarek.Krcmar@email.cz <mailto:Jarek.Krcmar@email.cz>> wrote:

Hello everybodi,

I have downloaded a new version of Nvda. I have found out, that some
addons are uncompatible with the version of Nvda 21.1.

I would like to know, whether will able to download the addons, for
example Clipspeak and Total Commander.

--
Jarek

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Web: www.nvaccess.org <http://www.nvaccess.org/>
Training: https://www.nvaccess.org/shop/ <https://www.nvaccess.org/shop/>
Certification: https://certification.nvaccess.org/ <https://certification.nvaccess.org/>
User group: https://nvda.groups.io/g/nvda <https://nvda.groups.io/g/nvda>
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess <http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess>
Jarek

Ron Canazzi

Hi Joseph,

OK, I downloaded your add-ons--which or some reason i thought I had properly updated. However some others have not been updated. They are:
an extended add module for Winamp music player
clock
day of the week
Mozilla apps enhancement
systray list
I checked the website: https://addons.nvda-project.org and none of these have yet been made compatible.

On 7/12/2021 11:01 AM, Joseph Lee wrote:

Hi,

Can you go through the list of add-ons you've got and tell me the ersions of Add-on Updater and Windows App Essentials you are using? If you've got:

  • Add-on Updater 21.05.1 or earlier
  • Windows 10 App Essentials earlier than 21.06

You must install these, restart NVDA right away, and then check for NVDA updates.

Cheers,

Joseph

--
Signature:

At least SystrayList was recently updated to be compatible with 2021.1.

Cheers,

Joseph

John Isige

Speaking of addons, is there some easier process for review or something? Because on the off chance that it worked, I changed minimum and last tested versions to 2021.1 for the Extended Winamp addon, copied the whole thing into my addons folder, and it works. So 2021.1 didn't break any compatibility, it just needs two changes in manifest.ini and it works. It took me less than a minute. There's no reason to have to wait for the original developer to do that kind of thing, is there?

On 7/12/2021 2:24 PM, Ron Canazzi wrote:
[...]

David Griffith

Brilliant

Thanks so much for this advice.

I did this for the disabled allegedly incompatible mp3DirectCut addon which I use all the time and it now seems to work perfectly with the latest NVDA.

Thanks again.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

[...]

For a nation to claim it has always been great, needs no improvement  and to cling to its past achievements is no virtue!

Roger Stewart

Yes, this trick works for a few--and I mean just a few add ons. Most of them will just not work at all by just doing that but worth a try. I used a portable version to test before using them in my installed copy.
Roger

[...]

Betsy Grenevitch

Joseph, thanks for all of your hard work. If you did the clock add-on please let me  know when the new version that is compatible comes back out I sure miss hearing it but know it is not a necessity to do any work so understand if it takes a while to get to.

On 7/12/2021 3:28 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:

Hi,

At least SystrayList was recently updated to be compatible with 2021.1.

Cheers,

Joseph

--
Betsy Grenevitch 678-862-3876

Ron Canazzi

Hi Group,

Humor a failing old man. Give exact steps as to how to do this. I would like to get some of my add-ons working without having to wait until the developers get around to doing so.

[...]

I hesitate to provide steps by steps as I don’t really know  anything  about add-on construction. But I will tell you what I did at very much your own risk.

What I did was  first of all find the NVDA add-ons directory – which was in drive C users  your user name then app data then roaming NVDA and then finally add-ons directory.

You may need to change File Explorer settings to show hidden folders for the app data folder to be revealed.

I then copied the unamended Mp3DirectCut add-on directory elsewhere as a safe backup if anything went drastically wrong. In that case I would have simply copied it back to return things to the previous state.

I then opened the Mp3DirectCut add-on directory and  found the manifest.ini file there.

I opened this in notepad.

There are 2 places where there are references to NVDA version numbers.

The first refers to minimum version number

The second is for last tested versions

In both lines I replaced the existing NVDA version numbers to

2021.1.

I saved the file and restarted NVDA.

The Mp3DirectCut add-on was now no longer listed as incompatible in Add-ons manager, it was now enabled and in testing the add-on appeared to be working entirely as expected.

I am not at all sure  this will work every time but remember to keep a secure original copy to re-copy back if you get odd results so you can return to the previous configuration.

David Griffith

[...]

Louise Pfau

I believe it was Damien who did the clock add-on, and the message I sent bounced back as undeliverable.  I’ve removed all of my incompatible add-ons, so I can’t check the contact information for the developers.

Louise

hi everyone
i have changed the manifest.ini file in the adon clock and it is no longer listed as incompatible. but i also use acapela voices for nvda and now i don't dare to change anything in manifest.ini because i bought these adons and had to enter a license code. can someone advise me now what to do?

Robert Doc Wright godfearer

Out of curiosity is there any reason why the features in the clip speak addon was not made part of the foundation in NVDA? I would think that knowing that you have actually triggored a command as basic as copy, paste, cut...would be important to hear.

[...]

I did not have that problem with the two you mentioned.

I was all set to install the latest version of NVDA, but I was given a warning that all but 2 of my add ons are incompatible. These incompatible add ons include Add On updater the one I just installed 2 days ago and Windows app essentials which I updated a week or so ago. Is this information correct or did a newer group of updates for these add ons occur in the past day or so?

On 7/12/2021 7:40 AM, Jarek.Krcmar wrote:
Hello everybodi,

I have downloaded a new version of Nvda. I have found out, that some addons are uncompatible with the version of Nvda 21.1.

I would like to know, whether will able to download the addons, for example Clipspeak and Total Commander.

--
Signature:

Chris Mullins

Hi

I think the dilemma is that Clipspeak only reports that the Cut/Copy/Paste keypress worked, not that the actual task was successfully performed, even though 99% of the time it probably was.

Cheers

Chris

[...]

Gene

Clip speak does report when the event happens and it is almost always accurate.  It doesn’t just announce something when the commands are pressed.  it monitors activity to attempt to determine if the operation is actually performed.

There is another older add-on that announced those operations when the commands are given and not based on anything else.

[...]

I agree but that is what I need especially when editing in goldwave.