From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Shaun Everiss
Sent: Friday, May 28, 2021 1:48 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] nvda and latest windows update

Hi.

This is not a critical showstopper but it appears after the latest optional, for some reason nvda no longer can read some events.

That can include things like the time and some things like network devices, its not a big issue but if you depend on nvda to read the clock from systray you may want to leave this update alone.

Nvda reports uia and garbage errors with virtual buffers but the log doesn't always generate.

You can fix this briefly by restarting nvda but its almost like some events are not beeing able to be read in realtime or something.

One of the fixes with this latest update is to change some reader issues in general with some uia conditions, and I am sure its fixed something.

However some live updateable things are no longer updating.

tim

Is this with new NVDA out or prevouse version? Because not seeing it with 2020.4

On 5/28/2021 4:48 AM, Shaun Everiss wrote:
Hi.

This is not a critical showstopper but it appears after the latest optional, for some reason nvda no longer can read some events.

That can include things like the time and some things like network devices, its not a big issue but if you depend on nvda to read the clock from systray you may want to leave this update alone.

Nvda reports uia and garbage errors with virtual buffers but the log doesn't always generate.

You can fix this briefly by restarting nvda but its almost like some events are not beeing able to be read in realtime or something.

One of the fixes with this latest update is to change some reader issues in general with some uia conditions, and I am sure its fixed something.

However some live updateable things are no longer updating.

On Fri, May 28, 2021 at 09:57 AM, tim wrote:
Is this with new NVDA out or previous version?
-
Excellent question.  And another opportunity to reiterate why it is so important to identify the actual versions on all things involved including the software itself, the add-on (if being discussed), and the version and build, including dot number, for Windows 10.

"The latest" is really meaningless, particularly in regard to Windows, in the age of update rollouts that occur in waves.  It is not at all uncommon for different build dot numbers to be out there concurrently, but very often different versions entirely, the latter for months at a time.

      ~ Brian Vogel

tim

I stated it that way, because even though everyone was told things may break. They seem to not get it!

On 5/28/2021 10:04 AM, Brian Vogel wrote:
On Fri, May 28, 2021 at 09:57 AM, tim wrote:
Is this with new NVDA out or previous version?
-
Excellent question.  And another opportunity to reiterate why it is so important to identify the actual versions on all things involved including the software itself, the add-on (if being discussed), and the version and build, including dot number, for Windows 10.

"The latest" is really meaningless, particularly in regard to Windows, in the age of update rollouts that occur in waves.  It is not at all uncommon for different build dot numbers to be out there concurrently, but very often different versions entirely, the latter for months at a time.

      ~ Brian Vogel

Sarah k Alawami

I'm not having that issue, and I have the latest update, I think.

Windows 10 20H2 (64-bit) build 19042.985

On Fri, May 28, 2021 at 10:52 AM, tim wrote:
because even though everyone was told things may break. They seem to not get it!
-
And this is always the case with alpha and beta software.  The only difference this time is that we're virtually certain that specific types of breakages are going to occur in advance of their actually occurring.  There are times where this is common, and not just with NVDA.  When any kind of tectonic shift in underlying code occurs, this can and does happen.  It's a game of whack a mole for a couple of days to a couple of weeks as the next breakage pops up, gets reported, and then gets fixed.  Lather, rinse, repeat.

Things eventually settle back to normal.

But the move to NVDA 2021.1 requires the warning Bette Davis gave in All About Eve:  Fasten your seatbelts, it's going to be a bumpy night!

But that's all it's going to be.  We will have the morning after, too.

Comparing notes about what the specific bumps are can make sense at times, though.  Others, not so much.

      ~ Brian Vogel

Well, run nvda, move to and read the time as you would usually do in systray.

Now wait a bit, say 5-10 minutes.
Check the time again.

Check with another clock.

At first I tried with windows but my dimention4 sync says I am at the right time.

The time will be  whatever the last time it synced.

Then go to settings and from the nvda menu do a revert to saved configuration and the time will be updated.

I am unsure if the time events are not reading or if they are massively slowed down, because I was on the system for quite a while about 4 hours and suddenly the time did seem to resync but it only happened once like that.

So its either slow or not that fast.

I also found when opening the network icon in my computer or is it this pc, I have changed icons to look like the older icon names I have been used to since windows 95 because I could change the text label.

The network will display.

But it won't always refresh.

In fact I got it into a state where it wouldn't list everything but going to control panel and devices and printers  and scroling round seemed to refresh things.

I am not sure if its nvda or an actual event syncing issue.

Its not a critical showstopper but it does mean for example if I say open the start menu or sometimes open a site some events don't take or I open my computer well this pc or whatever was the last thing I did and I have tried another keyboard, its almost like some events are not being tracked.

The log sometimes lists problems but a lot of the time doesn't.

While this certainly is not a reload all over event, its a potential concern as while I have several clocks here I don't always have a clock near me with my remote work.

So I guess I will have to keep my phone close by to check things.

It doesn't hamper general opperations generally but I did notice this.

It would be interesting exactly where the scenarios applied for the uia changes to be needed in the first place though.

This change has definitely broken some things though.

The only difference is unlike 2019 I can still use the system, its more of an inconvenience rather than a real problem.

As far as my syncronisation program tells me, time is actually normally doing its thing within windows itself.

On 28/05/2021 8:51 pm, Joseph Lee wrote:
Hi,
STR (steps to reproduce) please, as it falls under my area of research (I've been curious about impact of this change myself).
Cheers,
Joseph

This is not a critical showstopper but it appears after the latest optional, for some reason nvda no longer can read some events.

That can include things like the time and some things like network devices, its not a big issue but if you depend on nvda to read the clock from systray you may want to leave this update alone.

