Topics

NVDA and language support

Chelsea

Hello,

I apologize if this is a re-post.

I received a job fair email that highlighted several languages. They
are: Balochi, Chinese/Mandarin, Dari, Farsi, Hindi, Kazakh, Kyrgyz,
Pashto, Persian,
Punjabi, Russian, Somali, Swahili, Tajik, Turkish, Urdu, Uzbek

When looking through NVDA's speech and Braille settings, I see that
some of these languages have speech support only, and some only have
Braille support. Some have both.

Are there plans to expand language support even further in the future?

Thank you from a curious user,
Chelsea

Devin Prater

This depends on ESpeak-NG, for speech, and LibLouis, for braille.
Devin Prater
r.d.t.prater@...

Https://devinprater.github.io

On Aug 3, 2020, at 8:04 AM, Chelsea <Lady.arwen15@...> wrote:

Hello,

I apologize if this is a re-post.

I received a job fair email that highlighted several languages. They
are: Balochi, Chinese/Mandarin, Dari, Farsi, Hindi, Kazakh, Kyrgyz,
Pashto, Persian,
Punjabi, Russian, Somali, Swahili, Tajik, Turkish, Urdu, Uzbek

When looking through NVDA's speech and Braille settings, I see that
some of these languages have speech support only, and some only have
Braille support. Some have both.

Are there plans to expand language support even further in the future?

Thank you from a curious user,
Chelsea

Quentin Christensen

Also for speech, it depends on the synthesizer - eg as Devin said, eSpeak-NG is one synthesizer, if you are using Windows OneCore Voices then it's up to Microsoft, and if you are using something else like Eloquence, it will be up to the manufacturer of that synthesizer.

Like NVDA, eSpeak-NG is open source, and relies on volunteers to add features like new languages.  if you happen to be able to speak another language which isn't currently supported and would like to have it added to the eSpeak-NG project, please see their page at: https://github.com/espeak-ng/espeak-ng/blob/master/docs/languages.md

The other part of working in a particular language is NVDA's messages and settings.  Like eSpeak-NG we also rely on native speaking volunteers around the world to translate NVDA.  If you are in a position to help, we'd love to have your input.  Please see our page at: https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/wiki/Translating

Kind regards

Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen