NVDA and Libre Office Calc

Cearbhall O'Meadhra

Hi,

Can NVDA work with Libre Office calc in the same way that it does with Microsoft Excel?

I particularly, need to use the row and column heading feature: NVDA + shift + c and NVDA + shift + r. These work fine in Excel but they do not seem to work in Calc even when I have saved the spread sheet as a .xlsx file.

All advice welcome.

All the best,

Cearbhall

Avast logo

Cearbhall,

I hate even giving this response, but it's a suggestion based on a hunch.  The commands you give from NVDA are, if memory serves, NVDA specific and are used on an Excel spreadsheet where the person who created the spreadsheet did not use the Excel row and column heading feature that carries this information along with the xlsx file itself so that other users don't have to go "the screen reader route" of defining these each time the file is opened.

Have you tried using the Excel built-in heading definition function, then opening a file saved with same in Calc to see if it makes any difference in what NVDA can pick up under Calc?

         ~ John F. Kennedy

Quentin Christensen

Cearbhall,

NVDA has not traditionally worked as well with Libre Office Calc as with Excel - primarily because traditionally we just haven't had the cooperation from Libre Office devs to enable it.  We are starting to get some more collaboration so I'm hoping for good things in both future versions of Libre Office and of NVDA.

I hadn't tried Calc lately, but you are right, headers don't seem to work.  I just had a quick look at our issues and couldn't see one in there for it.  If someone else could double check please and write up if needed, that would be great: https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues

Brian,

The headers that NVDA creates are named cells in Excel which other screenreaders can recognise and work with.  I must admit I haven't looked into the technicalities of automatically defining Excel's table headings as headers which NVDA could work with.  I do think the idea does deserve some more discussion.  Again, I couldn't see an issue for this, so if you are interested in writing one up, it would be worth more discussion on GitHub.

Kind regards

Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen