Topics

nvda and ham calls

Sarah k Alawami

Hello to all. For those that don't know, I'm an amateur radio operator, and in a week I'm due to run a net. Fine, except I struggle with reading ham calls. I know on the BNS there was a ham calls option where it would read those such as ke7zum. Is there such a thing for nvda? Or can an option be thought of, an add on that could be turned on and off at will to allow for such? I know this won't happen by the 27th when I'm due to control, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who would like this.

I'm using the ibm tts voices but espeak and david does this as well. I can't code or I would find a way to do this myself.

The thing that makes this harder is not all call signs are 2 by 3 like mine. Some are a 1 by 1, or a 1 by 2. I've even seen some 2 by 2 calls.

Thanks all.

Roger Stewart

I'll second this one!  I can't understand regular expressions but someone might be able to make an add on to do this.

KG9GP

Roger

On 10/22/2020 12:26 PM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:

Hello to all. For those that don't know, I'm an amateur radio operator, and in a week I'm due to run a net. Fine, except I struggle with reading ham calls. I know on the BNS there was a ham calls option where it would read those such as ke7zum. Is there such a thing for nvda? Or can an option be thought of, an add on that could be turned on and off at will to allow for such? I know this won't happen by the 27th when I'm due to control, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who would like this.

I'm using the ibm tts voices but espeak and david does this as well. I can't code or I would find a way to do this myself.

The thing that makes this harder is not all call signs are 2 by 3 like mine. Some are a 1 by 1, or a 1 by 2. I've even seen some 2 by 2 calls.

Thanks all.

Ron Canazzi

Hi Sara,

Using JAWS, there was a setting to 'spell alpha numeric expressions.'  NVDA does  not have this option. What I do when running nets is to highlight the callsign and then use the keypad 5 key to read the callsign and if I can't tell what the call is initially, I double punch the 5 key to have the expression spelled alpha numerically as in alpha alpha 2 victor Mike.

On 10/22/2020 1:26 PM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:

Hello to all. For those that don't know, I'm an amateur radio operator, and in a week I'm due to run a net. Fine, except I struggle with reading ham calls. I know on the BNS there was a ham calls option where it would read those such as ke7zum. Is there such a thing for nvda? Or can an option be thought of, an add on that could be turned on and off at will to allow for such? I know this won't happen by the 27th when I'm due to control, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who would like this.

I'm using the ibm tts voices but espeak and david does this as well. I can't code or I would find a way to do this myself.

The thing that makes this harder is not all call signs are 2 by 3 like mine. Some are a 1 by 1, or a 1 by 2. I've even seen some 2 by 2 calls.

Thanks all.

They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

Sarah k Alawami

I can't do that. I use an app called "netlogger." and using what ever that would be in laptop keys yields "blank blank blank" even though I typed in the stuff. So that won't work. You can find out more about netlogger here. and it's free so feel free to download and see what I mean.

On 22 Oct 2020, at 11:57, Ron Canazzi wrote:

[...]

Chris Smart

Hey Sara, you'll only get "blank" when you are trying to read the callsign you just entered.

In that case, hit Numpad 4, then a few quick taps of Numpad 5. I'm using a PC keyboard, so you'll have to change those to their Laptop equivalents.

when simply arrowing up and down through a pre-existing list of check-ins, Numpad 5 works every time here.

On 2020-10-22 4:00 p.m., Sarah k Alawami wrote:

[...]

I can't remember the laptop keys, can someone remind me again? I'm actually not near my windows machine right now. Lol! Sorry all. I'll have to practice this before Tuesday. Lol! I think I tried nvda left and right when focused on a call and got blank blank blank as well. But I was trying to rush through and was trying to only use one hand, which is why I asked about a ham calls add on so I could only use one hand while the other holds a radio.

I don't expect any results by Tuesday but I do want to put the bee in someone's bonnet in that regard.

Blessings.

On 2020-10-22 4:00 p.m., Sarah k Alawami wrote:

[...]

Does this net logger have an edit field for each item?  If so, then either try using screen review or object navigation. I used to use an old ham database program years ago and using NVDA, if you moved to the edit field and then switched to object navigation, highlighted the callsign and then used the 5 key you could usually get it to work. If not try using screen review--a bit clumsy, but it may also work.

On 10/22/2020 4:00 PM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:

[...]

It does not. You type in the sign and hit enter. If I need to edit a call, good luck, as that part is hard to do so I'd better get it right.

To read the calls, I up and down arrow but I cannot move left and right to read the characters and hitting nvda left and right yields blank blank blank. In fact object mode yields nothing at least in the net logger window.

On 22 Oct 2020, at 14:19, Ron Canazzi wrote:

[...]

Try one more thing and if it doesn't work, then find another program. Once in a while, when all else fails, highlight the whole edit field and then (laptop equivalent) press the read line keystroke twice quickly. With desktop, that is insert + up arrow.

On 10/22/2020 9:41 PM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:

[...]

Like I said, this program does not have edit fields per-say. Even in notepad I can't read the calls correctly, and remember I'm using 1 hand. I even tried all caps and that idea failed last Tuesday when I was logging for someone. Again, if you want more info go to their website.

I can try this Saturday when I practice logging for the Saturday morning digital net, that is, if I'm alert enough to practice. By the way you do have to be a ham to dl the software, so can the hams please help? I really don't want to find another piece of software as let's say my computer reboots, I can have someone take over while I get up and running, so long as they have the pw to log.

Blessings all, I'm off to bed. I have a 3 hour training to do tomorrow.

On 22 Oct 2020, at 21:50, Ron Canazzi wrote:

[...]

