NVDA and Edge Chromium

Chris Shook

Hi,
I recently updated my computer and after the Update, I'm having difficulty accessing the favorites menu. I can open the menu, but I can't seem to navigate it. It calls it a dialogue, but it's like it locks up.
Is anyone having that issue? If so, do you know of a work around?

Fernando Apan

Hi there.
I had the same problem back a few days ago and I tryed repairing Microsoft edge from the control panel. That fixed the issue and now I'm able to open the favorites just as I did before that update. Hope that helps. If you have any question just email me.
Stay well.
Fernando Apan.

Enviado desde mi iPhone

El 12 may 2021, a las 12:51, Chris Shook <chris0309@sero.email> escribió:

Hi,
I recently updated my computer and after the Update, I'm having difficulty accessing the favorites menu. I can open the menu, but I can't seem to navigate it. It calls it a dialogue, but it's like it locks up.
Is anyone having that issue? If so, do you know of a work around?

Ben J. Bloomgren

Thank you, Fernando, I'll try that out. I had liked Edge before the update.

Ben

On May 12, 2021, at 17:47, Fernando Apan <ferapan@utexas.edu> wrote:

Hi there.
I had the same problem back a few days ago and I tryed repairing Microsoft edge from the control panel. That fixed the issue and now I'm able to open the favorites just as I did before that update. Hope that helps. If you have any question just email me.
Stay well.
Fernando Apan.

Enviado desde mi iPhone

El 12 may 2021, a las 12:51, Chris Shook <chris0309@sero.email> escribió:

Hi,
I recently updated my computer and after the Update, I'm having difficulty accessing the favorites menu. I can open the menu, but I can't seem to navigate it. It calls it a dialogue, but it's like it locks up.
Is anyone having that issue? If so, do you know of a work around?

Chris Shook

Hi Fernando,
Thanks for the suggestion. I tried it, but it's a no go. It didn't fox it. Incidentally, it also effects the downloads folder, So I guess I'll have to switch to GoogleChrome for now.

Bobby

Well try to find a copy of Microsoft edge at www.filehorse.com. Or try resetting your windows 10 or you can format the hard drive Butt I would try to get a copy of edge before trying any of these ideas to fix edge.  Try Microsoft's web site as well as filehorse.  Good luck

On 5/12/2021 11:50 PM, Chris Shook wrote:
Hi Fernando,
Thanks for the suggestion. I tried it, but it's a no go. It didn't fox it. Incidentally, it also effects the downloads folder, So I guess I'll have to switch to GoogleChrome for now.

Gene

I wouldn’t reinstall Windows 10 or get another copy or reset the computer.  This is a very small problem, just affecting downloads  and there are so many other browsers that can be used for this purpose that just using another one would make the most sense.  Evidently, the browser can be used for all other ;purposes as well as before.

I don’t know if Edge will let you install another copy of Edge over itself.

Recently, my download behavior changed in Edge as well.  I just use another browser for downloading.  The change in behavior is different than what you describe but it is annoying.  If enough others have undesirable changes, Microsoft will correct the problem.  Meanwhile, not every problem needs to be solved and [putting much time and effort into solving this one isn’t worth it.

resetting your windows 10 or you can format the hard drive Butt I would
try to get a copy of edge before trying any of these ideas to fix edge.
Try Microsoft's web site as well as filehorse.  Good luck

On 5/12/2021 11:50 PM, Chris Shook wrote:
> Hi Fernando,
> Thanks for the suggestion. I tried it, but it's a no go. It didn't fox
> it. Incidentally, it also effects the downloads folder, So I guess
> I'll have to switch to GoogleChrome for now.

Bobby

just to let you all know I went to the Microsoft site and I also looked on filehorse.com and I found a copy of Microsoft edge in both places. because edge is for mack as well as windows 10  If you want to try to fix edge than go for it and good luck.

On 5/13/2021 3:52 AM, Gene wrote:
I wouldn’t reinstall Windows 10 or get another copy or reset the computer.  This is a very small problem, just affecting downloads  and there are so many other browsers that can be used for this purpose that just using another one would make the most sense.  Evidently, the browser can be used for all other ;purposes as well as before.

I don’t know if Edge will let you install another copy of Edge over itself.

Recently, my download behavior changed in Edge as well.  I just use another browser for downloading.  The change in behavior is different than what you describe but it is annoying.  If enough others have undesirable changes, Microsoft will correct the problem.  Meanwhile, not every problem needs to be solved and [putting much time and effort into solving this one isn’t worth it.

resetting your windows 10 or you can format the hard drive Butt I would
try to get a copy of edge before trying any of these ideas to fix edge.
Try Microsoft's web site as well as filehorse.  Good luck

On 5/12/2021 11:50 PM, Chris Shook wrote:
> Hi Fernando,
> Thanks for the suggestion. I tried it, but it's a no go. It didn't fox
> it. Incidentally, it also effects the downloads folder, So I guess
> I'll have to switch to GoogleChrome for now.

Gene

It will be interesting to see if Windows lets you install Edge over itself if you decide to try that.  You can't uninstall it which is why I am talking about installing over it.  I doubt that installing over the program will solve the problem.  It appears to be the result of a recent update.  I first noticed odd download behavior a number of days ago.  I don't download in Chrome much but a few days before, downloads were occurring just as I expected.

Perhaps Microsoft will correct this problem, if it is a general one.  I'll be curiously awaiting developments.

Gene

On 5/13/2021 3:52 AM, Gene wrote:
I wouldn’t reinstall Windows 10 or get another copy or reset the computer.  This is a very small problem, just affecting downloads  and there are so many other browsers that can be used for this purpose that just using another one would make the most sense.  Evidently, the browser can be used for all other ;purposes as well as before.

I don’t know if Edge will let you install another copy of Edge over itself.

Recently, my download behavior changed in Edge as well.  I just use another browser for downloading.  The change in behavior is different than what you describe but it is annoying.  If enough others have undesirable changes, Microsoft will correct the problem.  Meanwhile, not every problem needs to be solved and [putting much time and effort into solving this one isn’t worth it.

resetting your windows 10 or you can format the hard drive Butt I would
try to get a copy of edge before trying any of these ideas to fix edge.
Try Microsoft's web site as well as filehorse.  Good luck

On 5/12/2021 11:50 PM, Chris Shook wrote:
> Hi Fernando,
> Thanks for the suggestion. I tried it, but it's a no go. It didn't fox
> it. Incidentally, it also effects the downloads folder, So I guess
> I'll have to switch to GoogleChrome for now.

Chris Shook

If someone decides to try, let me know how it turns out.

On Thu, May 13, 2021 at 11:16 AM, Gene wrote:
You can't uninstall it which is why I am talking about installing over it.
-
You actually can remove Windows components and add Windows components using PowerShell.  There are lots of tutorials out there about how to remove and reinstall the Edge browser.

I'd still just consider, Doing a Windows 10 Repair Install or Feature Update Using the Windows 10 ISO file, which is easier and kills multiple potential issues with one fell swoop.

We're all in agreement that this is an issue with Windows rather than NVDA itself.

       ~ Richard M. Nixon

Chris Shook

Just out of curiosity, can someone use JAWS with Edge Chromium and see what happens?

Arlene

What’s wrong with it?  I almost always use Google chrome.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Just out of curiosity, can someone use JAWS with Edge Chromium and see

what happens?

Arlene

I have Jaws and will use it. I haven’t updated edge. It’s there but I haven’t used it in ages.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Just out of curiosity, can someone use JAWS with Edge Chromium and see

what happens?

Gene

Edge automatically updates itself but if you haven’t used it in some time, you should open it and let it sit for a few minutes.  Then use the about dialog to see if it is running the current version.  Since the complained of problem occurred after an update, your results wouldn’t match the test criteria unless the program is known to be current.

I have Jaws and will use it. I haven’t updated edge. It’s there but I haven’t used it in ages.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Just out of curiosity, can someone use JAWS with Edge Chromium and see

what happens?

Arlene

Oh, okay. So, if I open Edge. He will just sit there and update himself? I’ll do that right now.