NVDA and Bandcamp.

John Isige

Hi all.

I've asked this question before, but it was ages ago, so I'm asking it again for two reasons. Is there a way to do it, i.e. did something change, and if not, where do I complain about it to get it fixed?

Is there a way to play things on Bandcamp using NVDA? I use Firefox, but I've also tried it on Chrome and Edge, so switching browsers isn't going to help. I literally just checked with Edge. Here's our sample page.

https://hamasynth.bandcamp.com/

If I hit 'b' to go to the first play/pause button, I've tried:

1. Routing with numpad-zero numpad-slash, and then double clicking with numpad slash. This used to work, but hasn't for a while.

2. Routing as above, and hitting numpad-zero numpad-enter.

3. Getting on to the button via normal navigation, e.g. tab, arrows, and hitting enter.

4. Same, but hitting space.

5. Same, hitting shift-numpad-enter, this just opens a new window.

Somebody said a while ago that there's a graphic next to the buttons. For a while, sometimes I could find it, it would read as a blank line, and if I hit enter on that, it would play. But it didn't show up consistently, even within the same page, and I haven't seen that happen in, probably over a year.

So basically, with NVDA and any browser I know of, I can't make things play on Bandcamp, and I'd really like to, because it's pretty hard to decide if you're going to buy music if you can't hear it. If there's no solution for this, do I post on NVDA's Github page? Do I try to get in touch with Bandcamp? Both? I'd really like this to get solved, one way or another. If that means I'm being dumb and missing something obvious, so much the better. But I'm pretty sure it's just broken, because I'm fairly sure others have had problems with it too.

David Griffith

I am afraid I only find this  site accessible with Jaws and I cannot get it to work with either  NVDA or Narrator though I would love to know how to use it in NVDA.

Even with Jaws you have to rely on  the Jaws cursor and the use of the virtual mouse click.

I have tried using object navigation in NVDA but I am afraid for me a least object navigation does not cut it in situations like this and I have never managed to get anywhere with NVDA on the page.

If you have a copy of Jaws in perhaps 40 minute demo mode available then the steps are.

Press B to navigate to the play pause button.

Press Jaws key plus numpad minus to route Jaws scan cursor to PC.

Now press numpad  slash to perform a virtual mouse click  and the music will start playing.

Interestingly now you can also easily pause it by pressing the space bar.

David Griffith

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

[...]

John,

I'd suggest you have a look at the Chrome extension, Bandcamp Player Keyboard Shortcuts, which can be used on any Chromium-based browser if you set those other browsers to allow extensions from outside sources (if that's necessary).  It was last updated in December 2020, so it's unlikely to be dead, though I will not guarantee that. See this article on how to enable Chrome Web Store Extensions in Edge:

How to Install Google Chrome Extensions in Microsoft Edge

Brave automatically allows and uses the Chrome Web Store for Extensions, and in Vivaldi this is under the Privacy settings, in a dedicated section for Google Extensions, and appears to be automatically enabled as well (unless I turned this on at one point and have forgotten, and I don't think I did).

      ~ Brian Vogel

David Griffith

Very good – the link did not work but I found it anyway with a web search.

Of course it will not work with NVDA in Browse mode – you need to switch to focus mode with NVDA spacebar but then it works nicely with a simple press of the spacebar playing and pausing the music.

Other key shortcuts are available.

Definitely a find – thank you.

[...]

Jonathan COHN

Hello,
Bandcamp could add a simple href="" or actually use buttons instead of anchors that are then told by aria that they are buttons.
Perhaps asking for an enhancement to NVDA for the ability to have space converted to a move mouse to object and then click when space is pressed on a <a> with role=button.

So, band camp could add a attribute or add a keyup handler and this button should work.

On Jun 11, 2021, at 12:18, John Isige <gwynn@tds.net> wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the suggestion!

Since I didn't feel like using another browser just for Bandcamp, I searched to see if there's a Firefox extension, and found this.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/bandcamp-fast-play/

If not in focus mode, ctrl-space plays and pauses. If in focus mode, space plays and pauses, and q and d do previous and next track respectively. If not in focus mode, q and d don't work.

It's still a little tricky to make work, it doesn't seem to work on the play button at the top where I think it just plays whatever track it has for a sample, or the first track if you can play all of them. Also I did run into an issue where I had to go to a play button in the list of tracks a couple of times to get it to be focused on the button so space would work when I went into focus mode. There might be other extensions that work better, this is just the first one I saw that was particularly about playing with the keyboard. So it looks like browser extensions FTW!

On 6/11/2021 11:49 AM, Brian Vogel wrote:
John,

I'd suggest you have a look at the Chrome extension, Bandcamp Player Keyboard Shortcuts, which can be used on any Chromium-based browser if you set those other browsers to allow extensions from outside sources (if that's necessary).  It was last updated in December 2020, so it's unlikely to be dead, though I will not guarantee that. See this article on how to enable Chrome Web Store Extensions in Edge:

How to Install Google Chrome Extensions in Microsoft Edge

Brave automatically allows and uses the Chrome Web Store for Extensions, and in Vivaldi this is under the Privacy settings, in a dedicated section for Google Extensions, and appears to be automatically enabled as well (unless I turned this on at one point and have forgotten, and I don't think I did).

      ~ Brian Vogel

Luke Davis

David Griffith wrote:

Of course it will not work with NVDA in Browse mode – you need to switch to focus mode with NVDA spacebar but then it works nicely with a simple press of
the spacebar playing and pausing the music.
Why "of course"? I would expect it to work fine in browse mode, with single letter nav disabled (NVDA+shift+space).

Luke