Nvda reports uia and garbage errors with virtual buffers but the log doesn't always generate.

You can fix this briefly by restarting nvda but its almost like some events are not beeing able to be read in realtime or something.

One of the fixes with this latest update is to change some reader issues in general with some uia conditions, and I am sure its fixed something.

However some live updateable things are no longer updating.

.

The stable version.

On 29/05/2021 1:57 am, tim wrote:
[...]

Well its the last stable nvda well the corrent nvda stable and the latest build of windows 21h1 may update.

On 29/05/2021 2:04 am, Brian Vogel wrote:
On Fri, May 28, 2021 at 09:57 AM, tim wrote:
Is this with new NVDA out or previous version?
-
Excellent question.  And another opportunity to reiterate why it is so important to identify the actual versions on all things involved including the software itself, the add-on (if being discussed), and the version and build, including dot number, for Windows 10.

"The latest" is really meaningless, particularly in regard to Windows, in the age of update rollouts that occur in waves.  It is not at all uncommon for different build dot numbers to be out there concurrently, but very often different versions entirely, the latter for months at a time.

      ~ Brian Vogel

Hi,
I tried:
1. Start NVDA (under Windows 10 Version 21H1 build 19043.1023).
2. Press Windows+B to go to notification area.
3. Press right arrow until arriving at clock icon.
4. Wait five minutes.

Expected behavior: NVDA announces time changes.
Actual: NVDA announces time changes.
I guess this might be unique to your system unless others report similar issues.
Cheers,
Joseph

On Fri, May 28, 2021 at 02:24 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:
3. Press right arrow until arriving at clock icon.
4. Wait five minutes.
-
Joseph,

           I wanted to give this a try for the heck of it.  I get how to get to the clock icon, and listening to it announce the current time and date.  But what I don't know is how to make it do so again without arrowing off, and back on, to the clock.

           It seems to me that this is not what you or Shaun are actually doing.  How do you go about forcing the reannouncement if you have not moved off the mark, without moving off the mark?

      ~ Brian Vogel

Hi,

When you do move to clock icon, system focus moves along with you, so you can press NVDA+Tab to announce the icon label (by the way, clock changes are announced due to an MSAA event).

Cheers,

Joseph

On Fri, May 28, 2021 at 02:24 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:

3. Press right arrow until arriving at clock icon.
4. Wait five minutes.

-
Joseph,

           I wanted to give this a try for the heck of it.  I get how to get to the clock icon, and listening to it announce the current time and date.  But what I don't know is how to make it do so again without arrowing off, and back on, to the clock.

           It seems to me that this is not what you or Shaun are actually doing.  How do you go about forcing the reannouncement if you have not moved off the mark, without moving off the mark?

      ~ Brian Vogel

In my case, using NVDA 2020.4, on Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 21H1, Build 19043.985, it seems to work fine.

In fact, if I just let NVDA sit on the button, it's announcing the time change automatically as each minute changes.

      ~ Brian Vogel

Well time does update but a bit slowley but yeah.

Who knows.

Its not a big thing and I havn't changed anything as such.

Read the time, then go back and read the timme again is what I did do but  who knows.

On 29/05/2021 6:24 am, Joseph Lee wrote:
[...]

At least this points to something odd going on with a particular system.

I doubt that this is what has changed in build 19043.1023, as the changelog Shaun talks about may have to do with UIA controls, and clock icon is not seen as a UI Automation control by NVDA (years ago I spent a summer weekend adding support for UIA dialog property in NVDA, which was a fun adventure).

Cheers,

Joseph

In my case, using NVDA 2020.4, on Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 21H1, Build 19043.985, it seems to work fine.

In fact, if I just let NVDA sit on the button, it's announcing the time change automatically as each minute changes.

      ~ Brian Vogel

AAh ok thats weird then.

Its almost like a buffer is not clearing or something but still ok.

On 29/05/2021 6:39 am, Joseph Lee wrote:

[...]

Hmmm some of the issues I have had only happen on the hp systems I own and not others so it could be one of those random configuration issues going about.

For example I have an error code 8000 on updates on my hp systems 2 of them that say they can't install yet they do and not my asus one.

If I get the same issue on theother intel hp system I have as well as my amd one then its probably a wait and see what happens its going to eventually get fixed and it can be gotten round.

If there is a key to tell nvda to refresh  its buffers and everything that would probably do.

On 29/05/2021 6:48 am, Joseph Lee wrote:

Hi,

At least this points to something odd going on with a particular system.

I doubt that this is what has changed in build 19043.1023, as the changelog Shaun talks about may have to do with UIA controls, and clock icon is not seen as a UI Automation control by NVDA (years ago I spent a summer weekend adding support for UIA dialog property in NVDA, which was a fun adventure).

Cheers,

Joseph

In my case, using NVDA 2020.4, on Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 21H1, Build 19043.985, it seems to work fine.

In fact, if I just let NVDA sit on the button, it's announcing the time change automatically as each minute changes.

      ~ Brian Vogel

Hi,

Having a key to refresh the buffer is not really a solution because it is really MSAA events that are involved in announcing clock icon refreshes.

Cheers,

Joseph

In my case, using NVDA 2020.4, on Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 21H1, Build 19043.985, it seems to work fine.

In fact, if I just let NVDA sit on the button, it's announcing the time change automatically as each minute changes.

      ~ Brian Vogel

Gene

Also in Windows 7, you can use speak current object, numpad 8 in desktop keyboard mode.  You get less verbiage and it is a one hand command.
You can also use read current line NVDA key up arrow.  I expect these commands to work in Windows 10, but I can’t check.