From: Mallard
Sent: Thursday, March 17, 2016 6:27 AM
Subject: [nvda] NVDA and Carousel

Hello all,

Is there a way of blocking/removing Carousel from web pages with NVDA?

My son helped me get rid of it on an online supermarket, but he tells me
he did it via Adblock, and wouldn't know how to make me do it in an
accessible way.

This constant refresh of web pages is really annoying. I know I
mentioned this before, but I didn't know that the problem is caused by
Carousel...

If anyone has any suggestions, they'll be very welcome.
Thanks a lot.
Ciao,
Ollie
ps: Would this be material for a possible add-on?

Mallard

Sure!

www.esselungaacasa.it

Don't take into account the fact that the pade is in Italian; the point is that it keeps refreshing, and you can see that very easily.

Ciao,
Ollie

Il 17/03/2016 13:18, Gene ha scritto:
Can you give a link to a page where this happens?
Is there a way of blocking/removing Carousel from web pages with NVDA?

My son helped me get rid of it on an online supermarket, but he tells me
he did it via Adblock, and wouldn't know how to make me do it in an
accessible way.

This constant refresh of web pages is really annoying. I know I
mentioned this before, but I didn't know that the problem is caused by
Carousel...

If anyone has any suggestions, they'll be very welcome.
Thanks a lot.
Ciao,
Ollie
ps: Would this be material for a possible add-on?

Gene

It doesn't refresh here using Firefox.  I didn't log in because I am not registered.  I went to the address you gave and no refreshes occurred.  I followed the link that said "enter", as I understand the Italian word.  there too, no refreshes occurred.

I can't test with IE11, if that is what you are using.  I don't have it.

Don't take into account the fact that the pade is in Italian; the point
is that it keeps refreshing, and you can see that very easily.

Ciao,
Ollie

Il 17/03/2016 13:18, Gene ha scritto:
> Can you give a link to a page where this happens?
> Gene

Yes, I'm afraid you have to log in. I thought about that after I sent the link.

It does refresh, indeed it does!!!
But, the point is blocking Carousel.
If there are programmers around the place, they should know what I mean.

Thanks for trying...
Ciao,
Ollie

Il 17/03/2016 14:35, Gene ha scritto:
[...]

Gene and all,

If you want to try this site without loggging inn, do the following:

www.esselungaacasa.it

And then find a link called

visita il supermercato

and click on it.

Youll get Carousel in action there...

Ciao, and thanks.
Ollie

Il 17/03/2016 16:05, Mallard ha scritto:
[...]

If you are describing the page starting to read from the beginning repeatedly, that doesn't happen using Firefox and NVDA.  On the slow computer I'm testing with, there are pauses every few seconds but, though annoying, that doesn't cause me to lose my place when reading or moving on the page.  I had to tab once to get into the page but after that, I could move around.  The pauses are a little annoying but not a major problem.  This is a very slow computer and a faster computer might have these delays but they might be very short, perhaps a second or less in length.  On mine, the pauses are two or three sedconds in length.

This may be a case where, if you are using Internet Explorer, using Firefox or Chrome might solve the problem.

If you want to try this site without loggging inn, do the following:

www.esselungaacasa.it

And then find a link called

visita il supermercato

and click on it.

Youll get Carousel in action there...

Ciao, and thanks.
Ollie

Il 17/03/2016 16:05, Mallard ha scritto:
> Yes, I'm afraid you have to log in. I thought about that after I sent
> the link.
>
> It does refresh, indeed it does!!!
> But, the point is blocking Carousel.
> If there are programmers around the place, they should know what I mean.
>
> Thanks for trying...
> Ciao,
> Ollie
>

> Il 17/03/2016 14:35, Gene ha scritto:
>> It doesn't refresh here using Firefox.  I didn't log in because I am
>> not registered.  I went to the address you gave and no refreshes
>> occurred.  I followed the link that said "enter", as I understand the
>> Italian word.  there too, no refreshes occurred.
>> I can't test with IE11, if that is what you are using.  I don't have it.
>> Gene

It does refresh constantly here. You can't even click on a link, because it escapes under my finger on the braille display.

