Topics

NVDA and ccleaner

Don H

downloaded and install the latest free version of ccleaner. I selected the registry option and did a scan. It found several items but I can not get NVDA to read the list of what it found.
Running Win 10 1903 and NVDA 2019.2.1
Thanks

Gene

In general, its better not to run a registry cleaner unless you have a problem that there is reason to believe is a registry problem.  and, according to an article I will reproduce below, most problems aren't registry probems. 

In the old days, when computers were much slower and Windows may not have worked with the registry as efficiently, it may be that using a registry cleaner may have increased performance.  I don't know if that is true but it hasn't been true for a long time.  I'm talking about the dark ages, when computers ran at something like 166mhz.  Now, computers run in the ghz range, 100 or more times faster. 
Here is an article supporting my view.  It is a contraversial question, but I have never heard a convincing argument to the contrary and I don't believe in taking even small risks for no benefit. 

Gene

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, November 06, 2019 5:24 PM
Subject: [nvda] NVDA and ccleaner

downloaded and install the latest free version of ccleaner.  I selected
the registry option and did a scan.  It found several items but I can
not get NVDA to read the list of what it found.
Thanks

On Wed, Nov 6, 2019 at 07:32 PM, Gene wrote:
In general, its better not to run a registry cleaner unless you have a problem that there is reason to believe is a registry problem.  and, according to an article I will reproduce below, most problems aren't registry probems. 
One should never, ever run registry cleaners.  They are snake oil at best, and cause disasters at worst.

"From the Horse's Mouth:"  Microsoft support policy for the use of registry cleaning utilities 
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1903, Build 18362  

The color of truth is grey.

~ André Gide

Brian Tew

Try narrator. 

Davy Cuppens

Clleaner is almost fully unaccessible; nvda or another screenreader cannot do anything about it. It is their choice not to be accessible.

-----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----
Sent: Thursday, November 07, 2019 12:24 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] NVDA and ccleaner

downloaded and install the latest free version of ccleaner. I selected
the registry option and did a scan. It found several items but I can
not get NVDA to read the list of what it found.
Thanks