NVDA and Ardour

Marco Oros

Hello.

Maybe You have heard about It. I don't know, if It'll be possible to make Ardour accessible with NVDA. Ardour is a digital audio workstation software, which is opensource, like NVDA. I don't know what to do to make this software accessible for the blind. So I don't know, if It'll be good to contact with developers, who hasn't any experiences with software for the blind people. Ofcourse, there is Reaper, but Ardour is totally free and It'll be maybe sometimes good option to make Ardour for free.

Thank You.

Best regards from Slovakia

Marco Oros

Luke Davis

I have not tried it in a decade, and that was under Linux no less, but I found it very inaccessible at that time. I switched to Audacity, which is also totally free.

But the nice thing about totally free software, is that you can try it for yourself and not lose anything but time.

Luke

"I have no idea what I'm supposed to do. I only know what I can do." -James T. Kirk

I just chhecked this thing out.

Firstly you need to pay for the full version.

Next they don't want you to compile yourself on windows just linux.

Even if you could it uses gtk.

Gtk has accessibility but basically you would have to take out gtk and use something else, its not worthh it, anyway reaper has allready something for it.

On 1/05/2021 6:45 pm, Marco Oros wrote:
Hello.

Maybe You have heard about It. I don't know, if It'll be possible to make Ardour accessible with NVDA. Ardour is a digital audio workstation software, which is opensource, like NVDA. I don't know what to do to make this software accessible for the blind. So I don't know, if It'll be good to contact with developers, who hasn't any experiences with software for the blind people. Ofcourse, there is Reaper, but Ardour is totally free and It'll be maybe sometimes good option to make Ardour for free.

Thank You.

Best regards from Slovakia

Marco Oros

Ted Galanos

I have never heard of Arthur, however, I do provide tutorial services for anyone that wants to learn audacity whether you are a jawsor an NVDA user.

Ted Galanos
www.GalanosConsulting.com
713-396-3495
Please consider donating to my ABLE account.
https://www. ablegifting.com/TX/K9L8A2

On May 1, 2021, at 2:33 AM, Luke Davis <luke@...> wrote:

I have not tried it in a decade, and that was under Linux no less, but I found it very inaccessible at that time. I switched to Audacity, which is also totally free.

But the nice thing about totally free software, is that you can try it for yourself and not lose anything but time.

Luke

"I have no idea what I'm supposed to do.  I only know what I can do." -James T. Kirk

Chris Smart

Try Reaper. I can guarantee it will do more than anything you can think up to try, and it's cheap and fully accessible.

On 2021-05-01 2:45 a.m., Marco Oros wrote:
Hello.

Maybe You have heard about It. I don't know, if It'll be possible to make Ardour accessible with NVDA. Ardour is a digital audio workstation software, which is opensource, like NVDA. I don't know what to do to make this software accessible for the blind. So I don't know, if It'll be good to contact with developers, who hasn't any experiences with software for the blind people. Ofcourse, there is Reaper, but Ardour is totally free and It'll be maybe sometimes good option to make Ardour for free.

Thank You.

Best regards from Slovakia

Marco Oros

I have looked at ardour.

The issue is gtk.

Gtk is a linux library, and software made by gtk is not accessible at least not in windows.

Worse to get a copy of this you need to pay for it if you want a full compiled with no limits version.

Of course you can build this yourself but they simply don't tell you how to build this for windows.

I personally wouldn't bother.

Shaun Everiss wrote:

Of course you can build this yourself but they simply don't tell you how to build this for windows.
Though there is this (pay special attention to the comments):
https://discourse.ardour.org/t/building-ardour-on-windows-with-msys2/88079

But that said, Shaun is right. Unless Ardour really does something that just nothing else on the planet can do--and I find that very unlikely--almost any other solution is going to be preferable to going down this path.

Try Audacity.
If it's not enough, pay for Reaper. It's worth it in time if not in features, and it is worth it in features.

Luke

Hi

Thanks luke for that reply.

From the devs and  dev pages on building ardour on the site it appears that while they support linux and maybe other things they simply refuse to help someone through building anything else sighting that they are to busy.

While thats probably true, their attitude aint good, hand holding I understand, but its almost sounding like we don't care about it, yes its free but unless you want a 10 minute demo, you have to pay to get a build of which is a gpl licenced software package.

Its obvious they begrudgingly built for windows and mac but really don't care about those platforms.

I doubt they care about accessibility and from reading the beta page wouldn't want to associate with them either.

Chris Smart

Audacity for blind Users:

https://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Audacity_for_blind_users

Reaper Accessibility Wiki:

https://reaperaccessibility.com/index.php/Main_Page

As someone else asked, what can Ardour do that is unique?

Vinod Benjamin

Dear team,

Is there any tutorial for Reaper , with NVDA.

it would be great if some one could help me with.

Regards,

Vinod Benjamin

On 5/2/21, Luke Davis <luke@newanswertech.com> wrote:
Shaun Everiss wrote:

Of course you can build this yourself but they simply don't tell you how
to build this for windows.
Though there is this (pay special attention to the comments):
https://discourse.ardour.org/t/building-ardour-on-windows-with-msys2/88079

But that said, Shaun is right. Unless Ardour really does something that
just nothing else on the planet can do--and I find that very
unlikely--almost any other solution is going to be preferable to going
down this path.

Try Audacity.
If it's not enough, pay for Reaper. It's worth it in time if not in
features, and it is worth it in features.

Luke

Sarah k Alawami

There is a groups.io list you can look for. They are very helpful there. Also google for the reaper accessibility wiki. Lots of info there.

Shaun Everiss wrote:

Of course you can build this yourself but they simply don't tell you
how to build this for windows.
Though there is this (pay special attention to the comments):
https://discourse.ardour.org/t/building-ardour-on-windows-with-msys2/8
8079

But that said, Shaun is right. Unless Ardour really does something
that just nothing else on the planet can do--and I find that very
unlikely--almost any other solution is going to be preferable to going
down this path.

Try Audacity.
If it's not enough, pay for Reaper. It's worth it in time if not in
features, and it is worth it in features.

Luke

Vinod Benjamin

Dear Sarah,

Thanks very much for the help ,