My computer is pretty old, but I use the latest version of Firefox. I assure you I'm blind, but an idiot. The page refreshes, and how.
No more of this.
Ciao,
Ollie

Il 17/03/2016 18:30, Gene ha scritto:
[...]

I don't know why that is and it is to see if your experience is general or not that other people should test the page.  At this point, we have two different results and we don't know why.  We also don't know whether one of our results is typical.

I haven't tried this but you may find that saving the page and then opening the saved page stops the problem.  I have no idea but you might want to try it.  Instead of saving the entire page in the default setting, saving it as single page, html only, would save room and might help stop the behavior.

It does refresh constantly here. You can't even click on a link, because
it escapes under my finger on the braille display.

My computer is pretty old, but I use the latest version of Firefox. I
assure you I'm blind, but an idiot. The page refreshes, and how.
No more of this.
Ciao,
Ollie

Il 17/03/2016 18:30, Gene ha scritto:
> If you are describing the page starting to read from the beginning
> repeatedly, that doesn't happen using Firefox and NVDA.  On the slow
> computer I'm testing with, there are pauses every few seconds but,
> though annoying, that doesn't cause me to lose my place when reading
> or moving on the page.  I had to tab once to get into the page but
> after that, I could move around. The pauses are a little annoying but
> not a major problem.  This is a very slow computer and a faster
> computer might have these delays but they might be very short, perhaps
> a second or less in length.  On mine, the pauses are two or three
> sedconds in length.
> This may be a case where, if you are using Internet Explorer, using
> Firefox or Chrome might solve the problem.
> Gene

Thanks. I don't know, because this is an online supermarket, and I need to do my shopping on it...

Now my son blocked Carousel via Adblock Plus, but he had to do something with it, that I wouldn't know how to replicate.
Anyway, I'll try hyour suggestion on another machine.
Ciao,
Ollie

Il 17/03/2016 18:56, Gene ha scritto:
[...]

Chris Shook <chris0309@...>

Hi,
Wiki's seem to do that a lot to don't they? That is when you can get them to work with a screen reader.

Mallard

What wikis? I've never noticed that...
Ciao,
Ollie

Il 17/03/2016 20:03, Chris Shook ha scritto:
Hi,
Wiki's seem to do that a lot to don't they? That is when you can get them to work with a screen reader.

Pranav Lal

Hi,

I am using nvda 2016.1 with firefox on windows 10 professional. I did find one refresh take place but that was all. There does appear to be something on the page. I do have a braille display connected but I was able to navigate amongst the links without problems.

Pranav

Is there a way of blocking/removing Carousel from web pages with NVDA?

My son helped me get rid of it on an online supermarket, but he
tells me
he did it via Adblock, and wouldn't know how to make me do it in an
accessible way.

This constant refresh of web pages is really annoying. I know I
mentioned this before, but I didn't know that the problem is caused
by Carousel...

If anyone has any suggestions, they'll be very welcome.
Thanks a lot.
Ciao,
Ollie
ps: Would this be material for a possible add-on?

Chris Shook <chris0309@...>

Pick the wiki of your favorite show. For whatever reason, I have trouble navigating those with internet explorer.

Mallard

Ok, I'll try with Firefox, and see what happens.

I did some research on the web last night, and I found a lot of instructions for devs and webmasters for creating accessible carousels (or slideshows, as tehy called them in alternative).

Nothing specific to screen readers though.

However, from what I could see around the web, the problem exists, and it's well known and discussed.
Hope soemthing can be done.

Blicking or removing them in Firefox, via Adblock Plus, is indeed possible, but I'm afraid it isn't something a blind or visually impaired person can do very easily.

Ciao,
Ollie

Il 18/03/2016 03:02, Chris Shook ha scritto:
Pick the wiki of your favorite show. For whatever reason, I have trouble navigating those with internet explorer.

Mallard

Ciao Pranav,

Thanks for testing.

I'm afraid these horrors appear once you're actually logged in. M yson saw them too, and blocked them for me.
Now I'm fine on this page, but I wonder whether it would be possible to do someghing about them more in general. Either through an add-on for NVDA, or by making it easier to adjust in Adblock Plus.
I must study this seriously...

Ciao again,
Ollie