From: John J. Boyer
Sent: Thursday, December 31, 2020 9:55 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] NVDA and ctrl+a

Hello,

When I pressed ctrl+a to select an entire file only the first line was highlighted. This gave me quite a start.
Further investigation showed, however, that everything was selected. Apparently NVDA was showing only the first line. It used to show everything as highlighted.

John

--
John J. Boyer
Email: john.boyer@abilitiessoft.org

John J. Boyer

I tried it in notepad, notepad== and WordPad. It was weird.

John

On Thu, Dec 31, 2020 at 10:26:55AM -0600, Gene wrote:
In what program? Control a is a windows command and I don't know if there
are any programs where NVDA might cause this to happen. But if people are
going to check, this, we should know the program where you observed this.

Also, what are you describing? Are you talking about visually seeing what
is on screen?

Gene

-----Original Message----- From: John J. Boyer
Sent: Thursday, December 31, 2020 9:55 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

Hello,

When I pressed ctrl+a to select an entire file only the first line was
highlighted. This gave me quite a start.
Further investigation showed, however, that everything was selected.
Apparently NVDA was showing only the first line. It used to show everything
as highlighted.

John

--
John J. Boyer
Email: john.boyer@abilitiessoft.org
website: http://www.abilitiessoft.org
Location: Madison, Wisconsin, USA
services
that are available at no cost

--
John J. Boyer
Email: john.boyer@abilitiessoft.org
website: http://www.abilitiessoft.org
Location: Madison, Wisconsin, USA
that are available at no cost

Quentin Christensen

Did you manage to get to the bottom of this?  Had you recently updated NVDA to the latest beta?  It sounds like the kind of odd quirk that can happen after updating and before restarting the PC.

FWIW, I just tried here with NVDA 2020.4 beta 3 and it's working as expected.

Quentin.

On Fri, Jan 1, 2021 at 4:39 AM John J. Boyer <john.boyer@...> wrote:
I tried it in notepad, notepad== and WordPad. It was weird.

John

On Thu, Dec 31, 2020 at 10:26:55AM -0600, Gene wrote:
> In what program?  Control a is a windows command and I don't know if there
> are any programs where NVDA might cause this to happen.  But if people are
> going to check, this, we should know the program where you observed this.
>
> Also, what are you describing?  Are you talking about visually seeing what
> is on screen?
>
> Gene
>
> -----Original Message----- From: John J. Boyer
> Sent: Thursday, December 31, 2020 9:55 AM
> To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
> Subject: [nvda] NVDA and ctrl+a
>
> Hello,
>
> When I pressed ctrl+a to select an entire file only the first line was
> highlighted. This gave me quite a start.
> Further investigation showed, however, that everything was selected.
> Apparently NVDA was showing only the first line. It used to show everything
> as highlighted.
>
> John
>
> --
> John J. Boyer
> Email: john.boyer@...
> website: http://www.abilitiessoft.org
> Location: Madison, Wisconsin, USA
> Mission: developing assistive technology software and providing STEM
> services
>        that are available at no cost

--
John J. Boyer