Topics

NVDA and current selection in file explorer

William Wong

Hi all,

In file explorer, after doing file or folder selection with shift up or down arrow, if I press num 5 key, it will only report the last item being selected.

After reading the user menu, it seemed that there is no way to report what are the items being selected?

Thanks,

William

hurrikennyandopo ...

Hi

the following add on might help it will also give you the status bar in file explorer and how many things you have hightlighted to copy.

The link to the drop box is https://www.dropbox.com/s/a935bus11i8y8k0/ZExplorer_1.0_Gen.nvda-addon?dl=0 <https://www.dropbox.com/s/a935bus11i8y8k0/ZExplorer_1.0_Gen.nvda-addon?dl=0> is where it is .

I had to look up in my installed add ons to see what it was called I think it might need a easier to remember name.

Gene nz

On 18/10/2020 12:27 pm, William Wong wrote:
Hi all,

In file explorer, after doing file or folder selection with shift up or down arrow, if I press num 5 key, it will only report the last item being selected.

After reading the user menu, it seemed that there is no way to report what are the items being selected?

Thanks,

William

hurrikennyandopo ...

Hi

The following will help so you know when it is selected or not and the add on will tell you how many were high lighted  etc.

Do not worry about the spelling mistakes they will be fixed up before they go to my website.

  *Selecting and unselecting files in file explorer
when you go into a folder in file explorer you might only want to copy certain files out of that folder. They might not be together or in a group. to copy only certain files out of the folder if there are heaps of them you will need to do the following.
it would be easier to go to the top of the folder so you can see all the files below. Now hold down the CTRL key then use the space bar to select or unselect hightlight files. Each time you press the space bar on a unselected file it will then become selected. Work your way down the files you want and select them with the spacebar while still holding the CTRL key.
You should hear  wheather it is select or unselected. as you arrow down the list of files.r To confirm which ones you selected while still holding down the CTRL key go to the top of the folder then arrow down the list. If it only says the name of the song it is selected but if it says the name of the song and unselected then you know it is not. Usually the status bar can be read with the NVDA key + END key but not at present.

Gene nz

On 18/10/2020 12:27 pm, William Wong wrote:
Hi all,

In file explorer, after doing file or folder selection with shift up or down arrow, if I press num 5 key, it will only report the last item being selected.

After reading the user menu, it seemed that there is no way to report what are the items being selected?

Thanks,

William

Gene

If you open a folder and don't move you will be at the top and nothing is selected. If you hold the control key and move nothing will be selected until you select it.
If you issue a command to move to the top even if you are already there and nothing was selected before, the first file will be selected. If you want nothing selected open file explorer, open the folder you want to work in and don't move until you are holding control. Or, if you want to make sure nothing is selected, perhaps you have been working in the folder already, press home to be sure you are at the top. The first file is selected.
Hold control and press the space bar. You will hear the the file is now unselected.
Then continue to down arrow still holding control until you get to a file you want to select. Follow the rest of the instructions.

[...]

Hi, what is the addon you mentioned in the email?

hurrikennyandopo ... 於 18/10/2020 9:36 寫道:

[...]

Oh sorry, I found out the link in another email.

William Wong 於 18/10/2020 10:30 寫道:

[...]

Sorry I thought I had put it into the email as well as the other steps to high light the files you wanted.

the link to the drop box where it is is athttps://www.dropbox.com/s/a935bus11i8y8k0/ZExplorer_1.0_Gen.nvda-addon?dl=1 <https://www.dropbox.com/s/a935bus11i8y8k0/ZExplorer_1.0_Gen.nvda-addon?dl=1>

Gene nz

On 18/10/2020 3:30 pm, William Wong wrote:
[...]

Louise Pfau

Hi.  I can't find the add-on you mentioned in the community add-ons list, which is where I go to get my add-ons.  Where did you originally find it?

Thanks,

Louise

hurrikennyandopo ...

Hi

the add on is not on the nvaccess add on page.

it came across the list so I downloaded it and put it into my drop box account where I have other add ons for earlier versions of nvda and later ones.

They are keaped on my nvda add ons page on my website.

some of them you will not find on the NVACCESS add on page.

The file wil tell you how many of the files are selected in the file manager as for some reason it is broken in Windows 10. You will need to know how to select the files which I done a rough tutorial for that I posted across the list. It will be tidied up and later on put on the website along with some other material.

The file can be gotten from https://www.dropbox.com/s/a935bus11i8y8k0/ZExplorer_1.0_Gen.nvda-addon?dl=1