Topics

NVDA and Bandcamp.

John Isige

I know I've asked about this before, but since I just got another thing I want to check out and can't, here goes again.

I'm using latest Firefox, 72.0.2, and NVDA 2019.2.1. What I used to do to make things play on Bandcamp was get to the play button, hit NVDA-numpad-slash, and then numpad-slash to play. That doesn't work anymore. Here's the thing I'm trying to check out.

https://etrandelair.bandcamp.com/album/music-from-saharan-whatsapp

If anybody knows/figures out a way to get these tracks to play, I'd really appreciate knowing about it. I used to check stuff out all the time and I can't now. It's really frustrating, especially in a case like this where the albums are only going to be available for a month and then disappear. I can't figure out if I want to buy them or not if I can't hear them.

George McCoy

John,

Unfortunately, we now live in an age where one browser just doesn't fit all sites.

Do you have any other browsers available?

I can't click the play/pause button with the latest firefox either, but I can click it with google chrome, Microsoft Edge and brave.

George

On 2/6/2020 11:49 AM, John Isige wrote:
I know I've asked about this before, but since I just got another thing I want to check out and can't, here goes again.

I'm using latest Firefox, 72.0.2, and NVDA 2019.2.1. What I used to do to make things play on Bandcamp was get to the play button, hit NVDA-numpad-slash, and then numpad-slash to play. That doesn't work anymore. Here's the thing I'm trying to check out.

https://etrandelair.bandcamp.com/album/music-from-saharan-whatsapp

If anybody knows/figures out a way to get these tracks to play, I'd really appreciate knowing about it. I used to check stuff out all the time and I can't now. It's really frustrating, especially in a case like this where the albums are only going to be available for a month and then disappear. I can't figure out if I want to buy them or not if I can't hear them.

John Isige

Which Edge, the one that comes with Windows or the new chrome version? I
have the one that comes with Windows. I could install Chrome I guess, or
use Edge. But considering that Firefox works with everything else, I
don't see why I should have to install/use another browser just for this
one site.

I mean, if that's what I have to do, I will. I'm just saying, I'd like
to know why it doesn't work before I do that, because I can't see any
reason why it shouldn't work. It worked before after all. Thanks for
checking, I'm happy that there's a solution. It just bothers me to throw
up my hands and go, that thing doesn't work, better use something else,
when I can't see why the thing doesn't work. If for instance Edge and
Chrome supported audio playback and Firefox didn't for some reason, OK,
there you go, you have to use another browser. I'm off to check Edge,
seriously, thanks! Huh! I guess it's the new chrome version of Edge,
because I couldn't get it to work with the Edge in 1909 at all. So yeah.
I'd really like to avoid installing a totally new browser for one single
site, if I can help it.

On 2/6/2020 12:35, George McCoy wrote:
[...]

Gene

You may never know.  Things change, something may have changed in how the browser works and it may be a technical change that would require a lot of technical knowledge about the browser to explain the cause, far beyond the knowledge of list members.  Having said that, I have yet to look at the site with the latest version of Firefox.  I'll look on my Windows 7 machine later today.  But out of curiosity, I looked at it with a quite old version of Firefox.  I found that there is a play/pause button and that, if I down arrow once, there is another button.  Pressing the space bar on this button starts play.  So go to the play pause button and down arrow once or twice.  Do you see the second button?

Which Edge, the one that comes with Windows or the new chrome version? I
have the one that comes with Windows. I could install Chrome I guess, or
use Edge. But considering that Firefox works with everything else, I
don't see why I should have to install/use another browser just for this
one site.

I mean, if that's what I have to do, I will. I'm just saying, I'd like
to know why it doesn't work before I do that, because I can't see any
reason why it shouldn't work. It worked before after all. Thanks for
checking, I'm happy that there's a solution. It just bothers me to throw
up my hands and go, that thing doesn't work, better use something else,
when I can't see why the thing doesn't work. If for instance Edge and
Chrome supported audio playback and Firefox didn't for some reason, OK,
there you go, you have to use another browser. I'm off to check Edge,
seriously, thanks! Huh! I guess it's the new chrome version of Edge,
because I couldn't get it to work with the Edge in 1909 at all. So yeah.
I'd really like to avoid installing a totally new browser for one single
site, if I can help it.

On 2/6/2020 12:35, George McCoy wrote:
> John,
>

> Unfortunately, we now live in an age where one browser just doesn't
> fit all sites.
>

> Do you have any other browsers available?
>
> I can't click the play/pause button with the latest firefox either,
> but I can click it with google chrome, Microsoft Edge and brave.
>

> George
>
> On 2/6/2020 11:49 AM, John Isige wrote:
>> I know I've asked about this before, but since I just got another
>> thing I want to check out and can't, here goes again.
>>

>> I'm using latest Firefox, 72.0.2, and NVDA 2019.2.1. What I used to
>> do to make things play on Bandcamp was get to the play button, hit
>> NVDA-numpad-slash, and then numpad-slash to play. That doesn't work
>> anymore. Here's the thing I'm trying to check out.
>>

>> https://etrandelair.bandcamp.com/album/music-from-saharan-whatsapp
>>

>> If anybody knows/figures out a way to get these tracks to play, I'd
>> really appreciate knowing about it. I used to check stuff out all the
>> time and I can't now. It's really frustrating, especially in a case
>> like this where the albums are only going to be available for a month
>> and then disappear. I can't figure out if I want to buy them or not
>> if I can't hear them.

Gene

I just checked using the latest version of Firefox and the interface is the same.  Down arrow past the play/pause button and use the space bar on the unlabeled button which will play and pause.

I know I've asked about this before, but since I just got another thing
I want to check out and can't, here goes again.

I'm using latest Firefox, 72.0.2, and NVDA 2019.2.1. What I used to do
to make things play on Bandcamp was get to the play button, hit
NVDA-numpad-slash, and then numpad-slash to play. That doesn't work
anymore. Here's the thing I'm trying to check out.

https://etrandelair.bandcamp.com/album/music-from-saharan-whatsapp

If anybody knows/figures out a way to get these tracks to play, I'd
really appreciate knowing about it. I used to check stuff out all the
time and I can't now. It's really frustrating, especially in a case like
this where the albums are only going to be available for a month and
then disappear. I can't figure out if I want to buy them or not if I
can't hear them.

CARLOS-ESTEBAN

Hello.

I beliebe that not is problem of Firefox, is problem of the accessibility of the site. Firefox now have an accessibility properties inspector, a developer cam use this tool for check the accessibility.

First, check the accessibility with test with users and developers.

Regards.

El 06/02/2020 a las 14:40, Gene escribió:
> [...]

> George
>
> On 2/6/2020 11:49 AM, John Isige wrote:
>> I know I've asked about this before, but since I just got another
>> thing I want to check out and can't, here goes again.
>>

>> I'm using latest Firefox, 72.0.2, and NVDA 2019.2.1. What I used to
>> do to make things play on Bandcamp was get to the play button, hit
>> NVDA-numpad-slash, and then numpad-slash to play. That doesn't work
>> anymore. Here's the thing I'm trying to check out.
>>

>> https://etrandelair.bandcamp.com/album/music-from-saharan-whatsapp
>>

>> If anybody knows/figures out a way to get these tracks to play, I'd
>> really appreciate knowing about it. I used to check stuff out all the
>> time and I can't now. It's really frustrating, especially in a case
>> like this where the albums are only going to be available for a month
>> and then disappear. I can't figure out if I want to buy them or not

hurrikennyandopo ...

Hi

yes the accessibility inspector pointed out quite a few problems with a web site I am dealing with mostly un labled graphics It shows the problems I wish there was a way to copy and paste the results into a email or save as a text file.

At the moment I just have to point them in the right direction of where to find it.

It will also be added to my website as a resource for others to know it exists in fire fox.

Gene nz

.

On 7/02/2020 9:02 am, CARLOS-ESTEBAN wrote:

> [...]

> George
>
> On 2/6/2020 11:49 AM, John Isige wrote:
>> I know I've asked about this before, but since I just got another
>> thing I want to check out and can't, here goes again.
>>

>> I'm using latest Firefox, 72.0.2, and NVDA 2019.2.1. What I used to
>> do to make things play on Bandcamp was get to the play button, hit
>> NVDA-numpad-slash, and then numpad-slash to play. That doesn't work
>> anymore. Here's the thing I'm trying to check out.
>>

>> https://etrandelair.bandcamp.com/album/music-from-saharan-whatsapp
>>

>> If anybody knows/figures out a way to get these tracks to play, I'd
>> really appreciate knowing about it. I used to check stuff out all the
>> time and I can't now. It's really frustrating, especially in a case
>> like this where the albums are only going to be available for a month
>> and then disappear. I can't figure out if I want to buy them or not

John Isige

Thanks Gene! That works just fine. But interestingly, it's not only
unlabeled, it just reads as "blank" for me, it doesn't show up as a
button. That's probably why it never occurred to me to try it. Now I
just have to remember all of the stuff I saw on the site but couldn't play.

On 2/6/2020 13:59, Gene wrote:
[...]

Good luck with that, John.  Maybe you should contact Mozilla and ask why version 72.0.2 doesn't work with Bandcamp and NVDA.  I suspect that, by the time they get back to you, if they ever do, the album you want to preview will be long gone.

I was able to play the song to which your link pointed with the version of edge that comes with windows 10 1909.

George

On 2/6/2020 1:19 PM, John Isige wrote:
[...]

With firefox 72.0.2, down arrow takes me to a clickable that sends me off somewhere else on the page but does not play the song.  A second and third down arrow show me the previous and next track buttons, neither of which can be clicked with firefox and nvda.  Maybe I'll try it with Narrator when I have a spare moment.

George

On 2/6/2020 1:40 PM, Gene wrote:
> [...]

> George
>
> On 2/6/2020 11:49 AM, John Isige wrote:
>> I know I've asked about this before, but since I just got another
>> thing I want to check out and can't, here goes again.
>>

>> I'm using latest Firefox, 72.0.2, and NVDA 2019.2.1. What I used to
>> do to make things play on Bandcamp was get to the play button, hit
>> NVDA-numpad-slash, and then numpad-slash to play. That doesn't work
>> anymore. Here's the thing I'm trying to check out.
>>

>> https://etrandelair.bandcamp.com/album/music-from-saharan-whatsapp
>>

>> If anybody knows/figures out a way to get these tracks to play, I'd
>> really appreciate knowing about it. I used to check stuff out all the
>> time and I can't now. It's really frustrating, especially in a case
>> like this where the albums are only going to be available for a month
>> and then disappear. I can't figure out if I want to buy them or not

George McCoy

That's very cool, John.  I'm happy to hear that you can use the site again with your favorite browser.

George