Many of us are not having the problems you describe with Netlogger. and using Notepad is about as simple as it gets.

If the computer is problematic, are you a competant Braille reader and writer?

On 2020-10-23 1:31 a.m., Sarah k Alawami wrote:

[...]

Steve Matzura

Just so happens I'm NCS for tomorrow's BHDN, so you can ride along and watch once I get the net log opened, which I'll do at about 9:45 Eastern Time. I use NVDA with Net Logger because it's the only thing that works correctly with it. It doesn't matter whether you type the callsign in upper- or lower-case. It can definitely be done one-handed.

In your message (see below) you said you've encountered a one-by-one call. Wow, that must've been a very special vanity call. I have never heard of a one by one ham call in over fifty years of hamming, but there's always something new goin' on somewhere. LOL.

On 2020-10-23 1:31 a.m., Sarah k Alawami wrote:

[...]

A one by one call sounds like it was probably a special event call.

Roger

On 2020-10-23 1:31 a.m., Sarah k Alawami wrote:

[...]

No I am not. The errors might be on my part. Iv'e been using computers for close to 30 years, but I'm probably overthinking this. I'll practice tonight, if the net I'm going to happens, I mean it will happen, but if I'm off. I want my reports to look professional and I want someone to take it if let's say I have to go use the little ham shack room, or my computer reboots, or if I die, what ever the case might be, plus the software over all is good. I might do a demo of netlogger for my podcast and show the good, the very good, the bad and the ugly.

Anyway, I hope one day an add on for ham calls can be come up with in case we cannot use notepad, or we are reading on on a site and cannot go character by character for some reason. I'd love it for fluency. Ke7zum verses k e 7 z u m.

Shameless plug, I will be running that net on Tuesday, if you want to listen, let me knot privately and I'll give you all the info.

I'll run some tests tomorrow or Monday.

On 2020-10-23 1:31 a.m., Sarah k Alawami wrote:

[...]

Well regardless, can a special expression be written to take these? With so many variations, I'm guessing the answer is no. I am not a coder, but again I'll play with this during tomorrow digital net and see.

Blessings to all and thanks everyone, I mean it. Thanks. Hopefully a solution like the bns can be come up with but in the interim, at least I can do something.

On 2020-10-23 1:31 a.m., Sarah k Alawami wrote:

[...]

Howard Traxler

Sorry to be off topic here, but:
Is there a tutorial or instructions for using netlogger with a screen reader?  Using NVDA here, I can't seem to read some stuff that I probably need to use the program.

Thanks.
Howard

On 10/22/2020 4:19 PM, Ron Canazzi wrote:
Hi Sara,

Does this net logger have an edit field for each item?  If so, then either try using screen review or object navigation. I used to use an old ham database program years ago and using NVDA, if you moved to the edit field and then switched to object navigation, highlighted the callsign and then used the 5 key you could usually get it to work. If not try using screen review--a bit clumsy, but it may also work.

On 10/22/2020 4:00 PM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:

I can't do that. I use an app called "netlogger." and using what ever that would be in laptop keys yields "blank blank blank" even though I typed in the stuff. So that won't work. You can find out more about netlogger here. <http://netlogger.org> and it's free so feel free to download and see what I mean.

--

Sarah Alawami, owner of TFFP. . For more info go to our website. <http://www.tffppodcast.com>

Check out my adventures with a shadow machine. <http://tffppodcast.com/shadow>

Our discord <http://discord.tffppodcast.com> is where you will know when we go live on twitch. <http://twitch.tv/ke7zum> Feel free to give the channel a follow and see what is up there.

For stream archives, products you can buy and more visit my main lbry page <http://lbry.tv/@ke7zum> and my tffp lbry page <http://lbry.tv/@tffp> You will also be able to buy some of my products and eBooks there.

Finally, to become a patron and help support the podcast go here <Http://patreon.com/tffppodcast>

<http://www.tffppodcast.com>

<http://tffppodcast.com/shadow>

Our discord <http://discord.tffppodcast.com> is where you will
know when we go live on twitch. <http://twitch.tv/ke7zum> Feel
free to give the channel a follow and see what is up there.

For stream archives, products you can buy and more visit my main
lbry page <http://lbry.tv/@ke7zum> and my tffp lbry page
<http://lbry.tv/@tffp> You will also be able to buy some of my
products and eBooks there.

<Http://patreon.com/tffppodcast>
--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

Chris Smart

That would definitely be a good topic for an episode of the CQ blind Hams Podcast.

On 2020-10-23 12:08 p.m., Howard Traxler wrote:
[...]

No, not at all. The net logger window is fairly simple to use, and i plan to set up an online net to test with. Just go into the split button in object nav and you can change a bunch of stuff there. I dunno when it will get tone as I have a lot on my plate but I either by myself or with my partner might do a podcast on net logger.

On 23 Oct 2020, at 9:08, Howard Traxler wrote:

[...]

How does netlogger relate to notepad?  When I had a working braille display, I used excel.  Now that I don't, I use the good old perkins
Brailler.

Sure wish I could use my Alva 380 with NVDA

Howard, WA9RYF

On 2020-10-23 1:31 a.m., Sarah k Alawami wrote:

Like I said, this program does not have edit fields per-say. Even in notepad I can't read the calls correctly, and remember I'm using 1 hand. I even tried all caps and that idea failed last Tuesday when I was logging for someone. Again, if you want more info go to their website. <http://netlogger.org>

[...]

Netlogger has nothing to do with Notepad.

Please go to this URL and read about it if you are interested or curious.

https://www.netlogger.org/