Topics

NVDA and Audacity recordings

Hettie

Hi Listers

I am new to this List and not sure yet what may be discussed and what not.

Nvda is my only screen reader and I work with Windows 10.

I need assistance with Audacity recording stuff from an old tape recorder.

Current questions include which version of Audacity to use; how to determine the volume at which I am recording.

Do you know a blind group specifically for new Audacity users?

Thanks

Hettie

https://www.avg.com

Hettie,

            Hello and welcome to the NVDA Group.   Specific questions on how to use Audacity itself are not on-topic for the main NVDA Group.  I will give the e-mail addresses for our Chat Subgroup, where they are appropriate, in a few moments.  I wanted to make sure you had membership established in the NVDA Group since you must have that before you can join the Chat Subgroup.

             I know we have (or have had, the group always has some flux) members who are active Audacity users.  There also appears to be an unofficial NVDA add-on for Audacity (https://github.com/paulber007/AudacityNVDAAddon)  but it does not appear to be under active support and would not be compatible with the current version of NVDA.

             I thought there was a group on Groups.io for blind users of Audacity, but I can't find it.  I'm almost certain one exists, so I'll allow someone else to point you in its direction.

             Should you wish to ask specific questions about using Audacity itself.  That should be done on our Chat Subgroup.  Here is the vital information for that:

To join:  chat+subscribe@nvda.groups.io

To receive a message containing the group description, and a list of these commands:  chat+help@nvda.groups.io

To stop receiving messages via email (you may still read messages on the Web):  chat+nomail@nvda.groups.io
This can also be used to put a vacation stop on group messages, then use one of the addresses below to resume delivery in the format of your choice.

To receive each group messages individually:  chat+single@nvda.groups.io
This is the default delivery unless you send a message to one of the addresses that follows.

To receive group messages in an HTML formatted digest:  chat+fulldigest@nvda.groups.io

To receive group messages in a plain text digest:  chat+digest@nvda.groups.io

To receive a daily summary instead of individual messages:  chat+summary@nvda.groups.io

To receive only special messages:  chat+special@nvda.groups.io

To contact the group owner(s):  chat+owner@nvda.groups.io

There is a list for blind and visually impaired Audacity users.  I don't recall the details of how you join, but you can read about it and perhaps other information of interest here

I am new to this List and not sure yet what may be discussed and what not.

Nvda is my only screen reader and I work with Windows 10.

I need assistance with Audacity recording stuff from an old tape recorder.

Current questions include which version of Audacity to use; how to
determine the volume at which I am recording.

Do you know a blind group specifically for new Audacity users?

Thanks

Hettie

https://www.avg.com

Gene,

             Thanks for that.  I had forgotten that this material was in the Audacity Wiki, and there's lots of good stuff there, including the directions for joining the mailing list for blind users of Audacity on freelists.org.

Tony Ballou

Hi Hettie,

Welcome aboard! The only wrong question about NVDA is the one that you fail to ask here.  You're in the right place and all's gravy!

To get additional help with audacity, Here are a few links that should get you on the right track.

Audacity for blinds users Wikipedia page

https://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Audacity_for_blind_users?__cf_chl_jschl_tk__=d75ef7fea65080556f1f73e702b75228037ee9e2-1591285732-0-AbShQjxdc_Nok3gx3B7NYCmKKpjocm8gNtBKWDfKyQ_Bw8X0R7CFRYM6qJxR51wQGrVzemfWDr0AVf3t2K3FiLX6GLyXY-aXQVqCO35DvxMD0EL5dFAwze2SbIWvu9mV7EmdqBTtucOnnZ3KA0fkQV6HsrwX_KlGrjsHmL7WmsHSyjZisF8JCeMSFNwZBqMvqR8yUWsESW1fNrjnVkASnFeENyo414uVx1vpIqaPkvjhn7PkkMAbW0wX8UKQu2RGH6-kU6B-RK_NkhdVGMHwIEG05T1PBIsJ_tUmW4sGsAcLm_JLJ60ZjzYjQNO2yy1Tz9va0nKnR-0-pAPkajglv7OmURXBo-gGGiNAQotXniKp7oBHMhAO7TnIw8YIzCz4fA

the link for the audacity for blind users Email list is

https://www.freelists.org/list/audacity4blind

Here's how to get subscribed.

1. Go to https://www.freelists.org/list/audacity4blind.
2. Enter your email address into the "your email address" edit box.
3. Tab to and check the check box to indicate that you aren't a robot.
4. Tab to the Next button and press it. You will receive an email to confirm the subscription.
5. In that email, open the link to confirm your email address. A web page opens in which you have to agree to various terms.
6. There are three check boxes which have to be checked, and finally a Next button to press.
• A Guide to using Audacity 2.4.1 for users of Jaws, NVDA, and Narrator, by David Bailes. It includes tips for navigating Audacity without the mouse which should be helpful to users on all operating systems.

Hope this helps.

Tony

On Thu, Jun 4, 2020 at 12:03 PM, Tony Ballou wrote:
The only wrong question about NVDA is the one that you fail to ask here.
Tony, you are absolutely correct, but Hettie very wisely recognized that the question she is asking is not really about NVDA at all, but about Audacity.  I truly appreciate that she's leading by example with regard to this.

As the group description states:
NonVisual Desktop Access (NVDA) is screen reader software.  The central purpose of this group is discussing how to use NVDA, either configuring NVDA's settings or familiarizing oneself with its modes and commands.  Discussions about which programs are accessible using NVDA, NVDA add-ons, NVDA tutorials and documentation, and configuring synthesizers or Braille displays for use with NVDA are also permitted.

If the question were about NVDA or an NVDA add-on then it's on-topic.  If it's a question about how to use Audacity, where NVDA just so happens to be the screen reader you're using, it's not.  This is a distinction that needs to be made, by each and every member.

Again, I commend Hettie for being sensitive to this, and I commend you and others who've already done so for directing her to resources where those sorts of detailed questions can be asked and answered by those who've, "been there, done that, got the T-shirt."

Tony Ballou

Hey Brian,

Apologies for violating any protocols.  Thanks for the heads up, and I'm glad I was able to help. I was looking at it from an NVDA user helping a fellow NVDA user's point of view. Since the message stated that she was using NVDA as her primary screen reader I thought that I could answer the question without violating any list protocols. Overall, I'll chalk it up as a win.

Tony

On Thu, Jun 4, 2020 at 01:28 PM, Tony Ballou wrote:
Apologies for violating any protocols.
I want to make clear that you did not, in any way, violate any rules.  But this particular post, from you, presented a teachable moment for the group as a whole.

I will add, that even though it's not in the group rules, and if one wanted to be a really nasty stickler, referring people out to other resources could be classed as "off-topic" for the group, I will never, ever consider it to be so.

No matter what, we are here to help one another, and if a question is off-topic, referring the questioner to lists, forums, or other reference material that addresses their needs is always something that should be done.  Not only is it kind, it places "crumbs" for any future archive searcher to find, and it helps to keep the group as a whole much more on-topic than it would be if attempts are made to address off-topic questions in detail.

Also, questions about how to use Groups.io itself may arise occasionally.  I may direct those to the Chat Subgroup if they can't be answered in a "one and done" response, but if they can it's perfectly appropriate to assist anyone in using the actual mechanism of communication for this group.

Hettie

Thank you for the prompt reply. I am a new member of this list since a day or two.

Thanks for the information, will have a look at the link you provided.

Hettie

On 2020/06/04 4:37 pm, Brian Vogel wrote:
[...]

AVG logo

www.avg.com

Hettie

Thanks for the information. I visited the site you recommended and will spend more time exploring there.

Hettie

On 2020/06/04 4:41 pm, Gene wrote:
There is a list for blind and visually impaired Audacity users.  I don't recall the details of how you join, but you can read about it and perhaps other information of interest here

I am new to this List and not sure yet what may be discussed and what not.

Nvda is my only screen reader and I work with Windows 10.

I need assistance with Audacity recording stuff from an old tape recorder.

Current questions include which version of Audacity to use; how to
determine the volume at which I am recording.

Do you know a blind group specifically for new Audacity users?

Thanks

Hettie

https://www.avg.com

AVG logo

www.avg.com

Hettie

Good afternoon

Wow! Thanks for all the welcomes and Audacity information. I'm sure I'll soon be able to record all my cassette "photos" onto my computer.

Have a great weekend.

Hettie

On 2020/06/04 6:01 pm, Tony Ballou wrote:
[...]

bering.p

Hi.
About the add-on for Audacity:
The current add-on repository link is :
https://github.com/paulber19/audacityAccessEnhancementNVDAAddon

And the link to download the current add-on version conpatible with nvda 2020.1 is:
v1.4.4

Best regards.

Paul.
Le 04/06/2020 16:37, Brian Vogel a écrit :

[...]

Thanks Paul, just installed it.

Hettie